How about a Chess tourney?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

How about a Chess tourney?

Post by Scroogie »

I have gathered that several players on ESOC are playing chess too, so maybe a little tournament would be a fun thing to do? Just curious how many play chess and would like to participate in such a thing.

Doing this is quite easy, i created a test tourney on lichess in under 2 minutes, and you only need to create an account which is free: https://lichess.org/tournament/n6hWiRzs

The rules of the tourney right now are 3+2 blitz, lasting for 30min and starting on Saturday 15 CET (14 gmt). These are just arbitrary settings picked by me, we can change them of course in another tournament. password is esoc2020chess

@bwinner @deleted_user4 @[Armag] diarouga , dont know of others who play chess
password is esoc2020chess , forgot to post that lol

old tourney (conflicts with incogs cup, please leave that one and join the new one): https://lichess.org/tournament/EnyGpNCa
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Peru Ezad
Advanced Player
ESO: Ezad
Clan: KEKs

Re: How about a Chess tourney?

Post by Ezad »

@Dennis234 chill
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I'm in. What's the password tho ?
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

in!
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

in
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
European Union Scroogie
Lancer

Post by Scroogie »

Edited the password.
I also recall @Zutazuta mentioned he played chess as a youngster (which would be a century back now).
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

In !

The Candidates tournament is underway right now in Russia by the way.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer

Post by Scroogie »

Im very happy to see that this is gaining interest and want to clarify, if you want to participate, you need a lichess account and then sign in under the link in the original post with the password: esoc2020chess !
The rules of the tourney right now are 3+2 blitz, lasting for 30min and starting on Saturday 15 CET (14 gmt). These are just arbitrary settings picked by me, we can change them of course in another tournament.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer

Post by Scroogie »

@Aizamk @[Armag] diarouga @bwinner @spadel @hleung @Sargsyan @Le Hussard sur le toit @Ezad @Djigit
I created a new tourney which is one hour earlier and doesnt conflict with incogs empire cup starting time. Please leave the old one and join the new one. Sorry for the inconvenience.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Noob.
Howdah

Done.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

In will sign up soon
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

Can we please play without increment? :dry:
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

We should have a Go one too.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

spadel wrote:Can we please play without increment? :dry:
No, playing without increment is dumb.
When playing a chess game, you are not supposed to lose on time, because then you didn't lose the chess game (ie you didn't lose against your opponent), you lost to the clock if you see what I mean. The point of using a clock is to make sure that the game is fair as players can spend the same amount of time to think about their moves, it's not to make chess a speed game. With a 2sec increment, you'll reach a point where you can't think about your moves but you shouldn't lose on time.
Thus, if the position is an easy draw, that requires less than 2 sec/move, it will be a draw, and if you have a huge advantage (like an extra queen), you can end the game and win.
Howdah

Increment is way better especially if we are going for a 3min time control.
Howdah

Jam wrote:We should have a Go one too.
We are playing real games here.
Portugal sergyou
Lancer

Post by sergyou »

No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
When playing a chess game, you are not supposed to lose on time, because then you didn't lose the chess game (ie you didn't lose against your opponent), you lost to the clock if you see what I mean. The point of using a clock is to make sure that the game is fair as players can spend the same amount of time to think about their moves, it's not to make chess a speed game. With a 2sec increment, you'll reach a point where you can't think about your moves but you shouldn't lose on time.
Thus, if the position is an easy draw, that requires less than 2 sec/move, it will be a draw, and if you have a huge advantage (like an extra queen), you can end the game and win.
I strongly disagree, it’s a fundamental skill in chess, to analyze positions more quickly than your opponent and thus find the better moves under time pressure. If two players reach a drawn position, while A player used 95% of his time and the player B only used 20%, B clearly outperformed and deserves the win under that aspect. Flagging is annoying, but it’s part of Blitz and Bullet, and I support it.

By the way this is not just my opinion, online chess tournaments are almost exclusively played in 3+0 or 1+0 mode.
Howdah

spadel wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
I strongly disagree, it’s a fundamental skill in chess, to analyze positions more quickly than your opponent and thus find the better moves under time pressure. If two players reach a drawn position, while A player used 95% of his time and the player B only used 20%, B clearly outperformed and deserves the win under that aspect. Flagging is annoying, but it’s part of Blitz and Bullet, and I support it.

By the way this is not just my opinion, online chess tournaments are almost exclusively played in 3+0 or 1+0 mode.
Managing your clock is part of the chess skill set but losing because you used a few seconds more than your opponent to get a rook up position is just dumb.
Adding an increment boost significantly the quality of play while only marginally increasing the duration of the game. I'd much rather play 2/1 than 3 KO.
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
spadel wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Managing your clock is part of the chess skill set but losing because you used a few seconds more than your opponent to get a rook up position is just dumb.
So the commonly used rules for online chess tournaments are dumb? :hmm:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

spadel wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

If you're quicker at analyzing the positions, then you can analyze the positions deeper than your opponent. If you reach a drawn position when your opponent only has a few seconds (with time increment) and you have 2 minutes, you didn't manage your time properly. You should have spent your time to fight for a win instead of playing your moves in no time and reaching a draw.

It's like the 8 year-old kids who lose on the board games in 10 minutes while they have 1 hour on the clock, they should learn to manage their time, and this is a skill.

With no time increment, especially in online games, you can reach absurd situations where both players have to premove because they need to play 50 moves in 10 seconds, and they're just gambling on their opponent's move.
Chess is a strategy game, not a game where you gamble because you have to premove.
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

I disagree with you @Diarouga, but we could discuss this forever and don’t come to a conclusion. Blitz and Bullet are just played in 3+0 and 1+0, that’s how it is. :P
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

spadel wrote:
Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
Show hidden quotes
So the commonly used rules for online chess tournaments are dumb? :hmm:
55-60% of the online tourmants are played without increment, so it's not like all the online tournaments are played without increment.
By the way, from what I saw watching streams, high level online tournaments are played with increment. And it makes sense, because you need increment when you want to play quality games.

Playing chess without increment is just like playing on RE maps, the game quality is worse and it's less competitive but for some reasons, some guys prefer it.
Howdah

spadel wrote:I disagree with you @Diarouga, but we could discuss this forever and don’t come to a conclusion. Blitz and Bullet are just played in 3+0 and 1+0, that’s how it is. :P
That's certainly not "how it is", almost all over the board professional chess tournament are with increment, even in blitz or armagedhon games. Even in online pro tournament they often play with increment (for example chess.com's speed chess championship has 5/1, 3/1 and 1/1 games).