ESOC Fitness Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Re: ESOC Fitness Thread

Post by vardar »

n0el wrote:Got after it for 40 miles on the bike today. Hard ride after too many beersh last night.
You go stationary or hit the roads?
c0ns!
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

vardar wrote:
n0el wrote:Got after it for 40 miles on the bike today. Hard ride after too many beersh last night.
You go stationary or hit the roads?
Roads. Lucky to be in northern Michigan right now and have access to amazing stretches of bike trails.

Much like a treadmill, I don’t think I could stay focused on a stationary bike for that long.
mad cuz bad
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

well i dont know now since lockdown! wen to the gym same weight as before really but was struggling to squat 80kg compared to doing sets of 5x5 105kgs on the squat rack, couldnt walk in a straight line after quick 1km run to finish
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:well i dont know now since lockdown! wen to the gym same weight as before really but was struggling to squat 80kg compared to doing sets of 5x5 105kgs on the squat rack, couldnt walk in a straight line after quick 1km run to finish
That was me after bowling 5 overs in my first cricket match since house arrest.
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

chris1089 wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:well i dont know now since lockdown! wen to the gym same weight as before really but was struggling to squat 80kg compared to doing sets of 5x5 105kgs on the squat rack, couldnt walk in a straight line after quick 1km run to finish
How many wides? ;)
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
How many wides? ;)
1. I bowled 5 overs 1-23
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gibson wrote:Went to the gym, a bit pissed off cause I have to pay 2.5 per parking every time I go. If i go 3 days a week that more than doubles the cost of membership. I guess I could go to the one thats 10 miles away thats not downtown so has free parking, but I dont want to do that either.
I knew recovery was gonna suck since its been so long since I've been to the gym, but I'm still fucking sore today, 3 days later.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

gibson wrote:
gibson wrote:Went to the gym, a bit pissed off cause I have to pay 2.5 per parking every time I go. If i go 3 days a week that more than doubles the cost of membership. I guess I could go to the one thats 10 miles away thats not downtown so has free parking, but I dont want to do that either.
I knew recovery was gonna suck since its been so long since I've been to the gym, but I'm still fucking sore today, 3 days later.
The trick is not to stop. After the next workout, another muscle group will be sore and you will ignore the first one
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

anybody else waddle out of the gym the first time doing legs back at the gym since lockdown?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:anybody else waddle out of the gym the first time doing legs back at the gym since lockdown?
I couldn't fully stretch my arms xD

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Nope but my arms felt horrible this morning.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

I found turning over in my sleep achy after my first few times of bowling.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

I was wondering about routines, how frequently do you change them and how do you do it considering your various goals?

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

BrookG wrote:I feel stuck. I have been at 60kg for over 2-3 months. It seems I can't gain weight, not sure what I do wrong. The dietitian I used to visit isn't working atm.
Update: I increased my intake by 200 kcals, at around 2200-2400 max. I am a bit less than 62kg and 14% fat ratio. I might have helped not exercising only at home but rather in the gym

Also, I have tried the park these couple weeks. Although that proved to be more demanding than I expected, it was actually more crowded, and I won't choose it as often due cases increasing here in Greece.

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Do any of you guys know if protien powders and kreatine are worth getting?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Riotcoke wrote:Do any of you guys know if protien powders and kreatine are worth getting?
If you can't get 1 gram of protein/pound of lean bodyweight in your natural diet and your fitness goal is to gain muscle mass, consider using a protein supplement. Little reason for creatine imho, but also little reason not to. Science isn't conclusive on its efficacy and for a beginner or intermediate lifter there are ample gains to be made as is. I don't think it's dangerous just a waste of money.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Riotcoke wrote:Do any of you guys know if protien powders and kreatine are worth getting?
Personally, I find protein powder kind of useless if you have a somewhat balanced diet. I barely eat meat and do not focus on my protein intake, yet my muscles are growing without any protein powder. IMO it is mostly a waste of money. I do use creatine - there does seem to be some evidence on it being useful (although it might not be conclusive, as Callen said) and to me it seems relatively cheap compared to basically every other type of supplement. Creatine is like 15 euros or dollars for around 6-12 months worth of the stuff. It is much cheaper than regularly eating protein powder, which is more like 30 dollars per month if you take it regularly (or more).

Overall, if you're a beginner, I wouldn't use, either, and just focus on eating enough healthy food and training hard. If you're a bit more advanced, creatine can't hurt. IMO, all other supplements are either not really needed (protein powder) or entirely useless and a waste of money (BCAA etc.).

Source: have been training on and off for over 10 years, weigh ~82 kg at 180 cm height, can do 15-12-10 pull-ups, used to bench press the 100 lb dumbbells on flat press (I don't use free weights anymore because of my joints, now I do 225 lb on the incline chest press machine for 10-8-8). None of that is amazing or meant to show off, just to indicate that I have some work out experience. Obviously it's the internet, so believe it or not.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

I have no opinion on protein powders. I heard from a friend that used to throw hammer, that she had more appetite when taking, and could eat much more; thus making frequent meals easier.

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Protein powders are not primary supplement because:
- It is refined, that body does not react well (like refined sugar, flour, palm oil etc.) such that may cause imflammation
- No one of the pros prefer it because whole foods are much better, rich piana explains it well people just sponsor it for the money.
- Cow milk has hormones and stuff that cause estrogen levels to go high, if you are kinda fatty, with oily skin, first you should do is to get your hormone levels healty for an adult male(most people dont have healthy levels). You can understand by looking at the mirror. If your T levels rise you will gain strength and muscle, also better workouts. Red meat is just better.
- There are claims some firms put chemicals in powders for various reasons and you can't always be %100 certain. So buy from a reliable source.
Only benefit of powder i know is it circulates in blood faster and 'some studies' sponsored by 'whoever' claims to enhance muscle restoration which i am skeptical about. Either way, powder is not that critical in bigger theme i think, you can obviously get better by using it as a protein reinforcement, but it is overrated due to advertising. I dont know about kreatine, never interested.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Hmm, might just stick to my white frozen fish fillet and brocolli diet that i've had for the last two weeks then. Although if what you're saying brook is true i might try it, putting on weight is sort of hard for me as i have a super high motabilsm.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Riotcoke wrote:Hmm, might just stick to my white frozen fish fillet and brocolli diet that i've had for the last two weeks then. Although if what you're saying brook is true i might try it, putting on weight is sort of hard for me as i have a super high motabilsm.
Take it with a grain of salt, I can't guarantee it. Also, you might want to track what you eat. If you have high metabolism, you might want to have a larger calorie intake.

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Ye, i don't see the harm trying it for a month or so, a kg bag is only like £11 or something.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Back in the day prince and I had a brief talk about creatine and he said he got good results from it.

@Warno hey did u ever use creatine? How was ur experience?
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Riotcoke wrote:Hmm, might just stick to my white frozen fish fillet and brocolli diet that i've had for the last two weeks then. Although if what you're saying brook is true i might try it, putting on weight is sort of hard for me as i have a super high motabilsm.
Honestly, if you're mostly starting out and trying to gain weight I wouldn't try a classic bodybuilder diet like that. Not because it is bad per se, just because the focus should be on gaining muscle mass. Doing that is easier if you eat stuff that actually tastes good lol.

Obviously you shouldn't just binge on McDonald's, chips or chocolate. But if you focus on eating more and just eat generally good stuff like eggs, veggies, meat, fish, feta cheese, nuts, grains, wholegrain pasta, rice, joghurt etc that's completely fine.

If you are like 60 kg (Idk how much you weigh) and only eat fish and broccoli, chances are that you'll eat too little or just get bored fast.

Better aim for a longterm, somewhat healthy but sustainable diet than going full bodybuilder broccoli style imo. Marathon, not a sprint.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Astaroth wrote:
Honestly, if you're mostly starting out and trying to gain weight I wouldn't try a classic bodybuilder diet like that. Not because it is bad per se, just because the focus should be on gaining muscle mass. Doing that is easier if you eat stuff that actually tastes good lol.

Obviously you shouldn't just binge on McDonald's, chips or chocolate. But if you focus on eating more and just eat generally good stuff like eggs, veggies, meat, fish, feta cheese, nuts, grains, wholegrain pasta, rice, joghurt etc that's completely fine.

If you are like 60 kg (Idk how much you weigh) and only eat fish and broccoli, chances are that you'll eat too little or just get bored fast.

Better aim for a longterm, somewhat healthy but sustainable diet than going full bodybuilder broccoli style imo. Marathon, not a sprint.
I'm 74kg and 182cm and i do eat other stuff, it's just become my go to evening meal as it's cheap and pretty good for you.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV