the expanse

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

the expanse

Post by lordraphael »

I officially reccomend this series. Its awesome. Any1 actually watched it aswell ?
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: the expanse

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Watched season 1 which I liked a lot, haven't gotten to season 2 yet but it's on the to-do list. Actually, I'll start watching season 2 today.
duck
:mds:
imo
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

yeah, I saw season 1 and 2 a week or 2 ago. Nice to see new sci-fi with ambition. Good storyline from book and good special effects.
Was worth it. :smile:
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

ambition thats really fitting and I think the series showcases that ambition quite well. Effects are good, actors are very good, storyline is good ( probably thanks to the series based on a book ), soundtrack is good. Just good in every aspect. And it also doesnt compare to other sc fi series I know of. Ill admit i havent seen much of that genre, mainly because its usually trash.
Overall Im very surprised that its so unkwown, I discovered it almost by accident while I was looking for a new series to watch.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Thanks i was looking for new series.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I watched maybe 2 eps when it came out, don't remember much. I think I planned to continue but then forgot about it. Probably wasn't invested in the characters enough.
Still plan to watch it at some point. Does it slow down a little?
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Goodspeed wrote:I watched maybe 2 eps when it came out, don't remember much. I think I planned to continue but then forgot about it. Probably wasn't invested in the characters enough.
Still plan to watch it at some point. Does it slow down a little?

not sure what you mean with slowing down a little. Pace is not very fast, but if you looking for a " the Wire" like story development you are wrong :)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I mean does it take its time to build characters. There were a lot of them iirc. I don't know what you mean by the pace not being fast, it was definitely fast at least in the first eps. I suppose it might slow down after? Which is good.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon

Post by Asateo »

Have you every seen 'serenity'. It kind of evolves into a show like that.
@lordraphael , if you liked this. You might like Serenity. Also Sci-Fi but of the good kind. ^_^
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Did you mean Firefly? Serenity is the movie they made afterwards.
I remember the sadness when they canceled Firefly. The internet collectively facepalmed.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon

Post by Asateo »

Goodspeed wrote:Did you mean Firefly? Serenity is the movie they made afterwards.
I remember the sadness when they canceled Firefly. The internet collectively facepalmed.

You're right, mixed up the movie and the series. Yeah, they indeed cancelled it. :shock:
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Yeah lol
Top quality poster.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Goodspeed wrote:Did you mean Firefly? Serenity is the movie they made afterwards.

i dont wanna watch a series which only has 1 season.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah I don't blame you. Might still be worth it though if you enjoy sci-fi and character dramas
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

i watched the first episodes of firefly. Dont see why people hype it. its nothing special
No Flag TheArtofWars
Crossbow

Post by TheArtofWars »

lordraphael wrote:i watched the first episodes of firefly. Dont see why people hype it. its nothing special

Everything that is mainstream is shit.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@TheArtofWars Okay so what isn't shit?

@lordraphael It's not the best show ever, although some people would have you believe that. It starts slowly iirc, but it manages quite well to get you invested in the characters. The unique setting was a major selling point too, I think. Not much of a plot though. In that, it's probably very different from the Expanse which, let's face it, isn't exactly the Wire reincarnate either :P
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Goodspeed wrote:@TheArtofWars Okay so what isn't shit?

@lordraphael It's not the best show ever, although some people would have you believe that. It starts slowly iirc, but it manages quite well to get you invested in the characters. The unique setting was a major selling point too, I think. Not much of a plot though. In that, it's probably very different from the Expanse which, let's face it, isn't exactly the Wire reincarnate either :P

well its decent, its probably a bit unfair to judge it by todays standards, simply because theres much more money available to series and good CGI is a thing, even for series, which firefly just lacks.
Ye the expanse is no the Wire which isnt a bad thing tho, I really liked the Wire but I dont need every series to be that way and the Expanse easily made it into my top 10 series, I can wait for the next season.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon

Post by Asateo »

Lot's of talk about the Wire here, I started watching it an episode or 2 some time ago. Seemed like normal police serie and I didn't continue. I have the feeling I got that wrong though. :huh:
Yeah, Firefly is an older series. I guess it's the western + space that makes it attractive. I remember being: 'what on earth' in a good way.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

lordraphael wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:@TheArtofWars Okay so what isn't shit?

well its decent, its probably a bit unfair to judge it by todays standards, simply because theres much more money available to series and good CGI is a thing, even for series, which firefly just lacks.
Ye the expanse is no the Wire which isnt a bad thing tho, I really liked the Wire but I dont need every series to be that way and the Expanse easily made it into my top 10 series, I can wait for the next season.
Right it's a very different show which is fine, but I meant in terms of pure quality. I was having a hard time coming up with an iconic sci fi show that I loved so I just went with that. Could've said Black Mirror but I find that a lot of people haven't seen that for some reason :unsure:
But I don't really know enough to judge. By now the problem is that there was so much going on in the first eps that I would need to rewatch them to have any clue. It takes a lot to make the effort to rewatch a show that I wasn't super interested in to begin with, especially considering all of the other shit I have to watch. I guess the good news is that there's a bit of a dip in quality TV shows right now, so I might run out pretty soon.

Asateo wrote:Lot's of talk about the Wire here, I started watching it an episode or 2 some time ago. Seemed like normal police serie and I didn't continue. I have the feeling I got that wrong though. :huh:
Yeah, Firefly is an older series. I guess it's the western + space that makes it attractive. I remember being: 'what on earth' in a good way.
It's not for everyone. I posted this in another thread:
This show is real. It starts slow, but give it an honest chance. It won't pull you in with cliffhangers or exciting plot twists but fuck me sideways if it isn't the best writing a TV show has ever seen. Widely considered by critics to be the best show ever and it probably will stay that way for a good while to come.
But wiki describes it better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire#Reception
Several reviewers have called it the best show on television, including TIME,[81] Entertainment Weekly,[72] the Chicago Tribune,[82] Slate,[53] the San Francisco Chronicle,[83] the Philadelphia Daily News[84] and the British newspaper The Guardian,[33] which ran a week-by-week blog following every episode,[85] also collected in a book, The Wire Re-up.[86] Charlie Brooker, a columnist for The Guardian, has been particularly enthusiastic in his praise of the show, both in his "Screen Burn" column and in his BBC Four television series Screenwipe, calling it possibly the greatest show of the last 20 years.[87][88] In 2007, TIME listed it among the one hundred best television series of all-time.[89] In 2013, the Writers Guild of America ranked The Wire as the ninth best written TV series.[90] In 2013, TV Guide ranked The Wire as the sixth greatest show of all time.[91] In 2013, Entertainment Weekly listed the show at #6 in their list of the "26 Best Cult TV Shows Ever," describing it as "one of the most highly praised series in HBO history" and praising Michael K. Williams's acting as Omar Little.[92] Entertainment Weekly also named it the number one TV show of all-time in a special issue in 2013.[93] In 2016, Rolling Stone ranked it second on its list of 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.
I didn't know that about Charlie Brooker, that's pretty cool. He's the writer of Black Mirror, which is in my top 3 as well.

Anyway I don't mean to hijack this thread :sad:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

black mirror gives me anxiety i had to stop watching it
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I don't blame ya
Turkey HUMMAN