EDX.org and online learning courses

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

EDX.org and online learning courses

Post by japanesegeneral »

I found this cool looking internet page called edx.org. The idea of the site is to give you the ability to take university courses from a lot of different universities (like MIT or Harvard University or german RWTH...) all over the world for free. You need to pay in case you want to have a degree (49$ for most courses).

I wonder if any of you ever did such an online course and how you exierenced it. I am especially interested in non native speaker responses since most of the courses are in english language and i am a german naitive speaker. Another concern of mine is in how far an online degree is even accepted by universities or companies.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Czech Republic siderit
Crossbow
ESO: IamSideritCze

Re: EDX.org and online learning courses

Post by siderit »

I had some courses there, english was not a problem, dont worry about that. The quality is really high and most of the teachers are funny as well. I dont know how accepted by universities and companies it is, but I think it is more about self development, you can always show your employer what you actually can do, thats better than some degree.

btw: you might also be interested in this: https://www.class-central.com/ it includes courses from many different sites like EDX :)
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

Thank you for your feedback. So did you take a self paced or a not self-paced course? The self development is indeed pretty nice.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Czech Republic siderit
Crossbow

Post by siderit »

I did take both, but i dislike self-peaced ones as I am too lazy and I just need deadlines in everything I do xD and yeah, it just came to my mind, if you are interested in making your CV better by those courses, I dont know how much one course helps, but there are nano-degrees, which are basicly 5-6 courses on one subject, it seems like a good idea, if you know what on you want to focus in the future. I started Front-End Web Developer Professional Certificate Program, which contains another 5 courses :) Maybe this way we have better chances of being competitive, as it is much more deeper understanding than taking one course.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

japanesegeneral wrote:I found this cool looking internet page called edx.org. The idea of the site is to give you the ability to take university courses from a lot of different universities (like MIT or Harvard University or german RWTH...) all over the world for free. You need to pay in case you want to have a degree (49$ for most courses).

I wonder if any of you ever did such an online course and how you exierenced it. I am especially interested in non native speaker responses since most of the courses are in english language and i am a german naitive speaker. Another concern of mine is in how far an online degree is even accepted by universities or companies.
Online degrees are not well-regarded. They can still be worth taking if you have the time/money and you find the subject matter interesting. But don't expect them to get you a job.
Top quality poster.
Czech Republic siderit
Crossbow

Post by siderit »

Well there are sites which guarantee you getting a job or they pay you the money back f.e. https://www.udacity.com/
No Flag jsimons1289
Dragoon

Post by jsimons1289 »

I've used these sites and they're actually quite good. When I started doing them I went for ones with a good university and that came with a certificate, but in all honestly it depends what kind of job / role you're going for as to what impact these have, if any.

If you're trying to get your foot in the door, and you've done a lot of online courses that are relevant (directly or otherwise) for the role you're applying for, then it yes it could help (shows drive, intellectual curiosity and a number of other competencies companies). But honestly, I wouldn't do these to try and help you get a job. Do them if you find them interesting and do want to learn more about a subject; they can help you excel in your job, but usually an actual degree, experience and interviews will all be held in higher regard.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

siderit wrote:Well there are sites which guarantee you getting a job or they pay you the money back f.e. https://www.udacity.com/

Thats just marketing, how can they ever determine what the base level job would be for you and what entails "better". Its an empty promise. That said, if its your main or only degree, its probably not enough, but to supplement a real degree, then i think it should be fine. Attitude towards online learning is changing and online degrees are getting better. I would probably not even mention its online until they ask about it. Then you can explain you did it in your free time and will make you seem highly motivated, which you likely are if you do that anyway.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Online classes are a joke unless you really apply yourself.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

i took several programming courses on there. Also, i liked their physics courses, as well as dynamics.
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:Online classes are a joke unless you really apply yourself.

What does that even mean? For most courses i honestly dont see the difference between following a lecture in class and following it at home, or making a test in class or at home. Sure its easier to cheat, but thats it. And if you do that youre only kidding yourself, and may as well get a fake degree instead, but the same is true for real uni degrees. Its just a lil bit harder
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

sounds promising for people who can't afford a "real" college degree, hopefully they will find a way to make this selective enough so it can be more recognized
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

umeu wrote:

What does that even mean? For most courses i honestly dont see the difference between following a lecture in class and following it at home, or making a test in class or at home. Sure its easier to cheat, but thats it. And if you do that youre only kidding yourself, and may as well get a fake degree instead, but the same is true for real uni degrees. Its just a lil bit harder

It means online classes are a joke unless you really apply yourself. You basically said what I did in more words.
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

benj89 wrote:sounds promising for people who can't afford a "real" cokllege degree, hopefully they will find a way to make this selective enough so it can be more recognized

Sounds like real college.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

deleted_user wrote:
umeu wrote:

It means online classes are a joke unless you really apply yourself. You basically said what I did in more words.

I think what umeu mean is that this is extremely close to being the truth when it comes to classes irl as well.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:
umeu wrote:

I understand, but why is that any different offline? You can say uni degrees are a joke unless you apply yourself
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

cant google an in-person test. the process of practicing, memorizing, and recalling that information is one of the most effective methods of learning.

you can't tell me that same process applies in an online course.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

oxaloacetate wrote:
benj89 wrote:sounds promising for people who can't afford a "real" cokllege degree, hopefully they will find a way to make this selective enough so it can be more recognized

Sounds like real college.

even in non selective unis, as long as you have a good gpa/know how to network you will have a job, not sure that's the case with online degrees but hopefully it will
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:cant google an in-person test. the process of practicing, memorizing, and recalling that information is one of the most effective methods of learning.

you can't tell me that same process applies in an online course.

obviously it does, assuming that the person who takes the course is being serious about it. Obviously, it's harder to cheat on an exam taken in a regulated environment, but that doesn't mean that the process of learning is different online. Anyway, i get your point, i guess you just phrased it oddly.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm just peeved I'm not understanding my online Java course.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Online certifications may give a slight advantage. At least that's the opinion of this redditor (5th paragraph):