Mid term election in USA could have big importance to us all

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Mid term election in USA could have big importance to us all

Post by momuuu »

yurashic wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Not really. The United States is a modernized third world country with little to no significance in the current day and age. No one in Europe cares about Americans and their backward society.

Look around yourself. How many things that you see were invented/created in the USA?

Actually I think my living room has about an equal spread between where things were created. Actually, I think I have very few American products here. Furniture is mostly ikea. In terms of technology I have a Chinese phone, a south korean screen, a japanese screen, a japanese controller, a german computer, a german keyboard, a singaporian/american mouse. A Dutch TV screen, a dutch alarm clock, a german headset, a japanese gaming console. I'd say we're being ruled by asia if anything lol.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

Snuden wrote:And how the hell do you know what we know, or don't know?
I am not looking to get in to a debate here, but it is a well known fact that education is one of the areas, where the US is not considered "first world"

LOL have you even experienced the US education system?

Do you even know what a 1st world education looks like?...cmon man seriously, this statement is a joke :sad: :sad: :sad:
c0ns!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It's bottom tier first world.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

momuuu wrote:
yurashic wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Not really. The United States is a modernized third world country with little to no significance in the current day and age. No one in Europe cares about Americans and their backward society.

Look around yourself. How many things that you see were invented/created in the USA?

Actually I think my living room has about an equal spread between where things were created. Actually, I think I have very few American products here. Furniture is mostly ikea. In terms of technology I have a Chinese phone, a south korean screen, a japanese screen, a japanese controller, a german computer, a german keyboard, a singaporian/american mouse. A Dutch TV screen, a dutch alarm clock, a german headset, a japanese gaming console. I'd say we're being ruled by asia if anything lol.

A lot of these products are based on American products. We are currently talking their language (English) through their communication system (internet) on machines that were invented by them (computers) with their operation systems (Windows and other). We listen to their music (rock'n'roll, jazz, blues, rap etc, this all came from the US!), we watch their movies.

All the developed countries are between the North and the South. Southern countries have good climate so they don't have to develop. Northern countries have bad climate so they can't develop. Europe historically has always been a small piece of land with few natural resources and a lot of population fighting for them and developing in process. Same people created USA, but they formed a big state rather than many small ones. This is why it is now the most dominant power in the world.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Really the reason why the US is like it is today is that we basically got lucky and this continent is a gold mine. It's huge, has just about every natural resource available, and almost every crop can be cultivated with ease. Less relevant today but its shaped our history.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

The US has its problems, yes. But to rag on it and say it is inferior is quite absurd. Inner cities are very bad, so bad that inner city Detroit is no better than the current situation in Syria.

I love Europe, The Netherlands or Germany are my hopeful future homes. But Europe is completely different than the US. You are comparing Sweden to the US. Sweden has a smaller population than my own State (Michigan). That is laughable... :biggrin: And I wont even mention the difference in contemporary demographics or culture
The country is tiny and has much simpler dynamics, simply put.

I firmly believe it is like comparing oranges to apples

You can learn from each other but what works somewhere wont necessarily work elsewhere
c0ns!
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

vardar wrote:
I am not looking to get in to a debate here, but it is a well known fact that education is one of the areas, where the US is not considered "first world"

Do you even know what a 1st world education looks like?...cmon man seriously, this statement is a joke :sad: :sad: :sad:

Your reply is a perfect example, thank you.

Had you learned to read, you would have understood that I very clearly said "IT IS NOT MY OPINION!" but rather something I have read in multiple reports. Once again, thank you.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@vardar the US highschool education system is definitely inferior to their European counterparts. However we have many more colleges that are just as good as the Europeans, so as long as you pursue secondary education its okayish.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

Snuden wrote:
vardar wrote:

Had you learned to read, you would have understood that I very clearly said "IT IS NOT MY OPINION!" but rather something I have read in multiple reports. Once again, thank you.

You said it is a "well known fact"...................................................................."fact"

"Fact"

"Fact"

"is a well known fact"

Not sure this is a fact. The US education system is not 1st world...right.

Even if it is not your opinion, whoevers this is, is quite wrong my dude
c0ns!
Lancer

Post by vardar »

gibson wrote:@vardar the US highschool education system is definitely inferior to their European counterparts. However we have many more colleges that are just as good as the Europeans, so as long as you pursue secondary education its okayish.

I would agree, our grade school is inferior but definitely not 2nd or 3rd world.

I mean, some schools are like inner city or deep south. But that is rooted in other issues and not solely on the education system
c0ns!
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

vardar wrote:
Snuden wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You said it is a "well known fact"...................................................................."fact"

"Fact"

"Fact"

"is a well known fact"

Duuude... never mind. Thanks for proving my point, now run along and get a secondary education.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Lancer

Post by vardar »

Snuden wrote:
vardar wrote:
Show hidden quotes

"Fact"

"Fact"

"is a well known fact"

Duuude... never mind. Thanks for proving my point, now run along and get a secondary education.

I am, no worries about that. The US high school system treated me well and I am pursuing my degree in nutrition from a great school ^_^
c0ns!
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

How much does it cost for the foreigners to study in the U.S ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

sirmusket wrote:
Snuden wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I absolutely agree that America produce some damn fine students/professionals, that is without a doubt. Unfortunately very few Americans can attend such schools.

IIRC the US ranked lower than some countries you typically think of as "second world" or "developing" countries.

This is not my personal opinion, I just reference, the numerous articles I have read on the subject. In my personal opinion, a country that elect Donald Trump as their president, have issues that goes beyond the education system.

You do realise, Trump was the better choice.., he might make some absurd comments from time to time, at least he isn't a fucking criminal, and the wife of a rapist. Also since when does America have a top 10 education system. Can I have some data or something, maybe I'm wrong. I mean almost all the Scandinavian countries alone have a better education system than America..

Holy shit you actually just saw "top 10" in my post and assumed I said America's education system is top 10. Actually read the damn sentence.

I see you took a lot of that Russian propaganda to heart. Try to think more critically, 'pede!
Lancer

Post by vardar »

Googol wrote:How much does it cost for the foreigners to study in the U.S ?

Depends on what school ofc. If it's private or state and what their financial aid policies are. Could be anywhere from nothing all the way up to 70k a year (yes, there are some private uni's here that are expensive as shit)
c0ns!
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

vardar wrote:
Googol wrote:How much does it cost for the foreigners to study in the U.S ?

Depends on what school ofc. If it's private or state and what their financial aid policies are. Could be anywhere from nothing all the way up to 70k a year (yes, there are some private uni's here that are expensive as shit)

I guess I need an high school doesn’t matter if private or not. Focused on trade and economics (that’s what I do study in here)
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

I don't think the education system matters too much. If you really want to learn something you can do it yourself easily nowadays, there are just so many different sources.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

The purpose of the US education system is to preserve our pseudo class system. Our education system repeats subjects and teaches in ways that are uninspiring, not interesting, and sometimes flat out wrong. Mostly to waste our time, make us interested in relevant/useful knowledge, and hinder our social mobility. Most noticeably, financial management, entrepreneurship, and business classes are not offered as to keep these ideas away from the general public. The end result is typically a graduate(or dropout) who is uninterested in bettering themselves and unaware of the way their country works. Because of this, politicians and corporate owners have an easier time manipulating the country through the media.
Needless to say, the US education system is maintained at a low standard of quality on purpose.
De Funk
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:Really the reason why the US is like it is today is that we basically got lucky and this continent is a gold mine. It's huge, has just about every natural resource available, and almost every crop can be cultivated with ease. Less relevant today but its shaped our history.

Ye good point

And it's still relevant today as its why us is the biggest food exporter.

You forget to mention it's relative isolation, at least back then. Both internationally (policy of isolationism) as domestic (outlaws)
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I've been keeping track of this for awhile. It's nice to see that there are other people interested in the mid-terms. Here are my thoughts.

The House of Representatives is honestly hard to call, because every single seat is up for election. Republicans have had a substantial spike in approval ratings during Trump's presidency, but the democrats seem more motivated, and the minority party tends to pick up seats during mid-terms. It's not something that I, or anyone else, can really call; especially because so much can happen between the present and eight months from now. My guess is that the democrats pick up some seats, but not enough to retake the House.

On the other hand I think Republicans will gain seats in the Senate. Here's my reasoning. This is map of every Senate seat available this year.

[spoiler=spoiler]Red is republican; Blue is democrat; brown means that the race is very competitive.[/spoiler]

The first thing to note is the distribution of seats up for election by party. Democrats will be defending 26 seats, republicans: 9. But looking at the states themselves; the 11 brown ones are in play. 9 democrat, 2 republican. There's a chance that Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maine, or New Mexico flip, but it will presumably stay blue. Within the brown states, however, four of them are heavily republican: West Virginia, Missouri, North Dakota, and Montana. Then you have Nevada and Arizona which are seats which republicans previously controlled. Trump also won many of these states that democrats are defending, he won: Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin, Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, and Montana.

Vice-President Pence would be able to break any tie in the Senate, so the democrats would need to win 51 seats in order to take the upper chamber of congress. To do this, they would have to hold all 9 seats in very competitive elections, and not let a "safe" state slip through their fingers. Then they would have to flip two republican seats blue. Most likely in Nevada and Arizona, but who knows; they might get a miracle win in a solid red state like Mississippi. My guess is that republicans will have 54 seats, but as I said earlier: it's too early, and too volatile, to make any predictions. Politicians of all parties and walks of life have a really incredible ability to shoot themselves in the foot.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

Hidddy_ wrote:The purpose of the US education system is to preserve our pseudo class system. Our education system repeats subjects and teaches in ways that are uninspiring, not interesting, and sometimes flat out wrong. Mostly to waste our time, make us interested in relevant/useful knowledge, and hinder our social mobility. Most noticeably, financial management, entrepreneurship, and business classes are not offered as to keep these ideas away from the general public. The end result is typically a graduate(or dropout) who is uninterested in bettering themselves and unaware of the way their country works. Because of this, politicians and corporate owners have an easier time manipulating the country through the media.
Needless to say, the US education system is maintained at a low standard of quality on purpose.

I really do not think this is true, the system is not maintained at a low standard of quality on purpose. I'm not sure if you are from the US or not, or are familiar with the grade school system here but it is far from low standards. Yes, regionalism plays a big role in the US just because of it's sheer size and diversity. So there are extremes of poor and wealth but overall, there is no purposeful maintaining of low standards.

Just travel the US and it is quite easy to see imo

I think people just only hear about the inner city schools (that really are low standards), and forget that there are thousands of other schools that do a wonderful job in preparing young adults for the future.

I come from a relatively poor area and the high school there is nothing spectacular but it has more than enough resources

It's honestly just what you make of it. Like @yurashic mentioned earlier, there are more than enough resources available in modern times.
c0ns!
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Hey @Amsel_ Glad to finally get a post that actually are on the topic ;)
I am very interested in the mid term election, and maybe you will provide me with some more info, when it occurs from here on to november.
You say some things that I find odd though:
Republicans have had a substantial spike in approval ratings during Trump's presidency
. As far as I can jugde, his approval rate is 40%, and disapproval rate is 53%. It is the highest approval ratings since taking office, and I guess the jobs that are created in USA last month, gave him this boost. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/
As far as I can jugde, his approval ratings are pretty bad, compared to just about any former president you had.

Trump also won many of these states that democrats are defending, he won: Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin, Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, and Montana.
I wonder who will be running from the Dems in this states. If the establishment Dems. do, I fear they will have problem gaining them back. If more progressive candidates who support a public healtcare, I would think Dems got a pretty good chance of bringing the victory home.

About the details in every State, I hope to gain some knowlegde about them, step by step.
I hope your predictions about Republicans gaining seats, will be rendered false though.
I mean, if Democrats cannot pull this one off, with your current administration, I will be super surprised, and disapointed tbo.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

@spanky4ever It's important to remember that Trump isn't running for election in 2018, congressmen are. The dem vs rep polling for congress is much closer at 47% and 45% respectively. https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... US_013118/

Also I'm not so sure a socialist candidate would do well outside of democrat strongholds, or maybe the rust-belt. Candidates that lean too far to the left or right tend to scare off a lot of moderates to the other candidate. A better strategy for them might be to run fairly noncontroversial candidates, and then use all the money and name recognition they have. This race is pretty important for both sides. Trump controls both branches of congress, yet gets undercut by a handful of senators whenever trying to pass legislation. On the other hand, democrats would look like a complete joke of a party if they didn't do at least okay in this election.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@Amsel_ the link you posted, show pretty much the same as I said in my previous post. It also reveal that Americans are very disapointed in the job that U.S. Congress is doing. I was pretty surprised to see that 68% disaprove, and only 21% approve!!! Those numbers constitute a serious dissatisfaction of the status quo, and I am very interested to see how it will affect the mid term election.

Now to your other point;
Also I'm not so sure a socialist candidate would do well outside of democrat strongholds, or maybe the rust-belt. Candidates that lean too far to the left or right tend to scare off a lot of moderates to the other candidate.

The "socialist" Bernie Sanders are the most popular politician in USA, By far. Btw, he is a democratic sosialist, and have some of the ideas that modern EU countries are based up on - espesially the Nordic model.
The name "sosialist" doesnt seem all that scary anymore, cos he pretty much broke the tabu in his presidental run ;)

A better strategy for them might be to run fairly noncontroversial candidates, and then use all the money and name recognition they have.

Now where did I hear that tune before? Ah now I remember; it was the Hillary Clinton campaign, with all the name recognition in the world, and all the money to, but lacking a political message that could inspire ppl enought so they would go out and vote for her. This is also the same tune that DCCC are trying to play for this mid term election - trying to squeese progressive Bernecrats out of the race, with different kind of tricks and shenanigans.

On the other hand, democrats would look like a complete joke of a party if they didn't do at least okay in this election.

Yeah, your right. And they could actually lose again, when/if they use that same old strategy that has proven catastofic to the party. The days where you can run on platitutes like "we rule with our values" - "I am with her" etc etc - are gone. They will be a laughing stock if they try to pull this one AGAIN, and lose.
For decades now, they have tryed to appeal to the middle, or the moderat conservatives, and taken their base for granted. Result; the base is gone, and a republican will rather vote for a real republican candidate, and not a Republican "light".

Just a repetition of my example above; 80% of democratic voters want public healt care. How come that so many Democrats elected, are reluctant to support them/it?
When there are practically zero correlation between the wish of the base, and the politics that are practised - you can no longer expect "the base" to go out and vote for you, and you cannot even call yourself a democracy imo.

just to explain my point of view, I will post this one
phpBB [video]
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Zimbabwe PeachTree
Skirmisher

Post by PeachTree »

It's not very ez to be excited for politicians in midterm elections. We used to have a really old dude in out district, and he won unanimously due yo name recognition alone.