Official AoE 4 Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: Official AoE 4 Thread

Post by Djigit »

Omkar_Satapathy wrote:
Djigit wrote:
Omkar_Satapathy wrote:Would love to see Aoe4 covering all ages like Rise of Nations but with features from company heroes like true sight, weather, cover etc. Please Sega.....
I truly like this suggestion. However, I'd still prefer the develop a new Rise of Nations instead of mixing them up.

Rise of nation's had some problems. Wonders common to all civilization made no sense. While it proved it's graphics by more diverse units for each civilization, it still lacked the taste. AI is too dumb to spam units at you, there was no walls, unlimited resources, hardcoded modding limits to civs and units, terrible terrain textures and few other things. I hope they won't repeat it in future games. Also demanding so many definitive editions is not reasonable. They already promised aoe4 and 2 definitive editions for Aoe2 and Aoe3, but no news on development, I sometimes doubt if they liked us. Let them finish AOEs first. Asking them to do Rise of Nations as well sounds unreasonable.
It doesn't have to be from the same game editor though. 2K games and Firaxis could actually do a better job than Microsoft.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

They already announced or even made a RON remake.
Also TAD was made by the same guys of RON.
Image Image Image
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Garja wrote:They already announced or even made a RON remake.

If you're talking about the Steam release, I wouldn't call that a remake. It's remade about on the level of how AoE2:HD was remade from AoC.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Yeah, the RON Extended Edition. I bought it on Steam a while ago out of nostalgia - RON was my first RTS game. The only differences between EE and the original is that the EE has a new home screen and costs more. There isn't any new content like there was for AoE2HD.

RON is a great game, but I don't think an AoE title should be modeled after it. They may both be RTS games, but they are quite different in many ways. Turning AoE4 into a RON sequel would mean dropping pretty much everything that AoE is known for.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag Omkar_Satapathy
Dragoon

Post by Omkar_Satapathy »

If they follow this cover art, aoe5(total fiction) would be disastrous. Glad ensemble studio didn't continued :devilrazz: , I hope relic won't follow it, or do you think it will. They are quite expert in ww2 game, maybe they are willing to create ww1 or 19th and 20th century in general that involved many significant events like cold war, world wars, war for independence, end of colonialism etc I think they are able to create all such stuff, they proved themselves by company of heroes.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Ensemble Studios advertising smoking to impressionable youth...
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

deleted_user wrote:Ensemble Studios advertising smoking to impressionable youth...

that's outdoor smoking - totally fine
No Flag Omkar_Satapathy
Dragoon

Post by Omkar_Satapathy »

deleted_user wrote:Ensemble Studios advertising smoking to impressionable youth...

:?:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Omkar_Satapathy wrote:

:?:

ImageImageImage
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

That's not a cigarette. That's a lollipop, you dummy!
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

meh i really hope it doesn't go into 20th century
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

If AoE3 was a spin-off like AoM and was called Age of Discovery, would it have been a more successful game without the whiny AoE2 f@gs' negativism?
No Flag Ting
Crossbow

Post by Ting »

So basically what you are saying is (apart from the 14 year old temper) that people didn't buy and play AoE3 as much because the AoE2 players manipulated people en masse into avoiding AoE3. 'Aliens' level conspiracy there.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

3rd Dan sophist.
But yeah, that's what I BASICALLY said.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Ting wrote:So basically what you are saying is (apart from the 14 year old temper) that people didn't buy and play AoE3 as much because the AoE2 players manipulated people en masse into avoiding AoE3. 'Aliens' level conspiracy there.

Pretty accurate tbh. AoE3 didn't meet many expectations from AoE2 so a big part of the community hated on it and was very vocal about it, which didn't encourage a lot of potential new players to try the game.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Ting wrote:So basically what you are saying is (apart from the 14 year old temper) that people didn't buy and play AoE3 as much because the AoE2 players manipulated people en masse into avoiding AoE3. 'Aliens' level conspiracy there.

I think you're discrediting that statement way to quickly by blindly calling it a conspiracy. It makes some sense at the very least. AOE3 didn't have the best possible reception; many aoe2 fanatics thought the way it completely changed the game mechanics were basically heresy and I feel like there are many people that disregarded aoe3 completely because of that. Just go to reddit and browse a bit. I was amazed to find out how many people simply call aoe3 a terrible game or a complete failure or hardly even recognize it as a part of the series - this negative attitude is actually real and widely spread. They hate the game just for being different, and I can see how making aoe3's status more similair to AoM's could actually have improved public reception. Now this is all hypothetical and hard to confirm, but calling such a statement a conspiracy is straight up ignorant.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

I agree, hell I was one of those people. I received aoe3 for my birthday or christmas because whoever it was knew I liked strategy games. I played it a few times shook my head and shelved it for 6 or 7 years before I was talked into it and it grew on me. A lot of gamers then saw their games getting gutted and there was a backlash against most games of that era. Now it is even worse as the major publishers strip down even the most intense violent games there are so that even my 4 year old half brother could beat it. I hope aoe4 is awesome and breathtaking and so on and I hope they actually involve some of the great people we have here as well as some from aoe2.
No Flag Ting
Crossbow

Post by Ting »

As much as we like to hate, the reality is that any element belonging to the “grind to win” category is not going to end well with any RTS (leveling up homecities to gain an advantage in our case), and this is what mostly kept away especially competitive players initially. Only after this big negative factor came the gameplay changes and time setting which may have been or may not have been perceived negatively by AoE2 players, in a time when internet outrage wasnt yet influential anyway and most fans of the franchise bought the game regardless what was being said on some inaccessible part found on the internet, deciding for themselves to stick or not with the new game in the franchise. Same for newcomers to the fanchise back then.

You could maybe say that AoE3 hasnt caught back in player numbers today when you no longer need to grind because AoE2 is way more popular and attracts most potential new players. This is somehing else.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Well at the point you get rid of aging is it really aoe anymore?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Ting wrote:As much as we like to hate, the reality is that any element belonging to the “grind to win” category is not going to end well with any RTS (leveling up homecities to gain an advantage in our case), and this is what mostly kept away especially competitive players initially. Only after this big negative factor came the gameplay changes and time setting which may have been or may not have been perceived negatively by AoE2 players, in a time when internet outrage wasnt yet influential anyway and most fans of the franchise bought the game regardless what was being said on some inaccessible part found on the internet, deciding for themselves to stick or not with the new game in the franchise. Same for newcomers to the fanchise back then.

You could maybe say that AoE3 hasnt caught back in player numbers today when you no longer need to grind because AoE2 is way more popular and attracts most potential new players. This is somehing else.

Grind to win is such a terrible overstatement though.. and we're not talking ancient history, in 2005 people were well aware of how to use the internet.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Lol how I miss the internet before facebook and youtube. When google was some weird little search engine no one ever used.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

IE6 <3
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Windows 93 <3 & dos lol. When a good computer had 32kbs of ram
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

Huh, r u talkin' about an IBM XT?
Memory‎: ‎128–640 KB RAM
CPU‎: ‎Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Idk lol I was 5 years old. My grandfather worked for IBM back then so it would not suprise me. I do remember the upgrade after. It was cobbled together from a bunch of scrap pieces and had 64 kb of ram. Or maybe it was mb? Maybe my dementia is kicking in.