A Low-cost gamer computer

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

A Low-cost gamer computer

Post by Rikikipu »

Hello everyone ! Today I've just built my new computer, and I thought it would have been interesting to share with you what I researched to obtain it, if someone is interested to have a new PC.

The goal : Having a good and fast desktop comp for common tasks and which also has the ability to run current computer games at not too high settings. One last constraint is that I want this comp to be easily movable (tiny size and low weight) because I use to travel. ON the last note, I bought everything on the same french website, but pretty sure you can find the same prices in websites from your respective country.

So here we go :
Procesor : 154.90 € - AMD Ryzen 1500X : Because it's fast, new and powerful and because it's cheap as fuck (the fan is even included for this price)
Motherboard : 59.90 € - Asus PRIME A320M-K : It supports Ryzen CPU and it's tiny and cheap but still a good motherboard.
GPU : 114.90 € - KFA2 GeForce GTX 1050 OC, 2 Gb : I dislike NVIDIA but this overclocked GPU will handle most games at decent graphics settings for less than 200€.
Power Supply : 42.90 € - EVGA 450 BT, 450W : 450W is enough because the GTX 1050 is so effecive energitically speaking, and this PSU is bronze with good connectic.
RAM : 164.85 € - DDR4 Kingston ValueRAM, 2 x 8 Gb, 2133 MHz Note that 8 Gb uses to be enough though.
SSD : 97.90 € -Crucial MX300, 275 Go, M.2 : It's a PCIE SSD so it's even faster than normal SSD. I have a lot of HDD or USB stick at home if I need more space, so I didn't really need that much memory in the comp. I also think people most of the time never have 500 Gb of files in their PC.
Box : 29.90 € - Aerocool Qs-183 Advance : tiny, cheap and weigh 2,7 kg only, what else ?

Total : 665,25 €
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Re: A Low-cost gamer config

Post by bigsmoke »

I wouldn't go for a low-cost EVGA power supply, they tend to not generally be that great. When you are looking for a decent power-supply, which you should never skimp on, refer to this list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/63 ... t-updated/

I'd also have gone for a 1500 instead of the 1500x because you won't any overclocking out of a A320 chipset. B350 boards are usually more common though so it's not really a hassle to swap one out for cheap.

PCI-e (Called NVM-e for SSDs) is the connection (with M.2. as the interface). As in this table here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx300 you are still using the same 3D-NAND flash chips to get the same speed as using SATA. You should never get a budget SSD as its often not worth the value.

Its still going to be a great new system and I hope you enjoy it :)
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: A Low-cost gamer computer

Post by Gendarme »

Yeah a bad PSU can damage your computer.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

alienware
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

kami_ryu wrote:@bigsmoke are you actually telling people not to skimp on the PSU?

kiss me like you kissed your first girl

People tend to forget I'm a writer for many tech forums lol. If I wasn't studying at the moment I would have accepted the position at LinusTechTips.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

bigsmoke wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:@bigsmoke are you actually telling people not to skimp on the PSU?

People tend to forget I'm a writer for many tech forums lol. If I wasn't studying at the moment I would have accepted the position at LinusTechTips.

I didn't forget, I just never knew
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
bigsmoke wrote:

I didn't forget, I just never knew

Thats a bit of a theme with you isn't it?
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Hm?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

should have gotten one of the new ryzen apus
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

@kami_ryu might have been when you were away I joined, fair enough tho it was a while back.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Netherlands Bachscharfschütze
Skirmisher
ESO: michel103

Post by Bachscharfschütze »

Why would you take a Ryzen 1500X and combine it with a GeForce GTX 1050 MingLee
''brits c'est vraiment une civ de fdp''
- Kaiserklein, 2018
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

bigsmok, e?
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Skirmisher

kami_ryu wrote:
Bachscharfschütze wrote:Why would you take a Ryzen 1500X and combine it with a GeForce GTX 1050 MingLee

I'm kind of out of the loop with the hardware industry but I don't see why that would be a problem? Budget allocation looks fine

- Kaiserklein, 2018
Zimbabwe PeachTree
Skirmisher

Post by PeachTree »

My computer I built as well:
Amd threadripper 1950x + msi x399 ($849 combo, when it went on on sale)
Cooler: free Corsair(asetek) cooler with CPU combo

32 gb ddr4 3200 MHz (bought before ram prices inflated, at 230$)
XFX R9 Fury x 4gb hbm ($229.99 from eBay - repaired the cooler)
Superflower 2000W 80 plus power supply (got it on sale at 290$ on b&h)
2x Western digital 4tb black hard drives in raid 1 from eBay ($150)
No ssds cuz I ran outta budget.
For case, I turned my desk into a case for basically free (I had good desk/tools)
Total: $1750 plus tax... Only upgrade I need is a case. As for monitor, I'm using a projector and sometimes my laptop screen.

Edit: no, I did not go for rx Vega cuz it's 5x the price for like 20% more perf.

Also, this isn't very low cost but considering the parts in today's prices, it would be close to 3k for similar components.... Got a crazy deal with CPU and Mobo combo, and xfx card is as good as vega 56/GeForce 1070.

The key is that I got the graphics card used, and I bought ram and held on to it.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Skirmisher

kami_ryu wrote:
Bachscharfschütze wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yeah but you don't necessarily care about that.

There are more tasks for computers than just gaming. If I'm going for a desktop, then I'd like to see at least a quad-core. Especially if you doing crap like compiling or video processing, etc. €150 isn't breaking the bank, even an i5 without overclocking capabilities is more than that. an R9 fury is ridiculous GPU horsepower. I'm still using an HD7970 and it's more than enough for 1080p gaming even with modern titles (I guess you can't max settings, but can still use high settings). :P

well true, but currently the limit will be set by your gpu, and a 1050 is already behind on today's new titles. I guess it's fine if you want to play older games but at some point in the future you will haev to upgrade that 1050 in order to keep playing
- Kaiserklein, 2018
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

my pc is better
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Re: A Low-cost gamer config

Post by Rikikipu »

bigsmoke wrote:I wouldn't go for a low-cost EVGA power supply, they tend to not generally be that great. When you are looking for a decent power-supply, which you should never skimp on, refer to this list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/63 ... t-updated/

I'd also have gone for a 1500 instead of the 1500x because you won't any overclocking out of a A320 chipset. B350 boards are usually more common though so it's not really a hassle to swap one out for cheap.

PCI-e (Called NVM-e for SSDs) is the connection (with M.2. as the interface). As in this table here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx300 you are still using the same 3D-NAND flash chips to get the same speed as using SATA. You should never get a budget SSD as its often not worth the value.

Its still going to be a great new system and I hope you enjoy it :)

I don't know much about PSU, this one had great feedbacks from users, so I bought it. But I don't know if it will be ok in the long term run. THanks for the link btw. About the CPU, Ryzen 1500 does not exist, only 1500X.
Note that the PCIE SSD is a good SSD, and not a budget one in terms of performance. I bought it because it was recomanded by a great (french) website for middle-class comp : https://www.config-gamer.fr/guide-achat ... t-ssd.html

@Bachscharfschütze it's true that the gtx 1050 is a bottleneck for gaming, but as kami said, the good cpu is more for really good multi tasking than something else. I plan anyway for hardcore gaming to use Parsec since I have Linux anyway on this comp.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

If you want to stream/record while playing i guess it's fine to have a slightly better CPU in comparison to the GPU. Btw GTX 1050 will handle most games if you are willing to make some compromise with the graphic settings. The RAM might be a bit overkill though, since it's quite costly right now due to bitcoin mining i think, so you could have saved some money if you waited a bit. Overall though it's not an expensive PC, so i guess it's fine. I think i'd go for a similar setup if i had to buy a new PC. I mainly just play AoE so i wouldn't even really need a good GPU. Dunno about you though.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

decent build, but I am surprised by your mobo choice. I would have rather preferred B350 chipset mobo as they can overclock ryzen cpu with ease & ryzen has quite decent overclocking capability (upto ~3.9 GHz consistently) without even tweaking voltage. Also, would have preferred 1050 Ti as it has decent improvement in freq and CUDA cores and seems more value for money. Also, 16 gb ram is an overkill like you stated, but its ok if it can fit in your budget. Anyways wonderful pc build at that price :flowers: