Greatest nation on earth

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Greatest nation on earth

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Re: Greatest nation on earth

Post by SoldieR »

Vacation time
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

The way they treat their citizens. I've heard great things about Scandinavian countries and how they provide PTO to new parents (including the father). Also, I've heard they rehab criminals rather than incarcerate them (which happens to be a huge problem in the USA).
Food is definitely important! which is why Peru is the greatest nation in the world! :P (half-joking of course)
I would say environmental policy is very important as well as is the treatment of immigrants/refugees.
De Funk
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

IAmSoldieR wrote:Vacation time

The only metric.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

I really hate it when people ignore all that is wrong in America, and continue to blindly insist that we are the best at everything. Greatness is earned; it isn't innate... The United States needs to stop its endless military adventures abroad (which costs trillions of dollars each and accomplish nothing), reform its education and healthcare systems, and confront the still-lingering ghosts of slavery.

American exceptionalism is cancer.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Papist wrote:I really hate it when people ignore all that is wrong in America, and continue to blindly insist that we are the best at everything. Greatness is earned; it isn't innate... The United States needs to stop its endless military adventures abroad (which costs trillions of dollars each and accomplish nothing), reform its education and healthcare systems, and confront the still-lingering ghosts of slavery.

American exceptionalism is what our government wants you to believe in (it distracts from the government's detrimental ventures). I would say our people are not too bad, but our government is filled with crooks. The main reason for that being that our government is not democratic at all, it's legacy based. You have politicians/CEOs here paying their son's/dauighter's way through ivy league schools with "sizeable donations" to the law/business departments of their respective schools. And future CEOs alongside future congressmen in the same classes in these ivy league schools, cheating/scamming their way through college together. No wonder they cheat and scam together when they grow up and inherit daddy's position in life.
De Funk
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

the greatest nation is the one which has achieved to brainwash the highest percentage of their citizens to believe it's the greatest nation, or else be too afraid to show dissent. So naturally, the greatest nation is North Korea.
Finland fungu
Musketeer
ESO: vati

Post by fungu »

kami_ryu wrote:So then the next question is what are those metrics? The rights we get? Scientific or social accomplishments? Food? Price of booze?

http://worldhappiness.report/ed/2017/
Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, in that order. :biggrin: They measure social support, GPD, corruption, freedom to make life choices etc.

I was couchsurfing with an American couple this summer and was shocked to hear how little vacation they get per year. Like one week or something provided you've managed to get a decent job? Meanwhile as a Finn all I have to do is manage to hold the same job for a year and i get a ~30 weekdays long vacation with pay.

That said, all these nice things don't stop people from being unhappy, depressed, suicidal...
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

No king rules forever, my son.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

There isn't really a greatest nation on earth. You can get prominent countries and countries that people want to live in but to have a single country that stands out as the greatest is quite objective I feel. There are good and bad points about any country really. The US is pretty nice to me, I would like to live there one day. The US, however, has a lot of poverty and hardship - more than a lot of countries. You could argue that a happy country is a great country but that isn't quite the case. Every country is great in their own way and bad in others.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

I do not mean to disrupt this discussion, but...

phpBB [video]

(and yes, this is serious most of the time but within a satire context)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

For me its the Netherlands, would consider moving to germany, denmark, sweden and norway but beer in norway is too expensive so for now its NL denmark sweden and thats it.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

V.O.C !

USA sucks. I'd rather live in some village in zimbabwe.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

jesus3 wrote:I do not mean to disrupt this discussion, but...

[spoiler]
phpBB [video]
[/spoiler]

(and yes, this is serious most of the time but within a satire context)

Thank you, :love: for making my day. :biggrin:

Edit: On a serious not. I'm a big fan of the north european countries. Their social system seems to be fairest and create happyness (watch above).

I've been in the US and this idea of "everybody else wants to live in the USA too" never stops to amaze me. By most standards, there are better places to live, though granted worse too. That being said, I do love the place, but happy living where I live. :)
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

The greatest nation on earth exists in our hearts, and maybe if we just believe then we can make it real.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Papist wrote:I really hate it when people ignore all that is wrong in America, and continue to blindly insist that we are the best at everything. Greatness is earned; it isn't innate... The United States needs to stop its endless military adventures abroad (which costs trillions of dollars each and accomplish nothing), reform its education and healthcare systems, and confront the still-lingering ghosts of slavery.

Sad to say but I think US huge military and weapon industry is not allowing US to stop fighting. I'm not expert is this matter but I think constant fighting and selling arms and whatever is what is keeping states in reasonable condition.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

And yeah btw Germany is the greatest place ever : )
cheap food and cheap alcohol, all you need as a finn. and culturally they're rather close to Finland if you don't count swedes and norwegians.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Brazil.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

cCc
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

tedere12 wrote:Brazil.

Serbia.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Sweden, because it is simply among the best in all of those aspects: price of booze, scientific accomplishments, food, social accomplishments, and rights. Our price of vodka is twice that of Germany, we were among the first to break free of the biological paradigm and realise that there are in fact 328 genders, potatoes with meatballs is probably the most luxurious and innovative dish in the world, Swedes are extremely antisocial - reaching heights no other nation has ever been able to reach before, and everyone has the right to pay tax.
Pay more attention to detail.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Gendarme wrote:Sweden, because it is simply among the best in all of those aspects: price of booze, scientific accomplishments, food, social accomplishments, and rights. Our price of vodka is twice that of Germany, we were among the first to break free of the biological paradigm and realise that there are in fact 328 genders, potatoes with meatballs is probably the most luxurious and innovative dish in the world, Swedes are extremely antisocial - reaching heights no other nation has ever been able to reach before, and everyone has the right to pay tax.

IKEA meatballsh wow
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

princeofkabul wrote:And yeah btw Germany is the greatest place ever : )
cheap food and cheap alcohol, all you need as a finn. and culturally they're rather close to Finland if you don't count swedes and norwegians.

nordish union incoming <3
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.