Mid term election in USA could have big importance to us all

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Re: Mid term election in USA could have big importance to us all

Post by n0el »

iwillspankyou wrote:
n0el wrote:Tucker is like a D list actor playing a role for the Fox News audience

in the video, I think Tucker made a pretty good diagnoses about the politcal landscape; that the Democrats left their base ( the blue collars and the middle class) - and that they moved to take the Republican base. Leaving the working class and the middle class without a party. It turned out to be a disaster for the Democrats. AND most importaint, the balance has been turned off, to ONLY work for the white collars, the donors and the BIG BUCKS.
While Nancy Polocy and Shumer are in power, I can not see that change any time soon. That is sad, cos these 2 persons are really dragging the Dems down, and the REAL base will not support them any day soon.
What the Dems should do, is to get together on some "progressive" bullet points - like a public option for health care, more affordable high education, affordable housing etc. Then, and only then, will the Democrats rice to what they should be; - a party for most US citizens :ugeek:

One more point, get out of wars all over the world. and skip 600 of your 800 foreign military bases. Will save the US tax payers a lot, making the public option for healtcare super cheep at comparison :coin:

Well I don't particular think that is true. That is the right wing narrative that somehow they are the party of the working class when it couldn't be further from the truth.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

the truth is that the Dems left the working class, trying to get the middle class and the white collars to vote for them, while leaving the working class behind. And- boy did they got left behind since the Clintons took office.
@n0el sad facts. I think this is something that the "Tucker" is talking about. I have to say - he is spot on (sadly)
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

anyways, best of luck today ;)
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@gibson go vote
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Post by n0el »

if @gibson doesn't vote tomorrow we should remove his stream from the sidebar
mad cuz bad
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Should highlight it and host his stream after every ESOCTV session if he votes red.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@gibson you forgot one important part of the conclusion we drew in the "voting doesn't matter" discussion. You're supposed to pretend that you do vote, or you might influence others into not voting.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

#AvalonTactics
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Gendarme wrote:#AvalonTactics

what does that mean :?:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Republicans will get both the senate and the house. Brace yourselves for impact, plebs.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

They already have both, last I checked.
If they win here, it's because of widespread voter suppression and gerrymandering. There's no way the majority of the country supports them currently. Rooting for them is rooting against democracy.
But who cares how they win, right, as long as it's your side winning?
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Gendarme wrote:Republicans will get both the senate and the house. Brace yourselves for impact, plebs.

Considering how much criticism Trump gets from all around I doubt that. If the republicans truly do win both senate and house, the media have massively exaggerated how unpopular Trump is. An alternative explanation would be that Trump supporters go to vote to a much larger degree than his opponents, in which case the democrats and Trump haters can only blame themselves.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

Goodspeed wrote:If they win here, it's because of widespread voter suppression and gerrymandering.

In what form would there be voter suppresion?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You mean just like how they exaggerated Hillary's landslide win? That's mostly what I'm counting on.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Goodspeed wrote:There's no way the majority of the country supports them currently. Rooting for them is rooting against democracy.
Those echo chambers you were speaking of...
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

Yep, that's what I mean. Although if the republicans win both this time, I'd say the media would have to have been exaggerating even more than when they exaggerated Hillary's win.
This time there should not be many that doesn’t participate in the election for reasons such as that they think their side is already secured to win.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Im reading in the Guardian right now; Tennessee early voting turnout jumps seven times 2014 total. Guess @gibson voted afterall @n0el :P

Young voters increase dramatically in Tennessee
Turnout by young voters in Tennessee surged dramatically, the Tennessean reported.

In early voting, 98,000 people ages 18 to 29 cast ballots – seven times the 12,800 who voted in 2014, according to data from the group TargetSmart.

Tennessee is where pop star Taylor Swift made a plea for fans to vote, endorsing Democrat Phil Bredesen in a hotly contested Senate race against Republican Marsha Blackburn.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:There's no way the majority of the country supports them currently. Rooting for them is rooting against democracy.
Those echo chambers you were speaking of...
? No need for echo chambers. Pretty much every news outlet and poll agrees democrats are going to win ground. Winning a majority in the house is another story, but even that seems likely.
I guess we'll see. Let's just say I'll be surprised if republicans win the popular vote.
And it's okay if you want to root against democracy. Some things are more important, right? Like free speech. It's for the greater good. Tell yourself this.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

martinspjuth wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:If they win here, it's because of widespread voter suppression and gerrymandering.
Some possibilities:
- Not enough polling stations leading to huge lines.
- Non-working voting machines.
- A ridiculous system for voter registration (countries who have their shit together don't require people to register to vote).
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

martinspjuth wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-03/ ... e/10461588
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymand ... ted_States
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/us/p ... abama.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-democrat

after reading these links, you will be much more educated on the subject :ohmy:

In fact, I heard on the news today, that Democrats prolly have to win the popular votes with at least 55% to have any chance for a majority of seats.
Will also remind you of the fact that Clinton won the popular vote with 3 million ppl in the last election.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Goodspeed wrote:They already have both, last I checked.
If they win here, it's because of widespread voter suppression and gerrymandering. There's no way the majority of the country supports them currently. Rooting for them is rooting against democracy.
But who cares how they win, right, as long as it's your side winning?

No they will win states like Tennessee because of the simple fact that a majority of Tennessee supports Trump. You're ignoring the problem (lack of education) in favor of the "voter suppression" boogieman. There is no way that someone like Phil Bredeson, who has a history in successful Tennessee politics, should lose this election. However, lack of education and fear mongering is causing many people to vote for Blackburn instead.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

Goodspeed wrote:
martinspjuth wrote:
Some possibilities:
- Not enough polling stations leading to huge lines.
- Non-working voting machines.
- A ridiculous system for voter registration (countries who have their shit together don't require people to register to vote).

Sure, those are problems, but I don’t see why they would affect democrats more than republicans.
Edit: after reading the links iwillspankyou posted I guess you would argue that some of those are engineered by the government to mostly affect people who are assumed to vote for the democrats.

iwillspankyou wrote:
martinspjuth wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-03/ ... e/10461588
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymand ... ted_States
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/us/p ... abama.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-democrat

after reading these links, you will be much more educated on the subject :ohmy:

In fact, I heard on the news today, that Democrats prolly have to win the popular votes with at least 55% to have any chance for a majority of seats.
Will also remind you of the fact that Clinton won the popular vote with 3 million ppl in the last election.

Thanks! They were very informative links.
I knew about the popular and electoral votes and that Clinton won the popular vote by a large margin. These things do not prove anything about voter suppression though. All they do is point towards a serious fault in how US elections work.
Gerrymandering on the other hand, I didn’t know that this could be used so extensively. Thanks for enlightening me. This is a problem. From what I read on your links the process of redistricting electoral boundaries takes place in each state about every ten years. Does all states do it at the same time? Can the republicans really have changed these so much in so many places during only two years for it to be a major problem?
Either way, I believe the democrats could have changed this during Obama’s term.

I do think it is right to ask for proper and secure ID’s.
That you don’t need a proof of citizenship to vote I find odd, even more so the implications of it being wrong to have those criteria.

The most severe problem I find in your links is that polling places have been closing in the dozens. That they also seem to be mainly closed in areas with mostly colored people for questionable reasons are truly disgusting.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@gibson Who is talking about Tennessee?
Do you think the majority of the country votes R today?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@martinspjuth
Can the republicans really have changed these so much in so many places during only two years for it to be a major problem?
Yes
Either way, I believe the democrats could have changed this during Obama’s term.
Rs had a majority in congress during most of Obama's term iirc
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

@Goodspeed
If they can change so much in only two years US political system is even worse than I thought. The possibility to manipulate things this way doesn't seem new though, it seems this have been done regularly during the whole US history. Have most/many other elections had the same problem or does Trump abuse the system to a much larger degree than what has ever been done before?