Discussion about off-topic & forum rules

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: This is not goodbye.

Post by evilcheadar »

Good ol Ivan wrote:
Hawk_Girl wrote:It sounds wierd to let some people make other people unhappy in order to make the first people happy
Yeah!
Hawk_Girl wrote:The reason football for example is a great global sport is that people from all over the world and all walks of life likes it.
Ofc, but like in everything certain demographics are inclined to like it more than others.
Sure there's plenty of women who enjoy playing and watching football, and call it a stereotype if you like, but it is a fact that there are more men who enjoy watching football than wemen.
Hawk_Girl wrote:I've always been into sports but remember as a kid feeling uncomfortable because drunk people screaming bad shit to everyone.
Well yeah, as a kid you play with other kids or watch it from T.V. with your dad.
If you go to a big a game chances are you won't enjoy the banter of grown drunk men screaming around, doesn't mean it's something that has to change. There's a place where everyone can have fun, but trying to make a place fun and enjoyable for literally everyone just can't work.
Hawk_Girl wrote:And if you argue that that type of banter is what makes it fun, then you in fact do not like the sport (or in this case age of empires 3 the asian dynasties) as much as the others.
That's a pretty bold claim to make. You can enjoy playing the sport and not enjoy the banter, fair enough, but it doesn't mean others do not like the sport just because they enjoy the environment.
Actually I myself prefer to play the AoE3 instead of watching others play it, but it doesn't mean the twitch community is awful because they enjoy to banter as they watch the game. I don't know how you can enjoy watching a game without some banter tbh.
Hawk_Girl wrote:I'm not saying let's mod everything. I'm saying don't be toxic without reason, it's not cool to take fun off of everyone else.
Yeah, here I agree. Just saying banter isn't a bad thing, and people here seem to get annoyed way too easy at the slightest offense. That is far more toxic than a bit of banter by itself.
Hawk_Girl wrote:You probably will continue to do so anyway becasue that seems to be who you are, but I think it's bad.
Not quite, you have to be a particularly annoying person for me to bully you.
why slur ngl
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

Only reasonable situation where it is acceptable to Bully another person is if they Are a japan main
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

evilcheadar wrote:
Good ol Ivan wrote:
Hawk_Girl wrote:It sounds wierd to let some people make other people unhappy in order to make the first people happy
Yeah!
Hawk_Girl wrote:The reason football for example is a great global sport is that people from all over the world and all walks of life likes it.
Ofc, but like in everything certain demographics are inclined to like it more than others.
Sure there's plenty of women who enjoy playing and watching football, and call it a stereotype if you like, but it is a fact that there are more men who enjoy watching football than wemen.
Hawk_Girl wrote:I've always been into sports but remember as a kid feeling uncomfortable because drunk people screaming bad shit to everyone.
Well yeah, as a kid you play with other kids or watch it from T.V. with your dad.
If you go to a big a game chances are you won't enjoy the banter of grown drunk men screaming around, doesn't mean it's something that has to change. There's a place where everyone can have fun, but trying to make a place fun and enjoyable for literally everyone just can't work.
Hawk_Girl wrote:And if you argue that that type of banter is what makes it fun, then you in fact do not like the sport (or in this case age of empires 3 the asian dynasties) as much as the others.
That's a pretty bold claim to make. You can enjoy playing the sport and not enjoy the banter, fair enough, but it doesn't mean others do not like the sport just because they enjoy the environment.
Actually I myself prefer to play the AoE3 instead of watching others play it, but it doesn't mean the twitch community is awful because they enjoy to banter as they watch the game. I don't know how you can enjoy watching a game without some banter tbh.
Hawk_Girl wrote:I'm not saying let's mod everything. I'm saying don't be toxic without reason, it's not cool to take fun off of everyone else.
Yeah, here I agree. Just saying banter isn't a bad thing, and people here seem to get annoyed way too easy at the slightest offense. That is far more toxic than a bit of banter by itself.
Hawk_Girl wrote:You probably will continue to do so anyway becasue that seems to be who you are, but I think it's bad.
Not quite, you have to be a particularly annoying person for me to bully you.
why slur ngl
I had already stated my reasons in the other thread.
I can agree it was not a classy thing to do.
But I still think that people should be able to handle slurs, personally I don't think it's that much big of a deal most of the time. I mean I still see people here pointing fingers at Diarouga for saying "the N word" literally 4 years ago, that's just insane.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

just hit that (ban) button
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

voigt1240 wrote:Only reasonable situation where it is acceptable to Bully another person is if they Are a japan main
This is a very good post.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Good ol Ivan wrote:trying to make a place fun and enjoyable for literally everyone just can't work.
You're right. Making a place that's welcoming and respectful for others is impossible if you're also making it a place where people can attack and offend others (what you're calling banter).

Look, I don't really know you, but I did read the thread where you were banned. Some of the things you wrote were fine, but when you intentionally used a word that someone said was offensive...shit's fucked up man. Of course some people can "take it". But the onus should not be on them to just take it considering that they have had to deal with it for much of their life.

Let me give you a quick example with my experiences. There's been a few members on here who use(d) the word "rape" a lot. It triggers me pretty hard to see it used flippantly. I shared this with some members and while they still didn't understand what the big deal was, they are/were respectful enough to try to limit their usage of the word, particularly when I'm around. It would've been extremely fucked up if, after I shared this with them, they would've responded with something like "fuck you bitch, get raped. I rape all noobs. I raped lots of people in my games last night. I'm raping people now." This is basically what you did to @comradecommissar

That sort of speech is, quite frankly, intolerable to me because it's moving from simply discussing something to purposely trying to hurt someone who has already been hurt. Sure, you can say "grow thicker skin". But how much nicer would the world be if we all just tried our best to show love, compassion, and respect to one another.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

@Community Team out of respect for OP and the concerned he raised, please lock this thread before it get uglier.
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
Good ol Ivan wrote:trying to make a place fun and enjoyable for literally everyone just can't work.
You're right. Making a place that's welcoming and respectful for others is impossible if you're also making it a place where people can attack and offend others (what you're calling banter).

Look, I don't really know you, but I did read the thread where you were banned. Some of the things you wrote were fine, but when you intentionally used a word that someone said was offensive...shit's fucked up man. Of course some people can "take it". But the onus should not be on them to just take it considering that they have had to deal with it for much of their life.

Let me give you a quick example with my experiences. There's been a few members on here who use(d) the word "rape" a lot. It triggers me pretty hard to see it used flippantly. I shared this with some members and while they still didn't understand what the big deal was, they are/were respectful enough to try to limit their usage of the word, particularly when I'm around. It would've been extremely fucked up if, after I shared this with them, they would've responded with something like "fuck you bitch, get raped. I rape all noobs. I raped lots of people in my games last night. I'm raping people now." This is basically what you did to @comradecommissar

That sort of speech is, quite frankly, intolerable to me because it's moving from simply discussing something to purposely trying to hurt someone who has already been hurt. Sure, you can say "grow thicker skin". But how much nicer would the world be if we all just tried our best to show love, compassion, and respect to one another.
I think you need to gift yourself the DE. You’ve been the nicest person on this thread so far lol
thebritish wrote:
19 Jan 2016, 09:58
So, you are saying that if i watch H20's rec, i can beat anyone below H20's level because i know his BO?
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

The Word '' rape'' itself is not bad. It is how it is used. Hawk_girl raped me a few weeks ago with his India.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

so there is a very cogent point which is that actually, yeah, feelings matter. whodafuckinthunkit idk.
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

voigt1240 wrote:The Word '' rape'' itself is not bad. It is how it is used. Victor_swe raped me a few weeks ago with his India.
Do you think that people who've experienced rape would have your same point of view?
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

007Salt wrote:
voigt1240 wrote:The Word '' rape'' itself is not bad. It is how it is used. Victor_swe raped me a few weeks ago with his India.
Do you think that people who've experienced rape would have your same point of view?
I do feel for rape victims, but Surely we can't go around silencing the dictionary.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

There are surely more respectful ways to the say the same thing
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Nice try.

Let's not devolve the discussion into a discussion about specific words. Start a new thread about it or bump a previous thread. :flowers:
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

voigt1240 wrote:
007Salt wrote:
I do feel for rape victims, but Surely we can't go around silencing the dictionary.
What you find in the “urban dictionary” and any other proper dictionary is not the same thing
thebritish wrote:
So, you are saying that if i watch H20's rec, i can beat anyone below H20's level because i know his BO?
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

Kanoo wrote:
voigt1240 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What you find in the “urban dictionary” and any other proper dictionary is not the same thing
I don't get your point
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

voigt1240 wrote:
007Salt wrote:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape

This is the definition of the word. Rape means one thing only and you never know who had to go through it and people don't like to be reminded of it.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

007Salt wrote:
voigt1240 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

This is the definition of the word. Rape means one thing only and you never know who had to go through it and people don't like to be reminded of it.
I get that but nowadays it is impossible to not step on anyones toes. How far should we go in that regard? Films, music lyrics, lectures, general speech. It is a slippery slope. But i will stop using certain words if it is offensive .
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

voigt1240 wrote:
Kanoo wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I don't get your point
Urban dictionary is the present day “dictionary” for the slangs used today.
Rape here means To Pwn, own, or annihilate, which is absolutely different to the real meaning of the word as we know it to be, which is just horrible.
thebritish wrote:
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

voigt1240 wrote:
007Salt wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I get that but nowadays it is impossible to not step on anyones toes. How far should we go in that regard? Films, music lyrics, lectures, general speech. But i will stop using certain words if it is offensive .
You can say whatever you want but I was thinking that you needed some context. You can just say something like "get rekt noob"
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

storms form and I can't fathom why
only where, when the night's pierced open
until it's shut.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

Sir Callen would make an excellent cult leader
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

Good ol Ivan wrote:I mean I still see people here pointing fingers at Diarouga for saying "the N word" literally 4 years ago, that's just insane.
just a bit of banter
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Hawk_Girl wrote:
Good ol Ivan wrote:I mean I still see people here pointing fingers at Diarouga for saying "the N word" literally 4 years ago, that's just insane.
just a bit of banter
At this point I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, I'm pretty sure you are but I will respond as if you were not.
It's the third time that I say that you can't excuse every shitty thing you do or say as banter. And I wouldn't even call it banter when it's literally shaming a person for one word he said 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure that the people who do it are very serious about it. I don't think that the people who say he is racist do it to joke about it.
And I have already stated that what I did wasn't very nice, but I do think people took it far more seriously than they should have.
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

Good ol Ivan wrote: It's the third time that I say that you can't excuse every shitty thing you do or say as banter.
haha we don't even see the irony, i love it