A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Re: A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

Post by Amsel_ »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The one thing that rubs me the wrong way is that you're basing your opinion then on race, rather than on culture. I think you do make it clear its hard to draw a line though. One thing to consider is that hating a race is more harmful than hating people from a country, which is why I'm more inclined to deem that unacceptable.
Actually I thought about this some more, I think for the health of a forum it might be good to draw the line somewhat sooner, at for example statements that serve no purpose other than to be hateful.
Hateful to anyone, any group, or only certain groups?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

gibson wrote:I would bet money that there is a stronger correlation between time studied and IQ than there is between "Actual intelligence" and IQ. Obviously theres no way to go about demonstrating this, but it seems likely to me
someone scored poorly on an IQ test in the past?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

knusch wrote:
gibson wrote:I would bet money that there is a stronger correlation between time studied and IQ than there is between "Actual intelligence" and IQ. Obviously theres no way to go about demonstrating this, but it seems likely to me
In America 60 is considered very high
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

gibson wrote:
knusch wrote:
In America 60 is considered very high
can we count this as offensive towards mentally disabled ppl?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Amsel_ wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Actually I thought about this some more, I think for the health of a forum it might be good to draw the line somewhat sooner, at for example statements that serve no purpose other than to be hateful.
Anyone and any group.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Except the liebers
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Anyone and any group.
So none of the following posts are acceptable?

-I hate you.
-Conservatives are morons.
-Black people suck.
-You can tell that someone is scum based on whether or not they drink soda.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Iirc there were some studies showing that education is close to irrelevant compared to genetics, when it comes to IQ. Basically if you have a twin and he gets a terrible education while you get a great one, you'll still have roughly the same IQ. Sadly I can't (or am too lazy to?) find the source right now.
Then I guess another question is whether IQ describes "intelligence" accurately or not.

Regardless, I do think studying is really overrated
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Amsel_ wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Anyone and any group.

-I hate you.
-Black people suck.
I suppose I hate you is somewhat acceptable.

Somehow "you can tell someone is scum based on whether or not they drink soda" is just funny to me.

Second place goes to Conservatives are morons. Not necessarily acceptable, but if you consider all conservative ideas stupid then I suppose its more reasonable to say you think conservatives are stupid. But the same is true for democrats are morons.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Iirc there were some studies showing that education is close to irrelevant compared to genetics, when it comes to IQ. Basically if you have a twin and he gets a terrible education while you get a great one, you'll still have roughly the same IQ. Sadly I can't (or am too lazy to?) find the source right now.
Then I guess another question is whether IQ describes "intelligence" accurately or not.

Regardless, I do think studying is really overrated
Actually I think studying was not quite the right term for me to use. I meant being educated about a certain subject. Like if you take 2 people, and person A is naturally much better at math than person B, but person B has taken calculus 2 and person A hasnt, if they are both asked to find the surface area of a solid of revolution, person B will probably get the right answer, or at least close to it, while person A probably won't(unless they are some sort of math savient). Also, studying itself isn't so important when you're learning basics, but as you get to more advanced classes it becomes much more important.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think the general rule of thumb is it's fine to make fun of people for things that are within their control, and less fine(to varying degrees) to do so for things outside of their control.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gibson wrote:I think the general rule of thumb is it's fine to make fun of people for things that are within their control, and less fine(to varying degrees) to do so for things outside of their control.
A thing a lot of people here seem to be struggling with (or are just making arguments in bad faith) is that there aren't always clear lines with things. Sometimes you have to understand how social cues work
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
gibson wrote:I think the general rule of thumb is it's fine to make fun of people for things that are within their control, and less fine(to varying degrees) to do so for things outside of their control.
A thing a lot of people here seem to be struggling with (or are just making arguments in bad faith) is that there aren't always clear lines with things. Sometimes you have to understand how social cues work
What some people struggle with is that even if its okay it might not be a nice thing to say.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

@gibson Sure, if you ask them something really specific like that calculating that area (which requires a formula). But if you test their overall logic, like in IQ tests I believe, A would score higher.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Well yes and when I say fine I don't mean that its a good or nice thing do, but rather its fair game when insulting someone.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Ive always believed that trying to understand complex things trains your brain a bit. So if you take apart twins and just try to make one guy understand high school stuff and let the other just sit around and do nothing, that the latter would end up having a lower iq.
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

iNcog wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes

-I hate you.
-Black people suck.
They're all fine except for the one on black people.
Why are black people the only ones immune from hate?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Amsel_ wrote:
iNcog wrote:
Show hidden quotes
They're all fine except for the one on black people.
You didnt ask him if "white people suck" is okay, though.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Kaiserklein wrote:@gibson Sure, if you ask them something really specific like that calculating that area (which requires a formula). But if you test their overall logic, like in IQ tests I believe, A would score higher.
But isn't that all math is, finding the correct formula and applying it? I have never taken an iq test but I assume it's going to have more complex than 2+2x5. And it's the same for anything really that it relies on previous knowledge, not just logic. If a science section asks you whats the 4rd layer of the earth, since its multiple choice you can logically deduce that its probably not the crust, but your still left with several options and unless you remember that exact question from science class probably wont get it right. Or a social studies question asking who's 3rd in line to be president if the president, vice president, and speaker of the house die. Again if you don't remember this fact you can't really logically deduce it, even though knowing or not knowing this single fact dont have anything to do with one's intelligence, just whether or not you've been taught this fact. The point is there's no possible way that you can quantify someones intelligence via asking them a few hundred questions. What even is intelligence for that matter. You might be better at math than a car mechanic, but when it comes to rebuilding an engine he runs circles around you. Both of those skills show someone's intelligence, but only one of them is measured on an iq test.
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

iNcog wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Their skin color has nothing to do with their choices. It's an inherent quality of theirs, which has nothing to do with their quality as a person.
Suppose someone is an atheist, a determinist. They think that people don't actually have choices, and everything they do is the result of inherent qualities of theirs. Can this person insult someone over anything? Intelligence is also very dependent on someone's genes, so a lot of people can't help it if they're low IQ. Should we ban insulting people for their intelligence? Furthermore, why does race seem to be so emphasized in its protection? I feel like if a short man were to get on a stage and demand preferential employment, banning of jokes about short people, Napoleonic history month, etc, he would get laughed out of the room; yet races do it, and the entire world considers achieving those things a moral crusade.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

All of this assumes the amount of melanin in someone's skin means anything at all.