US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Goodspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:28
Left-wing economic policy was simply not popular enough to be viable to campaign on, until the 2010s.
What are some left wing economic policies that you think are popular among
1.) the general public in the US
2.) the subset of swing voters you're describing (which already is different than it was in 2016, but that's beside the point)
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Cometk You have to remember in the 70s you'd just had 40 years of left-wing politics and the economy was fucked so people were looking for something else. It pretty much took 30 years for a politically relevant number of people to warm up to left-wing economic policy again.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:27
Goodspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:17
Democrats basically had no choice but to be economically right-wing in the neolib era.
What
Yeah this is a funny thing about referring the 1980s political order. Republicans were doing really well, they won the White House 3 times in a row. Acting like this was obviously a politically unpopular thing isn't accurate
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:30
@Cometk You have to remember in the 70s you'd just had 40 years of left-wing politics and the economy was fucked so people were looking for something else. It pretty much took 30 years for a politically relevant number of people to warm up to left-wing economic policy again.
What the fuck was the cold war about
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:29
Goodspeed wrote:
Left-wing economic policy was simply not popular enough to be viable to campaign on, until the 2010s.
2.) the subset of swing voters you're describing (which already is different than it was in 2016, but that's beside the point)
I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if it's really popular enough yet to win an election off of. But as I said, the number of people calling for left-wing stuff, while not a majority, is starting to become politically relevant.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:31
Goodspeed wrote:
It doesn't matter what actually caused the economy to be fucked. The reality is, by that time people were looking for something else and Reagan found the (political) answer. His answer turned into a political movement so successful, democrats had no choice but to fall in line. Unless you're arguing they should've lost every election for 30 years on purpose, in which case I disagree but you do have a little bit of a point because one of the reasons democrats are in trouble now is that they fell in line so readily
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:33
fightinfrenchman wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:29
Goodspeed wrote:
I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if it's really popular enough yet to win an election off of. But as I said, the number of people calling for things like higher taxes on the rich, all kinds of regulation, expanded social security, a single payer health care system etc,while not a majority, is starting to become politically relevant.
How do you feel about the Affordable Care Act? Do you think it was a good thing for Democrats to pass?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I never said Obama didn't do good things. I think he was a decent president all things considered. Some mistakes were made with the 2008 fallout but yeah.
Note that Clinton also tried to pass health care reform
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:35
Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
It doesn't matter what actually caused the economy to be fucked. The reality is, by that time people were looking for something else and Reagan found the (political) answer. His answer turned into a political movement so successful, democrats had no choice but to fall in line. Unless you're arguing they should've lost every election for 30 years on purpose, in which case I disagree but you do have a little bit of a point because one of the reasons democrats are in trouble now is that they fell in line so readily
this country has always been right-wing by nature
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Thank you for acknowledging the reality that Democrats are not the only people in the world with agency
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:44
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Did you have a point with that
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 22:12
Cometk wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 21:44
Show hidden quotes
Did you have a point with that
Idek probably got mixed up somewhere while posting from work. But do want to circle back around to this:
Goodspeed wrote:
@Cometk You have to remember in the 70s you'd just had 40 years of left-wing politics . . .
Because this is so grossly patently false. I feel as though you don't give much of any consideration to American imperialism in this era devastating Indonesia, Korea, Vietnam, et cetera ad infinitum in the bloodthirsty quest of establishing global capitalist hegemony. That is not left-wing politics
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

iwillspankyou wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 00:10
fightinfrenchman wrote:Nominating liberal judges/justices is my number one concern
that is a chicken answer, make me disappointed in you. I always though you had some thinking behind those posts. Mybad
I did have some thinking behind my posts actually
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

SCOTUS throws out gun restriction rulings.

Gay marriage within a month lads, you heard it here first.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

About 20 bucks here, branded
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Hope you all had a wonderful Praise Month

Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

That is especially true when it comes to the climate crisis. Which is why we will work together and continue to work together, to address these issues, to tackle these challenges, and to work together as we continue to work operating from the new norms, rules, and agreements, that we will convene, to work together on, to galvanize global action. With that I thank you all, this is a matter of urgent priority for all of us, and I know we will work on this together.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@lejend Do you think states should decide if interracial marriage is legal or not?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:00
@lejend Do you think states should decide if interracial marriage is legal or not?
Marriage is something between a man and his wife. The state shouldn't be involved at all
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:12
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Marriage is something between a man and his wife. The state shouldn't be involved at all
That's not an answer to my question at all and you know it
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

🤪
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:16
lejend wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:12
fightinfrenchman wrote:
What part of "state shouldn't be involved at all" doesn't imply state should not decide anything in the said matter at all is unclear to you?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:45
fightinfrenchman wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:16
Show hidden quotes
What part of "state shouldn't be involved at all" doesn't imply state should not decide anything in the said matter at all is unclear to you?
The state has already decided, there are many legal ramifications to marriage regarding healthcare, taxes, etc. I'm asking about the Supreme Court overturning the ruling that made interracial marriage legal, and lejend isn't directly answering that because he has enough shame to know that it would look bad for him to say he's fine with that