Public Apology to Jailed

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Public Apology to Jailed

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

This is dedicated to @JaiLeD, the Loyal clan and the fine people of Jaileds Twitch chat.

Dear Esoc community, at approximately 22GMT tonight (12/05/20) i officially disgraced 1v1 players as well as myself which I am most ashamed of.

After seeing that Jailed was struggling to find a game on AoE3 RE patch I thought I would be kind enough to offer him a 1v1 game against myself in my own lobby. I intentionally invited Jail (+3 PR my senior) into a 1v1 game to lift my spirits after being repeatedly bashed at the hand of @Hawk_Girl on EP patch and so I found my prey and publicly challenged him on twitch by inviting him into the game lobby titled "Prove on twitch you are a major". I wanted to add the word legit but I had reached the maximum character limit.

I wanted to capitalise on Jailed's lack of 1v1 experience and so I set the map pool to RE standard maps and clicked in as china. My opponent chose Russia where i so confident in my 1v1 skills I remained set as china. The game begins. The map loaded up was Silk road and my heart sunk. China vs Russia on a no-TP map with very limited safe resources in base. Upon ageing to the 2nd age i preemptively sent boxer rebellion in full anticipation of the Russian colonial onslaught which was about to befall me. Unit after unit of Jailed's army fell away however my eco, idled, could only manage to gather on berries with about 13 vills as I slowly clawed my way to the res needed to age up. Even sending 7 steppe riders and beating back the Russian onslaught only delayed my age up further. By the time i safely got to the 3rd age, my eco substantially weaker than my opponents, In base resources dried up and my shipments near non-existent, I bravely ventured out of my base with the confusion academy skirms. Unfortunately the enemy dug in with walls double blockhouse and double stable next to my 3rd hunt, the outlook already looking bleak. An army of vet musket and falcs start to push my resources, the cav were sent in to dispatch the falcs but a poor trade ensued and my remaining army and villagers were forced back onto starting berries, Manchu only gave me a brief respite from the might of the Russian military machine. My final out was the monastery and my back coin mine. I prayed to @Garja that the monastery would be my way back into the game, however i was granted ninjas and arsonists by the gods. After brief raiding with the ninjas, carrying the spirit of @Aizamk (I am not worthy to say his utter his name in this thread) i managed to kill 20 vills but there was no answer to the Russian army with the ninjas being picked off shortly after. They had sacrificed their lives to a terrible commander. At this point i comment "gg wp" and offer my resignation.

After suffering this embarrassing defeat at the hands of jailed, I commented "Cant believe I just lost to a team player". I have let myself down, let my sparring partner and mentor @Mr_Bramboy down, let the twitch viewers down, let the 1v1 players down and worst of all, given team players an undeserved ego boost as a result of my disgraceful performance. I have disgraced the 1v1 scene as I know it.

My upmost humblest apologies :cry:
Signed:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Public Apology to Jailed

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@deleted_user4 update thread
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I will never forgive you.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

That's not the usual apology I'm used to on ESO-C, but Bramboy was still tagged so it's probably fine.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Tbh, killing 20vills is a victory.You are a (legit) captain @I_HaRRiiSoN_I :flowers:
Spain pain train is real
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

"rest bite" :mrgreen:
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Losing to team players is the worst!
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

its ok bram used to lose vs great plains player the great @greatscythe11
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag JaiLeD
Crossbow
ESO: JaiLeD

Post by JaiLeD »

Hahaha, you could be a writer of novels Harrisson! Don't beat yourself up too hard, I may have just got lucky ;)
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

It looks like you didn't cause real harm and are sorry for what you did.
I propose a six month ban
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Team is not harder than 1v1, the game mode inherently allows for players to make more mistakes
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

gibson wrote:Team is not harder than 1v1, the game mode inherently allows for players to make more mistakes
what makes u think that it inherently allows for more mistakes?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Because e.g one bad trade or one raid in 1v1 can be enough to lose. Definitely not in team. Plus if you suck you have team mates to carry you
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

Kaiserklein wrote:Because e.g one bad trade or one raid in 1v1 can be enough to lose. Definitely not in team. Plus if you suck you have team mates to carry you
4 ppl with similar lvl play a 2v2 with fixed teams and teams are practised to play together, i don't see why a bad trade or one raid shouldn't be enough to lose.

how does the chance of one getting carried makes it inherently easier to play? You might get a lucky win here or there but it's not gonna change the fact that you suck....
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Nah lol, even at high level in team you can afford to waste units here and there or lose vils to raid. Everything is less tight, you can buy so much more time, and win without a real strategy / timings, but just abuse your civ's strengths.

Well, if you suck in 1v1 you just lose, it's so much less forgiving. If you suck in team you can still win because your team mates outplay, while all you have to do is essentially train units and vils... As long as you're left alone (for example if your mates deal with the raids), even if you're bad yourself, you can totally mass units and be useful for your team.

Also obviously in team you go for straightforward unit compositions, the macro is easier as a result, and the micro is less important obviously. Basically the only mechanical skill which is more important is multitasking.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

iNcog wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Because e.g one bad trade or one raid in 1v1 can be enough to lose. Definitely not in team. Plus if you suck you have team mates to carry you
I think carrying a bad team mate is harder than just playing for yourself in 1v1.

I can't queue into a team game because I am literally always a liability to my team
Carrying a mate in 2v2 is hard indeed, you macro and pick fights for 2 people. 1v1 is more strategic and more refined than 2v2, and even more than 3v3. For me, 2v2 has a fine balance between casual and competitive.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

Kaiserklein wrote:Nah lol, even at high level in team you can afford to waste units here and there or lose vils to raid. Everything is less tight, you can buy so much more time, and win without a real strategy / timings, but just abuse your civ's strengths.

Well, if you suck in 1v1 you just lose, it's so much less forgiving. If you suck in team you can still win because your team mates outplay, while all you have to do is essentially train units and vils... As long as you're left alone (for example if your mates deal with the raids), even if you're bad yourself, you can totally mass units and be useful for your team.

Also obviously in team you go for straightforward unit compositions, the macro is easier as a result, and the micro is less important obviously. Basically the only mechanical skill which is more important is multitasking.
i would argue this is mainly a result of lack of coordination and not inherent to the game mode for most part.

i think it's quite obvious that the skills required to play 1v1 or team on high lvl translate quite well to the other and vice versa mostly.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

From my own experience I can only say that it was harder to get pr in 1v1 than it was in team. I'd say strategically 1v1 is definitely harder to master, as team is too many variables to do a specific bo for each game/mu, so you mostly just rely on very standardized bo's. Mechanically I think they are just different, team more mulitasking, and 1v1 more micro.
Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cause on top of what kaiser said losing a vil or Huss or 2 vils and 2 Huss or whatever just matter less cause your team has double or triple the eco or military, so when you lose something or miss a batch etc you’re not losing as much relative to if it was 1v1. Also in the current state of the game team builds and strats are very under developed relative to 1v1 builds and strats.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Taking "carrying a bad teammate" as an example to prove that teamgames are harder, thus more competitive, is false.
It's not just about how hard something is, but how much of it is directly the result of your own actions. If I have little or no influence on large parts of the game, then that just means the whole thing is less competitive. In 1vs1, apart from civ strenghts, everything is directly my fault or my gain.
On the same page, FFA games are not competitive at all, albeit this being a much more extreme example compared to 3v3.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

aaryngend wrote: If I have little or no influence on large parts of the game, then that just means the whole thing is less competitive. In 1vs1, apart from civ strenghts, everything is directly my fault or my gain.
On the same page, FFA games are not competitive at all, albeit this being a much more extreme example compared to 3v3.
sry, this makes absolutely no sense

ofc FFA is not competitive and no it's obvsly not an extreme example of 3v3....
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

knusch wrote:i would argue this is mainly a result of lack of coordination and not inherent to the game mode for most part.

i think it's quite obvious that the skills required to play 1v1 or team on high lvl translate quite well to the other and vice versa mostly.
Well I'm not saying that high level team players are shit or anything. I'm saying the game mode as a whole (notably at non top level) is more forgiving. We all know a bunch of pr30+ guys who play only team and whose actual skill is way lower. Then yeah top players are good obviously.

Imo it's a bit inherent to the game mode because of the size of the maps. Huge maps means it's easier to buy time by running units around (even if they end up dying), and harder to punish greedy play because crossing the map to push takes a longer time. Also not as easy to contain passive players as it's easier to sneak vils on resources out of your base, somewhere on that huge map.
Also because you're much more likely to mass one unit type (or two maybe) since you have mate(s). You're not doing the whole unit composition yourself. Makes the micro and macro easier.
And yeah like gibson said, any mistake you make has roughly 1/2 or 1/3 of the impact it would have in 1v1.