AOE2 DE THREAD

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
France iNcog
Ninja

AOE2 DE THREAD

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: AOE2 DE THREAD

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iNcog wrote:CAPS TITLE SAYS IT ALL

Ok seriously I am pissed off, I think I played like 6 games yesterday and lost every single fucking one of them. That pissed me the fuck off. My elo is like 1000 on DE, I should be able to win without knowing what i'm doing and just based off pure mechanics and macro but for some reason it seems that my opponents know how to macro better than I do, so fuck that.

It's a crapshoot and I have no idea what the fuck to do in aoe2. What are unit compositions that I can just make a shit ton of and a-move? I think a rule of thumb is to stay the fuck away from castles unless you have rams or trebs. Go to castle age and make 3 TCs and boom your ass off sure. I think booming is okay but wtf units do I make??????

@Goodspeed

help
First of all: Watch pro games. They're not just informative but also quite entertaining. The last big tournament was Hidden Cup 3. Start at ro16.

Unit comps work a bit differently in AoE2 than in AoE3. Blacksmith upgrades are very important, and if you choose to upgrade your archers you can't just add unupgraded cavalry and expect them to do much. Compositions with multiple unit types in them are therefore less common. Typically, and especially on lower levels, you start a game planning to make mostly 1 unit type in the early game. You don't have to mix in other stuff unless your unit of choice gets hard countered, until you're in imperial age and you've had time and resources to get blacksmith upgrades for multiple types. (Most games reach that point).

Which unit to go for depends on your civ. It's almost always either archers (incl cav archers, because the same upgrades affect them) or cavalry. Infantry-based compositions are relatively easily outmicroed by archers and therefore only become a thing in imperial age, with some exceptions.

I'd recommend playing a good archer civ to start. Brits maybe. I would recommend Huns because they're well rounded and easy to pick up, but they don't need houses which means their early game build is different and you don't learn to keep an eye on your population.

Btw @blackwidow and I often play 2v2s. The more the merrier! (especially since 3v3s are more fun).
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Shouldn't you be happy that aoe2 takes more brain power than just to follow a sinlge build into a-moving? It's a very complex game and that's what makes it great!
If you want to a-move, you can always play protoss in sc2 /s
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
European Union PancakePrincess
Skirmisher
ESO: PancakePrincess

Post by PancakePrincess »

Oh, it's AoE 2! Time to bring my cross RTS experience to bear!

First of all, do you have your BO figured out? I'd suggest starting with learning how to fast castle into knights, since most people at the lower levels are not good enough to flush (feudal rush) properly. Speaking of feudal rushing, you could also find a BO and practice that. However, that's much harder to pull off, since the upgrade timings and the eco restribution are kind of tight.

I think AoE 2 DE has BO tutorials, but just in case:

- Flush by t90

- Fast Castle into knights by t90

As GS already said, AoE 2 has a lot more mono unit compositions in the early to early mid-game. It's mostly just knights or archers. And as he also pointed out, keep track of yoour upgrades! If you play cav, you want to get +2 armour and bloodlines ASAP and if you play archers you want +2 attack/+2 range ASAP.

Don't worry though, it naturally takes a while to get into the game. It's very different from AoE 3.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Good stuff! I'm down for some games too!
My nick is the same on steam.

Send me some recs btw, i can give you some advice and help you get some virtual ego points up to probably 1300-1400 :-)

Your army comp depends on your civ. Britons can be a really good civ for new players, since it's quite straight forward and enjoyable imo. Another civ that's good for starting out is Magyars, since they have a nice tech tree and useful bonuses.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

My favorite aoe2 memory is when I played a real life friend with hundreds of games played and beat him in a 1v1 while alt tabbing to the shitty build order I want googled and having to ask him how the counter system worked. He was actually average elo too on HD. Raw mechanics are a blessing.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Yeah i think the biggest obstacles are becoming mechanically comfortable with in aoe2 (hotkeys, macro etc), while in aoe3 learning all the MUs on the different maps (and also microing, i personally find it harder on aoe3).
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I recently started playing AoE2:DE, too, and started to love Spanish fast castle for Conquistadors. They lack early-game bonuses, but the Conquistador is arguably the strongest castle-age unit you can have. It is a dragoon-like unit, allowing for easy micro, and does incredible dmg. Also blacksmith upgrades don't cost any gold, which is always nice.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Im up for games if anyone wants to find my steam

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
European Union PancakePrincess
Skirmisher
ESO: PancakePrincess

Post by PancakePrincess »

If you have problems with the economy balancy especially, Hera, a really, really good player, made a video about it. In fact, it's part of a whole series which I'd encourage you to watch (or just listen to when you do other things)

Here's the specific video about economy:

and here's the beginning of the playlist:

Furthermore, I'd also encourage you to just play arena matches against the extreme AI and do a 4TC boom if you think you struggle on that front. The AI is really good at booming and lategame and if you can beat it at that you should also be fine online.

Sorry if I'm a bit too overwhelming with all the videos, but I think it's really educational and I just love to share good ressources :X
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Ireland Snow Lynx
Musketeer

Post by Snow Lynx »

I just play as Lithuania and spam a tonne of their Letis knights. Seem to wipe out everything, no questions asked.

If the opponent uses skirms or archer or halbs etc, just build some onagers.

Although I suppose it depends what level of person you’re playing lol
How do you write a signature?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

The most recent patch seemed to buff quite a few civs kind of in a big way, at least according to SotL on YouTube. Teuton buff seems very cool. I do completely agree with you that the counter system in AoE2 seems terrible from the eyes of an AoE3 player, the rock-paper-scissors isn't quite there sadly.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

iNcog wrote:
iNcog wrote:https://www.aoezone.net/attachments/mp- ... rd.177830/

here is a 1v1 I played the other day, got destroyed. I felt like I played pretty okay. Any suggestions or comments?
patch destroyed the replay I think
Welcome to the world without record game compatibility tool :hmm:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

1v1 tournament with all the big names this weekend. Started yesterday, currently playing ro16

https://www.twitch.tv/redbull
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote: