ESOC history quiz

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: ESOC history quiz

Post by Challenger_Marco »

You missed:
- Dolan in the mod question (1p)
I thought 3 names for 3 points ? So i thought only 3 names was right out of these but come on lol how is this point distribution is fair?? each name carries (0.75 p) which means i should get 17.25.But if it was 4 i would have def ruled out gibson & jerom
I think you're forgetting the liebe question was for 2 points.
Nah ik i ans'd this wrong and accounted 2 points for loss
:nwc:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

- I knew a lot more details about how ESOC was founded but I forgot to add the year too. I obviously knew it because I joined the board one or two months after.
- Had no idea Jerom and PoC were mods, it probably happened when I left the forum for some time
- I wasn't even aware there was an Amsterdam meetup lul. The Chicago one felt too much like an NA thing, but whateva
- After I completed the quiz, I remembered more clearly what was the weeb name that Incog had, something with kami and some pink animal as pfp

I'm still firmly plugged in the center of the leaderboard 👌
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 07:58
Wait princeofcarthage moderated the forums? I don't remember this.
LordRaphael and diarouga

36/44 got this right
Embarrassingly got this wrong, despite being there in person :hmm:
Unofficially yes. I have many times saved @edeholland family members from violent forum abuse, deleted spam posts/threads, and maybe, maybe once or twice deleted some rule breaking post.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 08:45
You missed:
I thought 3 names for 3 points ? So i thought only 3 names was right out of these but come on lol how is this point distribution is fair?? each name carries (0.75 p) which means i should get 17.25.But if it was 4 i would have def ruled out gibson & jerom
3p doesn't necessarily mean 3 names. That would be a dead giveaway about how many correct answers there are. You chose to make that assumption
Retired Contributor

Goodspeed wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 09:49
Challenger_Marco wrote:
You missed:
3p doesn't necessarily mean 3 names. That would be a dead giveaway about how many correct answers there are. Making this incorrect assumption is on you.
How did you find out..? If you didn't know in first place why was my name even up there..?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

From n0el and ede. Your name was up there specifically to test for detailed memory. It's something I myself was unsure of, so I figured others would be too.
I tried to keep a balance of easy options and hard ones, to differ between 3 categories of people: People who don't know anything, people who remember some of it, and people with detailed memory (who should get the most points).
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

The moderating question put me off. Carthage was both a dev and media team member but never a mod. On the other hand, Kaiserklein was a mod in tournament forums for quite some time. I definitely got the liebe wrong, couldn’t be bothered to look up anything but I know there’s a thread with the story somewhere. Fun quiz!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I am proud that four people view me as a dictator in the past. Thank you for your confidence.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:
You missed:
3p doesn't necessarily mean 3 names. That would be a dead giveaway about how many correct answers there are. You chose to make that assumption
Ironically this is how it works in the Dutch education system. When I worked at a tutoring agency for pupils that were taking the high school exams we would teach them that the amount of points is related to the build-up of the answer. Four points means four steps to reach the answer. I think I also answered three people.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The question did make it clear it was about who moderated the forums at some point, whether or not he/she was a designated mod.
When I was in the ESOC board, I remember people avoided moderating like the plague, because they'd have to deal with the basement crew's spam 😄.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 10:14
The moderating question put me off. Carthage was both a dev and media team member but never a mod. On the other hand, Kaiserklein was a mod in tournament forums for quite some time. I definitely got the liebe wrong, couldn’t be bothered to look up anything but I know there’s a thread with the story somewhere. Fun quiz!
Fair point about Kaiser, I didn't know that. But I would still say having mod powers in a specific part of the forum doesn't constitute "moderating ESOC"
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah tourney stuff was always a separate business that had separate staff, admins, etc
I mean tourneys were not about ESOC forum content, they were competitions that could have taken place with or without a forum.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 10:18
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Ironically this is how it works in the Dutch education system. When I worked at a tutoring agency for pupils that were taking the high school exams we would teach them that the amount of points is related to the build-up of the answer. Four points means four steps to reach the answer. I think I also answered three people.
"Amount of steps to reach the answer in an open question" is very different from "amount of correct answers in a multiple-choice question." A fundamental aspect of multiple choice questions where multiple selections are possible is that the amount of correct answers is unknown.
If I wanted everyone to know how many names to select, I would've said "Which 4 of the following ..."
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I think i would get below 10.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 10:14
Yeah I wasn't sure what "mod" meant. I don't consider I've ever been a mod, but I guess I technically was. And princeofcarthage being a media team member kinda counts as a mod in my eyes, but it technically doesn't. Can we have the correct answer on this one? @Goodspeed
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Answers are in the OP
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

I've been thought & raised to write & give answers proportional to the amount of marks/points idk how it is in outside world.

I would have never imagined i have lost a point bc of this in this quiz but also the problem can be easily solved by giving 4 points?? (ik argurment for this will be giving away the ans(but i doubt if this changes anything in ppl's response) but it's really unorthodox but you seem to be very strict and not lenient lol)

The question is clearly vague if this would have appeared in my exams i would have scored full because of the ambiguity set by the questioner(everyone would be asking doubt left & right about this) but i assume generally everyone follows the same system of writing/selecting points w.r.t points awarded.

But at end i'm not gonna ask much as this was a fun quiz
Retired Contributor

Challenger_Marco wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 11:53
I've been thought & raised to write & give answers proportional to the amount of marks/points idk how it is in outside world.

I would have never imagined i have lost a point bc of this in this quiz but also the problem can be easily solved by giving 4 points?? (ik argurment for this will be giving away the ans(but i doubt if this changes anything in ppl's response) but it's really unorthodox but you seem to be very strict and not lenient lol)

The question is clearly vague if this would have appeared in my exams i would have scored full because of the ambiguity set by the questioner(everyone would be asking doubt left & right about this) but i assume generally everyone follows the same system of writing/selecting points w.r.t points awarded.

seems like you are really salty about it
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 11:53

4 points for just that one question felt like too much. Imo it would have a disproportional effect on people's scores.

Idk nor care about the 2022 exam meta. If you choose to make assumptions about the questioner's intent beyond what is implied in the question itself, it's on you if it backfires.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

I'm disagreeing the value you gave for question's intent. I thought any 3 of the 4 answers would give you full score but it's not my fault that i assumed and answered.

I could also frame a question for 1 p which has 6 options but 5 right answers and my intent is to give full credit who got it all but everyone gave 4 answers so should i throw this on the reader's fault that he/she made this assumption? or was it my fault the options & values don't match which has lead to this scenario?
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

@Challenger_Marco cope

The highlights are basement’s responses to the liebe question. POTY (post of the year).
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Retired Contributor

Challenger_Marco wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 13:24
I'm disagreeing the value you gave for question's intent. I thought any 3 of the 4 answers would give you full score but it's not my fault that i assumed and answered.

I could also frame a question for 1 p which has 6 options but 5 right answers and my intent is to give full credit who got it all but everyone gave 4 answers so should i throw this on the reader's fault that he/she made this assumption? or was it my fault the options & values don't match which has lead to this scenario?
Why would you assume anything beyond the scope of what is given and if you do it is your fault. The question gave you certain number of options and certain number of points if answered correctly. Nowhere it is mentioned how many points each option carries, how many options are correct and the distribution of pattern of the points for each option. The amount of correct options and the points, to match is not a necessity. So yes, if you assume anything other than that is given it is yours and yours fault alone.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Challenger_Marco It may be generally worthwhile to assume intent based on the point value of a question in 2022 exam meta, but that doesn't make it the responsibility of the questioner to make sure that assumption is correct. Especially if it's just some random quiz on the internet. Considering the question did not say anywhere that there were 3 correct answers, your assuming as much is your responsibility.
I thought any 3 of the 4 answers would give you full score but it's not my fault that i assumed and answered.
This would penalize people who know the actual answer and selected all 4 correct options. They would have the same score as people who only selected 3, which would be unfair.

If you actually knew the answer, you would have selected all 4.
I don't understand this scenario. What basis would people have for assuming there's 4 correct answers? It's obviously their fault if they do.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

For Queen/Kaiser, it's not that I forgot, it's that I couldn't remember which story began before the other.

Otherwise, I missed the Garja messiah question, the Crypto/Snuden question and the apology thread. off the top of my head. I didn't realize there were several answers possible for the moderators question.

Very fun thread.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Goodspeed wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 13:15
Which one of these members has NOT posted an apology thread as of June 14 2022? (1p)

SomppuKunkku
Hazza54321
SirCallen
fightinfrenchman
gibson
I’ve never done anything wrong ever
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead