Next AoE2 Tourny $25K Weekend tourny

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Next AoE2 Tourny $25K Weekend tourny

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

so it looks like microsoft are sponsoring a weekend tournament to the tune of $25,000. For a single weekend event this feels insane, especially as players are free to stream so the revenue that top players streaming pov if they go far will be insane!

... meanwhile microsoft treat aoe3 as just the unloved brother aoe2 :/

https://www.aoezone.net/threads/the-ope ... nt.176806/
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Re: Next AoE2 Tourny $25K Weekend tourny

Post by look »

aoe3 > aoe2
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

It's to be expected when AoE2 gets viewership in the tens of thousands, while AoE3 gets hundreds.
Pakistan comradecommissar
Dragoon
ESO: ComradeCommissar

Post by comradecommissar »

I mean, Redbull is putting in this kind of marketing money on AOE2:

The best we got was @Aussie_Drongo scoring a fridge from them.

AOE 2 is in another league in terms of viewership and consequently money. Pity, because I'll always believe deep down that AOE3 has so much potential if you get the balance right and remove the random generation.

Then again, there are advantages to a small community. I like the fact that you can watch and chat in a few esoc streams and pretty much know most of the community.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

aoe2 is essentially a legitimate esport at this point, while aoe3 sucks.
India iron_turtle
Skirmisher
ESO: iron_turtle

Post by iron_turtle »

It definitely feels like they are sidelining aoe3 to make way for aoe4. Aoe2 is a big esport now. While aoe3 feels like a casual game.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

I mean, aoe3 was a more competitive esport on Legacy, and a better viewing experience for spectators (live games, excellent UI, more active top players). DE has become the harbinger of casualness. It's the era of streaming troll shit and sniping with funny smurf names for giggles. There was/is no changing that direction when all the way back in development Swe was being made.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

AOE2 is an excellent game in its own right and the fact that

1. an RTS is getting esport attention is great
2. an aoe game is so popular is great
3. an OLD game is gettin so much love

It is super positive. Dont get me wrong, AOE3 deserves limelight and popularity too. but I dont see aoe2 doing well as anything being taken away from aoe3
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

look wrote:aoe3 > aoe2
Attachments
hm.mp3
(38.98 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

I don't know either why aoe2 is so much more popular. Whenever I hear its music i feel nostalgic, because aoe2 was my first ever PC-Game. But when I play a few games, I get bored very fast because to me all civs feel the exact same. I don't understand why 30+ civs with a few different techs are so extremely similar. Also the game feels so slow (there's literally strategies for "fast castle" (ff in aoe3) that take 13 minutes).

Then you have all these inconveniences such as 1 unit per batch instead of 5.. only 1 settler per farm instead of 10. Like seriously. if you wanna put 20 settlers from wood to food you have to build 20 farms manually. This is ridiculous.

I just like aoe3 so much more, it's more versatile, faster, more interesting. god i hate how aoe2 is more popular lol.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

ChewSick wrote:I don't know either why aoe2 is so much more popular. Whenever I hear its music i feel nostalgic, because aoe2 was my first ever PC-Game. But when I play a few games, I get bored very fast because to me all civs feel the exact same. I don't understand why 30+ civs with a few different techs are so extremely similar. Also the game feels so slow (there's literally strategies for "fast castle" (ff in aoe3) that take 13 minutes).

Then you have all these inconveniences such as 1 unit per batch instead of 5.. only 1 settler per farm instead of 10. Like seriously. if you wanna put 20 settlers from wood to food you have to build 20 farms manually. This is ridiculous.

I just like aoe3 so much more, it's more versatile, faster, more interesting. god i hate how aoe2 is more popular lol.
People don't like to strain their brain. Aoe 2 is more about muscle memory. Whenever people are forced to continuously think they don't tend to stick to that thing. EP also intended to make game more streamlined, standard, linear. That is why fps games are so popular, strategic elements are very less to none. Just aim and shoot your way through. If you would look at most popular games, games which have repetition are the most popular ones.

Aoe 3 truly has lot of potential and a real hidden gem of RTS genre. Sadly ruined by both developers and community alike.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

princeofcarthage wrote: If you would look at most popular games, games which have repetition are the most popular ones.
Many people hate rogue-lik/tes though.

I personally in general agree that aoe3 makes many design choices that are more fun than aoe2, but overall i still think that aoe2 doing well isn't bad but good for rts lovers. But i get the envy, i feel it as well from time to time.

And yeah shooters can ofc be played without tactics, but saying they are mindless is somewhat unfair. I personally usually have the best success in shooters when i am positioning myself well.

edit: i am feeling slightly schizophrenic for liking both incog's and chewsick's posts, send help :pop:
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

ChewSick wrote:I don't know either why aoe2 is so much more popular. Whenever I hear its music i feel nostalgic, because aoe2 was my first ever PC-Game. But when I play a few games, I get bored very fast because to me all civs feel the exact same. I don't understand why 30+ civs with a few different techs are so extremely similar. Also the game feels so slow (there's literally strategies for "fast castle" (ff in aoe3) that take 13 minutes).

100 % agreed
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I think it's a lot of nostalgia for many people. It was also a very iconic game when it came out and inspired many many copies. The similarity of civs is a matter of taste. Also isn't the in-game time at like 1.7x speed?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

princeofcarthage wrote:

People don't like to strain their brain. Aoe 2 is more about muscle memory. Whenever people are forced to continuously think they don't tend to stick to that thing. EP also intended to make game more streamlined, standard, linear. That is why fps games are so popular, strategic elements are very less to none. Just aim and shoot your way through. If you would look at most popular games, games which have repetition are the most popular ones.

Aoe 3 truly has lot of potential and a real hidden gem of RTS genre. Sadly ruined by both developers and community alike.
The bar of "abnormally dumb take" in a thread about AoE2 on ESOC is quite high but once again you clear it with ease. Impressive
Retired Contributor

Goodspeed wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:

The bar of "abnormally dumb take" in a thread about AoE2 on ESOC is quite high but once again you clear it with ease. Impressive
Are you saying aoe 2 is more varied and pushes players to make more choices as compared to aoe 3?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Are you saying aoe 2 is more varied and pushes players to make more choices as compared to aoe 3?
No, he's just saying you're dumb. Unsurprisingly, this went over your head.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

harcha wrote:

I think it's a lot of nostalgia for many people. It was also a very iconic game when it came out and inspired many many copies. The similarity of civs is a matter of taste. Also isn't the in-game time at like 1.7x speed?
Nostalgia is a bigger factor in AoE3's continued existence than AoE2's. From another thread:
The nostalgia factor is part of the reason casual players come back to play a campaign every now and then. It's not why AoE2's competitive scene is thriving after more than 2 decades. It's just a really good game. Claiming its continued success is mainly due to the nostalgia factor is not beginning to appreciate how fun it is. Among its top are many young players; Hera was born in 1999, Liereyy in 2002, etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The question why AoE2 is more popular than AoE3 is an interesting one. There are many reasons, but personally I think the biggest one is that AoE2 does base-building better than AoE3, and AoE's general focus on base-building and economy is the reason people choose it over the more military-focused blizzard RTS games. Imo, AoE2 simply does a better job at tapping into that market.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Goodspeed wrote:
harcha wrote:

Nostalgia is a bigger factor in AoE3's continued existence than AoE2's. From another thread:
The nostalgia factor is part of the reason casual players come back to play a campaign every now and then. It's not why AoE2's competitive scene is thriving after more than 2 decades. It's just a really good game. Claiming its continued success is mainly due to the nostalgia factor is not beginning to appreciate how fun it is. Among its top are many young players; Hera was born in 1999, Liereyy in 2002, etc.
Valid point. I think the nostalgia still plays a big part inflating the numbers - many viewers watch because of nostalgia causing higher tourney prize pools and promoting a larger competitive scene.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

I'm a bit worried about Aoe4's competitive aspect. The goal of the game is to give every single civ VERY unique playstyles. This is completely different form aoe2. So it might be horrible for balancing. maybe @Goodspeed can talk about the balancing aspect
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's one of my main concerns as well tbh. See viewtopic.php?f=982&t=22744&start=50
Japan 0nni
Crossbow

Post by 0nni »

Probably 3 reasons why AoE2 has more playerbase:
1. As already mentioned by everyone nostalgia and not only for those who used to play AoE2 but even those didn't play it back then. Something about the 2D graphics and artstyle RTS game is just really nostalgia I guess.
2. Easier for casual players to get into due to basebuilding, symmetric and slower start. As well as a lot of campaigns.
3. Different than Starcraft 2. Probably why a lot of people don't get into AoE3 and AOM is probably because a asymmetric, fast-paced 3DS RTS game already exists. There are even few Starcraft 2 players who every now and then play AoE2.
Retired Contributor

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
No, he's just saying you're dumb. Unsurprisingly, this went over your head.
Bram... if you understood that, there is no chance at any given point in time, at any given place in this universe or any other, in all of existence and beyond that I did not understood that...
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

harcha wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Valid point. I think the nostalgia still plays a big part inflating the numbers - many viewers watch because of nostalgia causing higher tourney prize pools and promoting a larger competitive scene.
Even if true (I have my doubts; AoE2 is simply a highly entertaining game to watch), why would this be the case for AoE2 and not 3?