US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by spanky4ever »

Goodspeed wrote:
14 May 2022, 06:23
@spanky4ever Where did you get that 90% figure? From what I've read it's about two thirds.
Not sure tbh, it was something I heard from a TYT video, I think :? But 2/3 is also a big majority
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

TYT is extremely biased, probably not good to base your takes on their content.
2/3 is nowhere near 90%
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

i assume u'll get 90% support if u ask whether ppl support a right to abortion in the most extreme scenario eg. life of the woman is in danger.
if u ask ppl whether abortion generally should be legal beyond 1st trimester you prob have a majority in support of restrictive to generally banning it in the 3rd trimester.

if someone honestly believes that most ppl r comfortable with abortions in 3rd trimester just log off twitter and go outside^^
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I am not sure, but I do think most ppl will have objections on abortions after 12 week. Including myself. There are maybe a number of reasons to go beyond that date, but it should not be a free ticket to delay.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I guess that is a problem in usa, there are no limit, and its not regulated.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

I have a simple question. If it is proven in time that life begins at conception (although many studies already suggest it does, but say in time beyond doubt) would people who are pro-abortion at the moment till some x week be against it? Or that it is proven that life begins ~at week x would people who are pro-life change their views to abortion after x weeks?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

princeofcarthage wrote:
19 May 2022, 18:57
I have a simple question. If it is proven in time that life begins at conception (although many studies already suggest it does, but say in time beyond doubt) would people who are pro-abortion at the moment till some x week be against it? Or that it is proven that life begins ~at week x would people who are pro-life change their views to abortion after x weeks?
what is life?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

knusch wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:00
princeofcarthage wrote:
what is life?
Trees, weeds, anoeba, anything you can think off, exept maybe rocks.
Retired Contributor

knusch wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
what is life?
Really? This is the path you choose?

Whenever anyone does study and publishes the inferences they obviously define what a particular term means. As such I don't have to define it. So for ex. If you search on google when does life begin, then there is a study from Stanford or Harvard I think which explains. They obviously define what they think of life.

The whole question was phrased in such a manner where technicality wasn't needed and yet you invoke one!
Retired Contributor

iwillspankyou wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:43
knusch wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
what is life?
Trees, weeds, anoeba, anything you can think off, exept maybe rocks.
Why hate rocks?
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

princeofcarthage wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:21
knusch wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
what is life?

Whenever anyone does study and publishes the inferences they obviously define what a particular term means. As such I don't have to define it. So for ex. If you search on google when does life begin, then there is a study from Stanford or Harvard I think which explains. They obviously define what they think of life.

The whole question was phrased in such a manner where technicality wasn't needed and yet you invoke one!
just link me the study if u wanna refer to it

to make it short. the definition of life is rly the only relevant question. one that no study gonna give you an answer for and if one disagrees with any study's definition of it the study becomes bascially irrelevant.
Retired Contributor

knusch wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:38
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes

to make it short. the definition of life is rly the only relevant question. one that no study gonna give you an answer for and if one disagrees with any study's definition of it the study becomes bascially irrelevant.
Let's simplify this, considering a simple question is to hard for you to understand. Most discussions (at least on forums) have been revolving around consciousness. What if science at some point in future could definitively prove that fetus develops conciousness at time x of pregnancy. Would pro life or pro abortion people change their opinions respectively?
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

princeofcarthage wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:47
knusch wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Let's simplify this, considering a simple question is to hard for you to understand. Most discussions (at least on forums) have been revolving around consciousness. What if science at some point in future could definitively prove that fetus develops conciousness at time x of pregnancy. Would pro life or pro abortion people change their opinions respectively?
if u take a reasonable definition of consciousness no pro lifer that holds a believe like "life starts at conception" will be fine with abortions even if were able to prove that consciousness begins with lets say 18 weeks.
same is true vice versa
Retired Contributor

knusch wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:30
princeofcarthage wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:47
Show hidden quotes

if u take a reasonable definition of consciousness no pro lifer that holds a believe like "life starts at conception" will be fine with abortions even if were able to prove that consciousness begins with lets say 18 weeks.
same is true vice versa
From what I understood after reading your response is that in general most won't change their opinion, is that correct?
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

princeofcarthage wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:44
knusch wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:30
Show hidden quotes
same is true vice versa
From what I understood after reading your response is that in general most won't change their opinion, is that correct?
yes, do u think if someone believes that life starts at conception because of some religious reason or otherwise gonna change their mind if you'd be able to show them that "actually only 18 weeks into pregnancy a fetus enters into a stage of development where it has a consciousness experience"?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
19 May 2022, 01:09
lejend wrote:
18 May 2022, 16:40
fightinfrenchman wrote:
18 May 2022, 01:34
Isn't that the guy who pulled a gun on a black jogger a few years ago? :|
No you're thinking of someone else
It could hurt him with black voters. If black turnout is weak, that might be enough for Republicans to squeak out a win

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Dolan wrote:
19 May 2022, 04:26
Apparently incinerating organic waste from hospitals is a common practice and is used as a source of energy.
That includes could-have-been-babies.

https://www.livescience.com/45139-aborted-fetuses-burned-incinerated-medical-waste.html
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

knusch wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It's already a fact that a human's life begins at fertilization. That's not something that's in dispute among biologists.

See: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3211703
Academic biologists were recruited to participate in a study on their descriptive view of when life begins. A sample of 5,502 biologists from 1,058 academic institutions assessed statements representing the biological view ‘a human’s life begins at fertilization’. This view was used because previous polls and surveys suggest many Americans and medical experts hold this view. Each of the three statements representing that view was affirmed by a consensus of biologists (75-91%). The participants were separated into 60 groups and each statement was affirmed by a consensus of each group, including biologists that identified as very pro-choice (69-90%), very pro-life (92-97%), very liberal (70-91%), very conservative (94-96%), strong Democrats (74-91%), and strong Republicans (89-94%). Overall, 95% of all biologists affirmed the biological view that a human's life begins at fertilization (5212 out of 5502).
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:30

It could hurt him with black voters. If black turnout is weak, that might be enough for Republicans to squeak out a win
We don't even know who he is running against yet lol
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:43

It's already a fact that a human's life begins at fertilization. That's not something that's in dispute among biologists.
That's simply not true
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

lejend wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:43
knusch wrote:
Show hidden quotes

See: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3211703
Academic biologists were recruited to participate in a study on their descriptive view of when life begins. A sample of 5,502 biologists from 1,058 academic institutions assessed statements representing the biological view ‘a human’s life begins at fertilization’. This view was used because previous polls and surveys suggest many Americans and medical experts hold this view. Each of the three statements representing that view was affirmed by a consensus of biologists (75-91%). The participants were separated into 60 groups and each statement was affirmed by a consensus of each group, including biologists that identified as very pro-choice (69-90%), very pro-life (92-97%), very liberal (70-91%), very conservative (94-96%), strong Democrats (74-91%), and strong Republicans (89-94%). Overall, 95% of all biologists affirmed the biological view that a human's life begins at fertilization (5212 out of 5502).
nice draft paper
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

a visionary genius, truely
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Damn, how come nobody thought of this brilliant idea 🌀
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It's insanely depressing to me that billionaires choose to spend their time on Twitter when they could be doing literally anything else
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
20 May 2022, 20:58
It's insanely depressing to me that billionaires choose to spend their time on Twitter when they could be doing literally anything else
the realization that even if u had a 10 figure windfall u'd still be posting on esoc