A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

Post by Goodspeed »

91 wrote:
UrvyZnapy wrote:@Goodspeed I see my name in the poll but I did not do it. Probably more people on that list are being impersonated too.
This seems to go unnoticed. But basically this is why you can't (and should not) use any of the results on this poll to make decisions...
There's no way to tell how many others are being impersonated
I went through all individual responses and the vast majority was consistent with what I would expect from each poster. The overall result was also to be expected. So even if there are more fake entries, the effect isn't statistically significant.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Diversity is good, socioeconomic challenges affecting mobility should be addressed, all of Scandinavia+ and Canada and Germany and France and UK and Belgium, Austria, Australia, Japan and co. are more mobile than the US, infinities of factors across a globe, data is like play-doh, infinities of factors back at home, lots of so many factors, it can sometimes take days to wash the smell of play-doh off your hands. Also how long is a year? No clue.

I am curious, what is the central point you are making Dolan? I, too, would like to improve mobility, address issues affecting the socioeconomically disadvantaged. It is not in my power to do it, so I vote for public officials who run on such grounds with respective policy.
When are you guys going to deal with reality, instead of being so uppity and offended by words?

I'm not quite sure how eliminating racial slurs from societal usage is contributing negatively to the issue of racial segregation. Or if that's not it, what your other point is then to stop stop using them. I guess a society can only stop calling its folks slurs when racism has already gone away, like a paradox. It's all a part of the multidimensional plan to do away with bigotry that was implanted in my head when a couple of lesbians dumped acid in the city water supply and George Soros paid off a bunch of daycares to allow ex-CIA agents (now offed) to run MK-Ultra2 hypnosis experiments on 3 year olds to push his agenda.

Words are impactful and I wrote a very long post in another thread arguing that words are impactful.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:
91 wrote:This seems to go unnoticed. But basically this is why you can't (and should not) use any of the results on this poll to make decisions...
I went through all individual responses and the vast majority was consistent with what I would expect from each poster. The overall result was also to be expected. So even if there are more fake entries, the effect isn't statistically significant.
Are you serious Goodspeed? This is a small community, so any one person rigging the poll will have statistical significance.. and I bet chu that there are more than one of these, or one person faking multiple entries.
Get all the team + some vocal members on discord/teamspeak one day and decide then.. using polls for this is a sub-par way to do it I think.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

His point was that, as Americans, you shouldn't complain about racism on the internet while there is racism in real life America. "If you hate racism so much, then fix it". Of course, it's a dumb point to make. The only way he could reasonably argue there is hypocrisy there is if you had the power to fix racism in real life America, which you obviously don't.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

That's what I said yup.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

aaryngend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
91 wrote:This seems to go unnoticed. But basically this is why you can't (and should not) use any of the results on this poll to make decisions...
Are you serious Goodspeed? This is a small community, so any one person rigging the poll will have statistical significance.. and I bet chu that there are more than one of these, or one person faking multiple entries.
Get all the team + some vocal members on discord/teamspeak one day and decide then.. using polls for this is a sub-par way to do it I think.
What result of this poll is unexpected to you and makes you suspect significant foul play?
And do you understand that by continuously bringing it up, you are increasing the chances someone will cheat?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It seems like people naturally segregate each other in the USA. At least on a rate above average, there are also cases where this phenomenon happens less.

https://www.livescience.com/20663-black ... hoods.html

So it's not just a question of someone segregating them through external pressure, but also their own preference to live in neighbourhoods of similar ethnic/racial backgrounds.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Could be. I think it is also so much more complex.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Its natural for people to prefer to stay in an area of their background, it isn't racism it is natural human tendency to find comfort and friendlier environment. Racism is discrimination, correct example to argue would be a white neighborhood disallowing a black man to visit a park in their area.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I think nobody doubts that. But then, why would they find "comfort and friendlier environment" only among their kind? Seems a bit primitive. Especially if everyone speaks the same language, so there's no major barrier between people understanding each other.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What result of this poll is unexpected to you and makes you suspect significant foul play?
And do you understand that by continuously bringing it up, you are increasing the chances someone will cheat?
I don't know the people on here too well, so I can't say anything about their expectd behaviour in filling out this poll. I'm talking from a purely logical perspective. I got a background in (applied) maths, statistics being one of them, so I felt the need to chime in. I mean, you see already that someone on here got impersonated/his name used to make it look legit, so there's that.
Again, why would you "expect" this or that result from this or that person anyway? The poll being rigged means the poll is rigged.. there aren't hundreds of people voting :roll:
That's like saying it's okay if people cheat in these polls, since this end result is very close to the result in a situation where nobody had cheated anyway.. which is just... plain wrong.
By bringing it up.. well I just did so once, maybe you realize sooner how badly thought out the system is and change it accordingly ^_^

There are only a handful of people here who care about the handling of controversial content on this board.. most people post normally about aoe3 stuff and automatically adhere to all rules, so it doesn't affect them.
These few people who care about having the least amount of mod intervention are the most likely to rig the poll into their favour.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Goodspeed wrote:
91 wrote:
UrvyZnapy wrote:@Goodspeed I see my name in the poll but I did not do it. Probably more people on that list are being impersonated too.
This seems to go unnoticed. But basically this is why you can't (and should not) use any of the results on this poll to make decisions...
LOL....
Retired Contributor

I doubt that everyone speaks same language, dresses the same way, prays to same god, and so on and so on... Even English language itself has variations and ways of speaking based on communities. Its much easier to sync with people who are from same background rather than a complete stranger.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

aaryngend wrote:By bringing it up.. well I just did so once, maybe you realize sooner how badly thought out the system is and change it accordingly ^_^
The same point has been made multiple times. And there is no perfect system. Our identities here aren't linked to real-life identities, so I have no way of making 100% sure every vote is legit. The thing is, they don't have to be. Give or take 10% on the results is not going to change the message. To affect the results in a way that is statistically significant, i.e. changes the decisions I would make based on the poll, there would have to be many. And since I know the people here and can see each individual response, I know there was no significant foul play.
There are only a handful of people here who care about the handling of controversial content on this board.. most people post normally about aoe3 stuff and automatically adhere to all rules, so it doesn't affect them.
These few people who care about having the least amount of mod intervention are the most likely to rig the poll into their favour.
That isn't true. Many people want more mod intervention, and they're quite passionate about it.
I got a background in (applied) maths, statistics being one of them,
Of course you do. And I appreciate the feedback, but this isn't a scientific study. The margin of error is large, and that's fine.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

So woke
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

@princeofcarthage
you discriminate when you choose to have apples over bananas for lunch. In the same way, a person with black skin choosing to live in a neighbourhood of similarly coloured people is discriminating, because they are choosing that neighbourhood over others ones. It's the same regardless of the amount of melanin in the sin.
All this to say, I generally agree with your point, but I think your argument is weak.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

chris1089 wrote:@princeofcarthage
you discriminate when you choose to have apples over bananas for lunch. In the same way, a person with black skin choosing to live in a neighbourhood of similarly coloured people is discriminating, because they are choosing that neighbourhood over others ones. It's the same regardless of the amount of melanin in the sin.
All this to say, I generally agree with your point, but I think your argument is weak.
I think your argument is weak.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

There are several different definitions of discrimination, and I am unsure which you are using, or if you are mistakenly using two and conflating them.

You use the word "choose" as if choice is the only factor. I think there are many more factors that go into where one lives, especially as applied over a large number of people as you have (city demographic).
Retired Contributor

chris1089 wrote:@princeofcarthage
This isn't discrimination, this is a person's right to choose where to live and in what conditions to live. A public national park not allowing black people to enter is discrimination. A shipping company not delivering goods to black people is discrimination. A hotel refusing to accommodate black person is racism. Ideally for discrimination to be labeled as racism you need 3 or more parties. One or more which provides services, and 2 or more among whom discrimination is done. In other cases it just becomes a question of persons right, unfortunately even if its blatant racism. Like you can't force a person to marry black person if they don't want to.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I'd suggest looking up the word discriminate in a dictionary.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I'd suggest looking up the word discriminate in a dictionary.
What'd you get?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

deleted_user wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I'd suggest looking up the word discriminate in a dictionary.
What'd you get?
Discrimino, discriminare
(1) To seperate, to isolate
(2) To distinguish

Discrimineren
(1) To distinguish
(2) To disadvantage someone based on irrelevant things

Discriminate
(1) To treat a person or a particular group of people differently
(2) To be able to see the difference between two things or people

Discriminer
(1) to distinguish
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I think Jerom said it. I was using the above definition, whereas you were using a different one. I think I'd call what you are calling "discrimination" actual racism etc. Discrimination is not limited to immutable characteristics, but rather is choosing something ahead of something else on any basis. Something I would consider wrong, pertaining to the topic of this discussion is immutable. (ie. black skin)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Thanks for the clarification. Here's what I got:
Attachments
IMG_6558.PNG