Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by Jam »

lejend wrote: ↑
06 Apr 2022, 00:14
Jam wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2022, 01:05
@lejend My grandmother used to pray in front of a mirror by candlelight with incense and a rosary, she said she did it without the rosary once and something bad happened so she never did it again.
Well, I can tell you that incense, rosaries, icons, relics, "holy water" and similar objects have no special power and there's no reason to think God is more pleased if he's invoked before such objects than otherwise. As Philip Melanchthon explains quite well:
Images of Christ and of the saints, that is, representations of their story by means of paintings and the like in churches and elsewhere, have, as Gregory says, been the books of the illiterate, that is, they explain the story like a written book. In itself this is a matter of indifference concerning which Christians should not quarrel.

Since, then, such representation provides for the illiterate the advantage of seeing and learning the stories as if from books, we do not reject pictures in themselves, nor do we abolish them; we do, however, reprove their misuse.

For we teach that images are not to be worshipped; nor is it to be thought that they have power; nor should people think that setting up images of God or of the saints is serving God, or that God is more gracious or does more than otherwise if He is invoked before such an image.

For God wants men to grasp Him only in faith through His Word and His sacraments; therefore it is a godless error to bind God to certain images without God’s Word. It is also a wicked error to think that a deed performed in front of such an image pleases God more than if done elsewhere; for we should believe that God in all places hears those who earnestly call upon Him. Hence Isaiah [66:1] reproves those who do not believe that God everywhere hears those who call upon Him in true spiritual worship, for he says that, even though the heaven is the Lord’s throne, yet God dwells “in him that is poor and of a contrite spirit”. Christ says [John 4:21, 23]: “Ye shall neither in this mountain nor yet at Jerusalem worship the Father
but
in spirit and in truth,” and Paul says [1 Tim. 2:8]: “I will that men pray everywhere”.

-Wittenberg Articles: Article XVII. Images
She wasn't praying to God or a christian though, she was praying in general to communicate with entities of some sort.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

07 Apr 2022, 01:56
06 Apr 2022, 00:14
04 Apr 2022, 01:05
@lejend My grandmother used to pray in front of a mirror by candlelight with incense and a rosary, she said she did it without the rosary once and something bad happened so she never did it again.
Well, I can tell you that incense, rosaries, icons, relics, "holy water" and similar objects have no special power and there's no reason to think God is more pleased if he's invoked before such objects than otherwise. As Philip Melanchthon explains quite well:
Images of Christ and of the saints, that is, representations of their story by means of paintings and the like in churches and elsewhere, have, as Gregory says, been the books of the illiterate, that is, they explain the story like a written book. In itself this is a matter of indifference concerning which Christians should not quarrel.

Since, then, such representation provides for the illiterate the advantage of seeing and learning the stories as if from books, we do not reject pictures in themselves, nor do we abolish them; we do, however, reprove their misuse.

For we teach that images are not to be worshipped; nor is it to be thought that they have power; nor should people think that setting up images of God or of the saints is serving God, or that God is more gracious or does more than otherwise if He is invoked before such an image.

For God wants men to grasp Him only in faith through His Word and His sacraments; therefore it is a godless error to bind God to certain images without God’s Word. It is also a wicked error to think that a deed performed in front of such an image pleases God more than if done elsewhere; for we should believe that God in all places hears those who earnestly call upon Him. Hence Isaiah [66:1] reproves those who do not believe that God everywhere hears those who call upon Him in true spiritual worship, for he says that, even though the heaven is the Lord’s throne, yet God dwells “in him that is poor and of a contrite spirit”. Christ says [John 4:21, 23]: “Ye shall neither in this mountain nor yet at Jerusalem worship the Father
but
in spirit and in truth,” and Paul says [1 Tim. 2:8]: “I will that men pray everywhere”.

-Wittenberg Articles: Article XVII. Images
She wasn't praying to God or a christian though, she was praying in general to communicate with entities of some sort.
Did it work?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

chris1089 wrote: ↑
06 Apr 2022, 10:07
@legend , good to see some Melangthon getting pulled out. Not really read any of his work, but one of my friends did his research project on some of his writings.
Yeah, I'm not really into Lutheranism but Melanchthon perfectly articulates my view on the whole system of relics, icons, etc.
fightinfrenchman wrote: ↑
06 Apr 2022, 11:12
There's plenty of reasons to think that
No Biblical reasons, though.
07 Apr 2022, 01:56
It's generally a bad idea to pray to anyone besides God.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

24 Apr 2022, 03:25

That's a totally different thing you're saying then
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It's generally a bad idea to pray to anyone besides God.

What's wrong with McDonald's
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

25 Apr 2022, 05:28

The Bible is the highest authority on matters of faith and doctrine, so if it rules one way or another on any given issue, that settles the debate.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

28 Apr 2022, 00:47
25 Apr 2022, 05:28
Show hidden quotes
The Bible is the highest authority on matters of faith and doctrine, so if it rules one way or another on any given issue, that settles the debate.
I actually know about a higher authority
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

28 Apr 2022, 00:51
28 Apr 2022, 00:47
Show hidden quotes
I actually know about a higher authority
We don't need to bring Dolan into this discussion
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Sermon: Dead to Sin, Romans 6 (emphasis in original)
Neil Shenvi wrote:Some people are offended by the message of the gospel, for various reasons. They hear the message that we can be received by God freely, apart from works, on the basis of grace alone through faith alone, and they say “Hmph, sounds like a pretty easy religion. A religion for weak people. A religion for people who can’t get it together. A religion for losers. A religion for sinners.” Friends, that’s exactly right. Christianity is a religion for losers, and sinners, and rebels, for the poor and needy, for the sick and wretched. Christianity is not a religion for righteous people but for unrighteous people. Jesus himself said that he’d come to call not the righteous, but sinners. So if you think of yourself as a righteous person, Christianity is not for you. But hear this: you are not righteous and you need Jesus just as much as the losers you despise.

Others are offended because they think the gospel will inspire us to sin. They say “look, you can’t teach people that they’re freely forgiven. You have to make them work. Make them do a little penance. Tell them that God will only love them if they are very obedient. How will you get people to behave if they think they’re loved unconditionally?”

I’d offer two responses.

First, that’s not the way reality works. If Scripture says that salvation is a free gift from beginning to end, then it is. It doesn’t matter whether you like it. It doesn’t matter whether you think it will be good for society. It doesn’t matter whether you think there are better ways to get people to behave. What’s true is true. God’s Word says that man is justified by grace through faith apart from works.

Second, that’s not even how real life works. Do you really think that lasting behavioral change only comes about through threatening and not through unconditional love? Think about times you’ve been deeply changed or transformed in a relationship. Was it because someone threatened you? Or was it because, even when they challenged you and admonished you, you knew that they loved you and were 100% completely committed to you? That’s how real, lasting transformation happens.

Third, some people are genuinely confused. They assume that Christianity is just like every other religion. They think Christianity teaches that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. Then they read the Bible and they realize that Christianity teaches something entirely different. It teaches that there are no good people and that if anyone is going to be saved, it has to be entirely on the basis of God’s grace, his unmerited favor, his unearned kindness towards wicked, corrupt rebels. So if you’re genuinely asking –in wonder and astonishment– “What? Is God’s grace really that great? Will God’s mercy really cover every sin? Is salvation truly, 100% free?” then you are finally starting to get it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

13 May 2022, 20:23
First, that’s not the way reality works. If Scripture says that salvation is a free gift from beginning to end, then it is. It doesn’t matter whether you like it. It doesn’t matter whether you think it will be good for society. It doesn’t matter whether you think there are better ways to get people to behave. What’s true is true. God’s Word says that man is justified by grace through faith apart from works.
Really compelling argument here
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

So I was watching this video on Facebook when suddenly I got this message. Weird

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

someone should tell him triple parenths is an antisemetic hallmark

good lutheran pastor
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

American Christians đŸ€ Aryan Brotherhood
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

harcha wrote: ↑
25 Jul 2022, 08:30
If only American Christianity were as racially diverse as Latvia
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

callentournies wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 15:57
someone should tell him triple parenths is an antisemetic hallmark

good lutheran pastor
They're called "solidarity parentheses"

https://www.vox.com/2016/6/6/11860796/e ... es-twitter
These renamings are themselves a response to an exciting new trend on the alt-right, a mostly online movement of mostly white nationalists who've gained new prominence largely thanks to Donald Trump's campaign. They've taken to identifying Jewish individuals and what they see as Jewish-controlled institutions by surrounding their names with parentheses — a typographical convention known as an echo.

Some of the people who've changed their Twitter names to incorporate the echo are Jewish, making a gesture of pride and reclamation. Others, however, are not Jewish but are simply doing it as a gesture of solidarity. The idea is that the act of singling out Jews for discrimination with a particular marker is thwarted if non-Jews choose to wear it voluntarily.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

semiotics imo (I’m just aware of its existence. existence is enough of template to think the following thoughts)

the only thing that matters is how it's meant. also, nothing matters how it's meant, because it's the internet and the Online Era. things are what they appear to be; truth values are divorced of logic and caught up in appearance: a function of Spectacle.

article is from 2016 -- i don't think the movement was super successful but I'm not on twitter
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

:devilrazz: :devilrazz: :devilrazz:
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

25 Jul 2022, 18:44
That is very †捐 of you
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

26 Jul 2022, 07:07
25 Jul 2022, 18:44
That is very †捐 of you
Goofy comment, especially coming from someone whose country's racial demographics are every neo-Nazi's wet dream.

33% of American Christians are non-white, including over 50% of Christians under the age of 30. Meanwhile in Latvia:

Bonus

http://espritdecorps.ca/perspectives-1/ ... e-minister

HITLER'S FOOT SOLDIERS: Latvia's Nazis are the pride of the country, says defence minister
Each March, despite condemnation from countries around the world including Canada, a parade is held in Riga to honour the members of the Latvian SS divisions which fought for the Nazis in the Second World War. Some in the parade this year – one of the largest in recent times – wore swastikas and other Nazi insignias.

But it was in September when the Latvian government further solidified its official support for Hitler’s loyal foot soldiers. “Latvian legionnaires are the pride of the Latvian people and of the state,” said the country’s Minister of Defence Artis Pabriks. “We will honor the memory of the fallen legionnaires, and we will not allow anyone to discredit their memory.”

“It is our duty to honour these Latvian patriots from the depths of our soul,” he added.

Pabriks’ comments drew immediate condemnation from Jewish groups.