Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Complete and total prevention of mass shootings should not be the goal of legislation. Ultimately, any legislation can be circumvented if one truly desires to do so. But it clearly turns out that making it harder to do something bad will reduce the amount of people that end up doing something bad.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Abolish the police tbh
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Not sure the specific context of your comment but it seems that the police literally sat there for an hour and a half without intervening at all. Federal Border Patrol agents showed up and, after being told NOT to intervene by the police, ended up just going inside and engaging the shooter.

The more things come to light regarding the actions of the police, the more reprehensible they turn out to be. There needs to be a massive, federal police reform, or something similar.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Cometk wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 11:00
Impressive.

This excerpt is amazing as well: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTztePoUcAA ... name=small

The police in the United States are more than willing to shoot sleeping people in their own apartment but won't respond to the call of their duty to protect children from being executed.

That, in tandem with mental illness that is firearm obsession in the USA, shows just how sick this country is.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

iNcog wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 15:33
Cometk wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 11:00
Impressive.

This excerpt is amazing as well: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTztePoUcAA ... name=small

The police in the United States are more than willing to shoot sleeping people in their own apartment but won't respond to the call of their duty to protect children from being executed.

That, in tandem with mental illness that is firearm obsession in the USA, shows just how sick this country is.
One might say, shooting people in sleep is lot more easier than confronting active shooter. I don't care what the manual says, you get life once (at least in a way you are aware of), if you are scared and think you might lose it, or seriously injure yourself then I don't blame that person for not taking action regardless of who he is. Yes, the profession he chose might not be the best.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

You know what's funny. People expecting the police to just risk their lives and just go in. And if they don't hurr they are cowards. Why don't you PERSONALLY join the police and put your life on the line, so that the next time there's a mass protest in the USA calling for 'abolishing the police' you can feel a lot of motivation to risk your life for people who also called for you to be defunded.

It's easy to jabber jabber and demand other people to put their lives on the line. But would you do it? Then do it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dolan wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 17:29
You know what's funny. People expecting the police to just risk their lives and just go in. And if they don't hurr they are cowards. Why don't you PERSONALLY join the police and put your life on the line, so that the next time there's a mass protest in the USA calling for 'abolishing the police' you can feel a lot of motivation to risk your life for people who will call for you to be abolished.
It's easy to jabber jabber and demand other people to put their lives on the line. But would you do it? Then do it.
If I joined the police I wouldn't have to put my life on the line since it's not part of the job apparently lol
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 17:31
You know what's funny. People expecting the police to just risk their lives and just go in. And if they don't hurr they are cowards. Why don't you PERSONALLY join the police and put your life on the line, so that the next time there's a mass protest in the USA calling for 'abolishing the police' you can feel a lot of motivation to risk your life for people who will call for you to be abolished.
If I joined the police I wouldn't have to put my life on the line since it's not part of the job apparently lol
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

28 May 2022, 17:32
28 May 2022, 17:31
Where is that from
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

After the BLM protests and the Floyd incident, apparently morale has plummeted among police ranks. Many have left, others have retired, yet others left during the Covid crisis, others just part of the "great resignation".
And US local authorities are struggling to replace the ones who left.

Who's gonna feed this guy's 3 kids if you expect him to go in a shooting situation and just risk his life. Once he's dead, his wife will have to raise 3 kids on one salary. Why would you do such a job? Also when lots of people hate your guts for being a police officer.
It's easy to talk.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

>Hurr somebody just solve this. Somebody just put their life on the line for a few thousand bucks and leave their own kids orphans. What are you, a coward, why don't you want to do it

-
28 May 2022, 17:39
Where is that from
No idea, it was posted above from some source, it looks like a job listing
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

28 May 2022, 17:49
>Hurr somebody just solve this. Somebody just put their life on the line for a few thousand bucks and leave their own kids orphans. What are you, a coward, why don't you want to do it

-
Where is that from
Why did you post it if you don't know what it is?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

28 May 2022, 17:56
28 May 2022, 17:49

-
Where is that from
I assumed the poster has a reliable source, otherwise why post it
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Show hidden quotes
A reliable source on what? You don't even know where it's from or what it's saying, or how it relates to the point you're trying to make
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Finally something Dolan and I agree on. I do however concede that it is not simply easy. Part of being a police officer or military is that you have to risk your life. That is literally part of the job description. So when the bells go and if you run it is like you betrayed the job you were hired to do. It is like you enjoyed the benefits of military for years and when time came to fight you resigned or deserted. When you enroll you make an active, informed decision. But yes, I wouldn't blame anyone for running and saving their own life.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 17:58
It is like you enjoyed the benefits of military for years and when time came to fight you resigned or deserted
It's a lot like that except in the military you get punished for doing that
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

28 May 2022, 17:57
Show hidden quotes
A reliable source on what? You don't even know where it's from or what it's saying, or how it relates to the point you're trying to make
It's part of a training manual for cops in that city. That's what they're instructed to do, to place themselves in harm's way and display uncommon acts of courage to save innocents.

And the argument I made is that the police are having problems recruiting new officers and many have already left including for this reason that many don't want to risk getting killed on the job and leaving their family unsupported.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

28 May 2022, 18:04
It's part of a training manual for cops in that city. That's what they're instructed to do, to place themselves in harm's way and display uncommon acts of courage to save innocents.

And the argument I made is that the police are having problems recruiting new officers and many have already left including for this reason that many don't want to risk getting killed on the job and leaving their family unsupported.
Okay, and they didn't do that. What's the point of giving them all this training and equipment to make them feel badass if they aren't going to come through when necessary?

Also cops being afraid to do their jobs is a good reason to support gun control. But police generally don't do that because they're Republicans
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote: ↑
28 May 2022, 17:58
Finally something Dolan and I agree on. I do however concede that it is not simply easy. Part of being a police officer or military is that you have to risk your life. That is literally part of the job description. So when the bells go and if you run it is like you betrayed the job you were hired to do. It is like you enjoyed the benefits of military for years and when time came to fight you resigned or deserted. When you enroll you make an active, informed decision. But yes, I wouldn't blame anyone for running and saving their own life.
It's not like the military, the police risk their lives daily, not once a century when there's a war.
So they can be returned to their family in a coffin on a daily basis. All that for a bit over 4000 bucks on average.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

28 May 2022, 18:10
It's not like the military, the police risk their lives daily, not once a century when there's a war.
So they can be returned to their family in a coffin on a daily basis. All that for a bit over 4000 bucks on average.
How likely do a think a police officer is to die on duty compared to people in other professions, and how much do you think they make
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

28 May 2022, 18:07
28 May 2022, 18:04

Okay, and they didn't do that. What's the point of giving them all this training and equipment to make them feel badass if they aren't going to come through when necessary?

Also cops being afraid to do their jobs is a good reason to support gun control. But police generally don't do that because they're Republicans
No point whatsoever, just abolish the police and create a new one, for which you hire only Democrats. I think everyone would be ok with that tbh. Like who would even care how they vote, if they do the job.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

28 May 2022, 18:13
28 May 2022, 18:10
How likely do a think a police officer is to die on duty compared to people in other professions, and how much do you think they make
Well, if the likelihood is low then maybe most of them act just as "cowardly" as the ones from this Uvalde city. That's what's keeping the odds low, the fact that they don't want to risk their lives.
They make about 55k/yr or $4583/mo on average.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@Dolan How much money would they need to make to be willing to risk their lives to protect and serve other people
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The median pay for a personal bodyguard apparently is $65,000. This is for just protecting one single person and being ready to take the bullet for one single person.
But when you're responsible for the lives of tens and ready to take the bullet for them, how much should you be paid?

Maybe the police officers required to intervene in shootings should have a different level of payment than regular ones that attend to less dangerous cases. Or a different range of benefits, considering they have families too.
And they might be taking the bullet to save a kid in a school, while leaving 3 kids of their own without a parent.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

28 May 2022, 18:49
The median pay for a personal bodyguard apparently is $65,000. This is for just protecting one single person and being ready to take the bullet for one single person.
But when you're responsible for the lives of tens and ready to take the bullet for them, how much should you be paid?

Maybe the police officers required to intervene in shootings should have a different level of payment than regular ones that attend to less dangerous cases. Or a different range of benefits, considering they have families too.
And they might be taking the bullet to save a kid in a school, while leaving 3 kids of his own without a parent.
I mean, you only posted the average salary of a cop in the US, obviously they're not all the same. What amount of money do you think a cop needs to get paid before people are allowed to criticize them