A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ā†‘
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

gibson wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:@gibson Sure, if you ask them something really specific like that calculating that area (which requires a formula). But if you test their overall logic, like in IQ tests I believe, A would score higher.
But isn't that all math is, finding the correct formula and applying it? I have never taken an iq test but I assume it's going to have more complex than 2+2x5. And it's the same for anything really that it relies on previous knowledge, not just logic. If a science section asks you whats the 4rd layer of the earth, since its multiple choice you can logically deduce that its probably not the crust, but your still left with several options and unless you remember that exact question from science class probably wont get it right. Or a social studies question asking who's 3rd in line to be president if the president, vice president, and speaker of the house die. Again if you don't remember this fact you can't really logically deduce it, even though knowing or not knowing this single fact dont have anything to do with one's intelligence, just whether or not you've been taught this fact. The point is there's no possible way that you can quantify someones intelligence via asking them a few hundred questions. What even is intelligence for that matter. You might be better at math than a car mechanic, but when it comes to rebuilding an engine he runs circles around you. Both of those skills show someone's intelligence, but only one of them is measured on an iq test.
Well yeah, looks like you've never taken an IQ test haha. It's really quite simple, it's basic logic stuff. Like, being able to spot patterns and that sort of shit. It's not about knowing which formula to use or whatever, it's not linked to knowledge.
Anyway I do agree IQ doesn't necessarily describe someone's intelligence accurately (we'd need to first describe properly what "intelligence" even means, it's a pretty abstract concept). I was just arguing that (iirc) they proved IQ was correlated with genetics, rather than education (say, a kid who learns to read mostly on his own, would have a twin that can do the same, regardless of different families). But I do understand what you mean about "actual" intelligence not being about reading books.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

gibson wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:@gibson Sure, if you ask them something really specific like that calculating that area (which requires a formula). But if you test their overall logic, like in IQ tests I believe, A would score higher.
But isn't that all math is, finding the correct formula and applying it?
Well there is much more about maths than just "finding the correct formula and applying it".

IQ measure essentially pattern recognition for some specific type of patterns. Our brain is very good at finding patterns since he is naturally trained for it, but specific skills requires specific patterns that are learned through studying and experience.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Bad faith arguments, virtue signaling, facts are embedded in historical contexts impossible to centrifugate from certain conclusions, oh no, cherry picking rotten cherries fallen to the ground, an impossibility to accurately assign a genuineness probability that must, must, must exist to statements made all over a spectrum but ostensibly-ish not, something assumed to justify some things but never stated, inconsistent datums, people having fun, people having fun with people because people are less, people having not fun, more rotten cherries, no cherries on trees anymore, actually the trees all scuttled away or there is the Mandela Effect, slippery slopes somehow on salt plains, nothing not fallacious, some things more fallacious, some cherries are stepped on and stick on soles for five to seven paces or are pulverized, peeling onions sucks, no science in stabbing stuff: fun, why does no one want to find where the cherry trees scuttled to? In the end going to supermarkets, there isn't enough land, no one knowing why or how things came to be this way or why or how they can't grow cherries like the ones in the supermarkets which they get to own by paying: their own fresh cherries, tasting a first fresh cherry and not liking cherries at all, 51%
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

why does incog hate basement content
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
European Union UrvyZnapy
Skirmisher

Post by UrvyZnapy »

@Goodspeed I see my name in the poll but I did not do it. Probably more people on that list are being impersonated too.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

gibson wrote:This is a bit off topic but IQ is stupid anyway, you can't quantify someones intelligence.
gibson wrote: I would bet money that there is a stronger correlation between time studied and IQ than there is between "Actual intelligence" and IQ. Obviously theres no way to go about demonstrating this, but it seems likely to me
gibson wrote: Actually I think studying was not quite the right term for me to use. I meant being educated about a certain subject. Like if you take 2 people, and person A is naturally much better at math than person B, but person B has taken calculus 2 and person A hasnt, if they are both asked to find the surface area of a solid of revolution, person B will probably get the right answer, or at least close to it, while person A probably won't(unless they are some sort of math savient). Also, studying itself isn't so important when you're learning basics, but as you get to more advanced classes it becomes much more important.
gibson wrote: But isn't that all math is, finding the correct formula and applying it? I have never taken an iq test but I assume it's going to have more complex than 2+2x5. And it's the same for anything really that it relies on previous knowledge, not just logic. If a science section asks you whats the 4rd layer of the earth, since its multiple choice you can logically deduce that its probably not the crust, but your still left with several options and unless you remember that exact question from science class probably wont get it right. Or a social studies question asking who's 3rd in line to be president if the president, vice president, and speaker of the house die. Again if you don't remember this fact you can't really logically deduce it, even though knowing or not knowing this single fact dont have anything to do with one's intelligence, just whether or not you've been taught this fact. The point is there's no possible way that you can quantify someones intelligence via asking them a few hundred questions. What even is intelligence for that matter. You might be better at math than a car mechanic, but when it comes to rebuilding an engine he runs circles around you. Both of those skills show someone's intelligence, but only one of them is measured on an iq test.
initially u doubted the "absolute correctness" of an abstract made up concept to measure intelligence - which is fine, noone gonna rly take the stance that it has to be 100% perfect
idk what that bet supposed to be...
and later it turns out u dont know the fundamental idea behind how IQ is tested - my man confused an IQ test with a quiz show haha :flowers: :flowers:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

haha
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

To be fair if you practice for an IQ test ("study" for it) you'll do better than if you were unprepared. But yeah, knowledge of maths doesn't help.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

About IQ, there are really smart people that they are just faster. At least you can conclude since there are less smart people(retarded etc.) there should be smarter according to gaussian distribution. But for sure, studying is a must to accomplish anything.
About controversial content i think internet is free and if you need absract help to defend any idea, it will just supress people. And what is offensive is subjective. I think believing in Nazism is offensive. (you will agree). I think believing in Talmud(Jewish holybook) is offensive.(you will disagree). But in Talmud, non jews are described as non human and has same rights as animals. HOW can i tolerate a person who believes it, and you BAN me cause of my speech?
About other offensive things, like calling gay etc. It's just social communication, i can give analysis/book on it but i think its just commensense. You wont change peoples mind or nature. Only make forum more official. But people will find their ways to communicate anyway, like kids in class and in outside. If you are being offended on something, people will focus on you not because of that 'something', but you are offended and not relax. People sense the insecurity in you and push you. It can be anything being fat, slim, short, race, hair etc. We are all different, but not all of we are cool with it. Best way to know a person is how they see themselves. STREET 101 really, in modern times people are trapped in individualism and digitalism so much we dont understand the communucation/social dynamics. But still in a pixel forum or anything our nature will show itself in any social construct. If you try to hide it, it will pop up somewhere else.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Forgot to reply to this:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Also I found the rules, this is the relevant one:
9) No discrimination. Bigotry, racism and other forms of discrimination, as well as fragile or offensive religious, political or origin references, will not be tolerated. Most topics are open to discussion on ESOC, as long as such topics remain respectful and have well-thought arguments in them. Bigotry does not contribute to any discussion. While you may disagree with others, do so respectfully.
Not that I disagree with this rule in particular, but I don't intend on enforcing the site-wide rules in off topic and see them as intended for the AoE3 forums. As far as I'm concerned OT doesn't have rules yet. I need to poll stuff and think about it more before writing rules. The two major things I don't like about the current rules is how many there are (no one can be expected to read them all let alone follow them) and the fact that it's not allowed to discuss moderation publicly, which we are doing here and I believe to be quite healthy.

Link for the interested: viewtopic.php?f=325&t=5351
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Shit those rules collectively are shorter than many single posts made in OT.

Good rules are good. Good luck making them!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@Goodspeed The problem with your approach is having an off-topic where you can freely say the n word will reflect poorly on ESOC as a whole
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You seem misinformed as to what my approach is. Please point me to any posts where people are using racial slurs (outside of meta discussion), I may have missed them.
If my approach was to allow anything and everything, why would I have posted this poll?
We are left with a 75% majority who thinks people should be able to express controversial viewpoints in off topic. Two thirds of that thinks we shouldn't allow the use of offensive language. One question I will want to get more detail on in the next poll is: What constitutes offensive language?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

A weird thread was deleted earlier, who did that? Is freedom of speech no longer the policy here?
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

This thread is making no progress.

I propose we make community mods less strictly laissez-faire and more strictly badass.

For example, like this:
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Just ban bigots, it's not that fucking hard
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

:ear:
Attachments
dolan racist.PNG
racists 4.PNG
bramboy racist.PNG
wolf racist.PNG
amsel being racist.PNG
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

:ear:
Attachments
racism.PNG
pecelot racist.PNG
typical bramboy racism.PNG
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

@iNcog lol
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo ā€“ The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I used to get banned for bumping threads.