This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02
ESO: Gendarme

18 May 2018, 13:09

I'll order some GPUs soon I think; the prices are quite low these days in anticipation of the rumored release. I'll have to make a call on whether the new generation of Nvidia cards are actually going to be released soon or if the rumors are completely baseless. Mining is important to me because that is the only way to get coins before they hit the market, and I have my eyes on a very specific long-term project (see my shitty poem and figure it out). Luckily for me, USD has gained quite a bit of value compared to SEK, which makes mining that much more profitable. Bitmain has been quite scary lately, but I really don't think they are an acute threat to GPU miners.

Other than mining, I'll just continue my day-to-day research about both the tech, history, and shenaniganry for now. I still have a lot of catching up to do in all of those aspects and it's quite time-consuming. I just finished reading Mastering Bitcoin (2nd ed.), although I'll have to revisit it a few more times.
duck wrote:man it really sucks when you have to agree with gendarme on things
Cyprus Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

18 May 2018, 13:13

I'm only in crypto because of the money to be made, and too avoid tax.
Actually my location is not on the blockchain at all.

They can invent 666 blockchains for all I care.

I still think it's damn cool though.
36: This herd, was not herded correctly towards his town center
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

18 May 2018, 13:35

That's cause the tech is so revolutionary you can't grasp it.

Cyprus Snuden
Jaeger

18 May 2018, 13:38

Yea, I still have problems setting up hotkeys in AoE3.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

18 May 2018, 13:38

It's not that revolutionary.
Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
XeeleeFlower wrote:I don't mind open endings as long as the story continues at some point
Nigeria jgals
Dragoon
ESO: jgals

19 May 2018, 05:33

:ohmy:
Goodspeed wrote:It's not that revolutionary.

its hilarity how much all the "dont be evil" tech clowns in Si valley are attaching blockchains to charitable donations, carbon credits and pieces of rainforest now claiming they are saving the world through blockchain.

NEWSFLASH: you cant save the rainforest with something that takes a ridiculous amount of computing power and electricity to create and serves no obviously tangible functional purpose to speak of for it!
lol

i"m in it for the money too and that is pretty much all.

Of course someone who so deftly has analyzed the game of AOE3 by treating it like a science to be studied could easily study the crypto markets. TBH with my background of coming from trading US equities crypto profits are shooting fish in a barrel. Sometimes I actually felt bad at how easily I was making money knowing that there would be a ton of 15 year old scrubs on the ass end of the deal. But not for very long. Only about two minutes actually
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

20 May 2018, 20:28

I just pulled the trigger. All-in short on Bitcoin with x3 leverage. Pray for me, lads!
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

21 May 2018, 07:59

what do u know we don't know? I heard nothing about Asian btc markets.
Cyprus Snuden
Jaeger

21 May 2018, 09:23

Market is green today.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

21 May 2018, 10:19

Gendarme wrote:I just pulled the trigger. All-in short on Bitcoin with x3 leverage. Pray for me, lads!
:huh:
I won't because I'm still long. Not on BTC, but yeah. Bit of a conflict of interest.
Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
XeeleeFlower wrote:I don't mind open endings as long as the story continues at some point
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

21 May 2018, 10:43

You are to blame if I get rekt then.
India princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor
ESO: Sav0rybeef

21 May 2018, 10:57

Gendarme wrote:I just pulled the trigger. All-in short on Bitcoin with x3 leverage. Pray for me, lads!

can't cuz it's bitcoin
Fantastic Friday Showdown
Fantastic Discord : https://discord.gg/69XVRE4
Twitch : https://www.twitch.tv/trgaoe3

#SavetheBeef
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

21 May 2018, 13:09

When does it resolve
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

21 May 2018, 13:16

wut ?
those "insider news" or just full on gamble?
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

21 May 2018, 14:08

umeu wrote:

When does it resolve
Bitmex contracts are perpetual. I'm too lazy to try to understand exactly how they work.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

21 May 2018, 14:14

Why would a short have to "resolve"? It's a contract where you are selling an X amount of something you don't have and promising to buy it back in the future. When in the future is up to you.
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

21 May 2018, 14:17

Futures do have a predetermined date, and the type of long/short contracts one can get at the market (they are called certificates in Swedish) usually have futures in the layer beneath them (i.e. the bank buys futures on your behalf).
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

21 May 2018, 14:20

It's 9:15 AM in Chicago and the price just started dumping. I am assuming that this is the first time since Friday that the CBOE/CME Bitcoin futures can be traded. Just a coincidence or did I foresee this correctly? :hleung:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

21 May 2018, 14:28

Futures do have a predetermined date, and the type of long/short contracts one can get at the market (they are called certificates in Swedish) usually have futures in the layer beneath them (i.e. the bank buys futures on your behalf).
Sure but that's, like you said, a future contract.
Maybe in crypto shorts are almost always futures, which is why you associate them with each other. Apparently what you have right now is not a future, though.
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

21 May 2018, 14:38

Gendarme wrote:Futures do have a predetermined date, and the type of long/short contracts one can get at the market (they are called certificates in Swedish) usually have futures in the layer beneath them (i.e. the bank buys futures on your behalf).

Yea, thats what I thought
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

21 May 2018, 14:47

Even if the security is based on futures, they do not necessarily have an expiration date (which is in fact part of the reason for getting these securities instead of the futures themselves). The bank does all the work for you and your contract is just perpetual. Now, the Bitmex contracts are not based on futures. They are simply based on the market price of GDAX and Bitstamp.
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

22 May 2018, 21:35

Why did I only go x3? :(
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

23 May 2018, 03:52

if you think like that you will find yourself living in a cardboard box very quickly.
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02

23 May 2018, 15:51

I would be living in a mansion right now if I had thought like that.
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

23 May 2018, 16:10

Gendarme wrote:I would be living in a mansion right now if I had thought like that.

before it happens, perhaps. Then it's vision. not after. and you thought it after it happened. That's greed.

Forum Info

Return to “Real-life Discussion”