Alright.. Which mic are you using?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag dave_12
Skirmisher

Re: Alright.. Which mic are you using?

Post by dave_12 »

I can recommend the Pearlman TM1
No Flag dave_12
Skirmisher

Post by dave_12 »

_LeGiT wrote:Dunno bruh.
Iā€˜ll just hit up the stu in my lambo get right in the booth. While dre puts on that sick beat in the background, I just drop dem bars with a big J in my hand.

sounds legit
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

For microphone I use a Plantronics 355 headset
Sound quality is extremely good, mic is...not the best, but it's good for $35. Quite comfortable too.
I have a Roland UA-22 audio interface I use to get sound from my electric drums and guitar to my laptop. Sound quality is very good and it's not difficult to use. The headset does not require the audio interface
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Hidddy_ wrote:You may not need an audio interface, make sure you plug the minijack into the microphone input rather than the speaker output. Also you can try using an xlr to USB cable and your computer should be able to pick up sound from it

I plugged it in the Line-in input. But I don't think it can work, because the mic has -54dB sensitivity so it needs a lot of gain before you can get some sound out of it.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Dolan wrote:
Hidddy_ wrote:You may not need an audio interface, make sure you plug the minijack into the microphone input rather than the speaker output. Also you can try using an xlr to USB cable and your computer should be able to pick up sound from it

I plugged it in the Line-in input. But I don't think it can work, because the mic has -54dB sensitivity so it needs a lot of gain before you can get some sound out of it.

Aww man sounds tough. As one last tip just make sure that for whatever program you use to configure the audio input and output settings to make sure your computer recognizes the mic as a sound input and is using it as the default sound input. Hope you find a solution bud
De Funk
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

any reason you went with the sm57 instead of the 58? i'm assuming it was for vocal work
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Durokan wrote:any reason you went with the sm57 instead of the 58? i'm assuming it was for vocal work

I watched some reviews of both mics which showed sound samples and tests too, and it seemed to me the SM57 sounded a bit better than the 58. Voice sounded crispier on the high end of the spectrum.

And the SM58 is typically a stage mic, whereas SM57 is typically an instrument mic that can be used for voice too. Condenser mics of similar sound quality are much more expensive, otherwise I would have got a condenser. The SM7B for example has the same diaphragm inside the capsule as the SM57, only the inputs/outputs and the insulation from RFI are different. But the SM7B costs four times as the SM57..

So, I decided the SM57 would be a good enough middle ground for different types of use cases.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I finally made the whole setup work. Got a Scarlett Solo as an interface and I'm running everything audio through it. There was a whole saga about cables, before I got the interface, I first bought an XLR-TRS jack cable that I ran thru a 6.3mm-3.5mm adaptor which I plugged directly in the PC Line-in. It didn't work, because the mic needs a lot of gain (sensitivity -54dB). So, after I got the interface, I tried again to plug the cable in the mic and the TRS connector in the guitar/instrument line. Again, it didn't work, because apparently the instrument input has a much different impedance than the mic one. So, I had to exchange the cable with a proper XLR male to female one and it finally works. Took me a while to figure out I had to select 1 channel as input in the Windows sound settings for recording, otherwise it only output to the left.
Now it only needs a windsock/pop filter to cut some of the plosives you get from speaking close to it and it's perfect. If you need a co-caster, I'm all set, just let me know if you're interested. :love: :uglylol:

Here's my current setup: