Mid term election in USA could have big importance to us all

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: Mid term election in USA could have big importance to us all

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:@spanky4ever yes they made some bad votes but I don't think that is why they lost. i can promise you that if Heitkamp, Mccaskil or Donneley was more liberal, they wouldn't have been the sitting senator.

just my thoughts ;) I hope the head reads the tale, soon ;) or in other words, I hope the Dems listen to their base, instead of the donators.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@spanky4ever Also if more progressive candidates would have won how do you explain Joe Manchin?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@spanky4ever Also if more progressive candidates would have won how do you explain Joe Manchin?

I explain him with the leadership in the repub...hrmm the Democratic party :P They are a shame to your country, and they dont represent most ppl. like they pretend they do. One example, 80% of Dem voters support single payer healtcare, but the leadership in your party does not. Neither do the majority in congress/senate. How would you explain this?
The Joe Manchin is just another Republican in Democrats clothes, and I would be glad if he where voted out of office, sooner than later :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iwillspankyou wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:@spanky4ever Also if more progressive candidates would have won how do you explain Joe Manchin?

I explain him with the leadership in the repub...hrmm the Democratic party :P They are a shame to your country, and they dont represent most ppl. like they pretend they do. One example, 80% of Dem voters support single payer healtcare, but the leadership in your party does not. Neither do the majority in congress/senate. How would you explain this?
The Joe Manchin is just another Republican in Democrats clothes, and I would be glad if he where voted out of office, sooner than later :hmm:

You would prefer a Republican be elected Senator in West Virginia?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:

You would prefer a Republican be elected Senator in West Virginia?

actually, yes. There is little difference between Manchin and a republican. I would prefer him to be voted out of office, one way or another, to give room for a person who actually do his job for the ppl who elect her/him :ugeek:
If you think he is a good fella, take a look at his voting records :!:
I will help you https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vot ... anchin-iii
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Nuance is for losers, I demand purity tests
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Won't it be so ironic when Europe invades America to stop the Nazis in 2043.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

What if the Chinese communists save capitism in 2060.
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

iwillspankyou wrote:

That’s probably true but the alternative is a Republican vote that doesn’t save the ACA and vote against tax cuts for the super
rich.
mad cuz bad
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

iwillspankyou wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:We gained seats in the House. And yes I can blame the voters, they made bad decisions! If you are upset that those Dems voted with Republicans "almost every time" (not true), you're gonna be really upset to find out that the Republicans replacing them will vote with Republicans literally every time.

well, they did, and that is a fact :!:
and that is why they lost.
I do not think its a bad thing to get the traitors out of office. Maybe next time Dems will run a real Person, who listen to the public, maybe a popular candidate :shock:

This comment gives me some headaches. Every single part of it.

To me, there cannot be such a thing as a "fact" in a counterfactual argument of "If they behaved differently, the outcome would have been better". We cannot observe this situation, since it never happened. Hence, there is no facts in here. Just speculation.

We also don't know if "that is why they lost". Maybe the Dems would have come out even worse.

The US has a problem with societal polarization. The view, that a politician who does not always vote with his own political group is a traitor, just enforces polarization. To me, the democratic ideal would be to vote on issues as you think about them. Conformism is something quite destructive in a two-party democracy, as we have seen in nearly the whole Obama era.

The wording "next time Dems will run a real Person" effectively dehumanizes the previous candidates, even if it is not meant that way. Further, expecting a real person, "who listens to the public", assumes a general understanding of what the "public" and its opinion are. This has a quite autocratic touch. A scent of "L'état, c'est moi" combined with the authoritarian classic of "I am the representation of the will of the people".

Finally, in politics you are always forced to choose between popular candidates/positions and authentic candidates/positions. Of course, one can have his own opinion of what is better. But I prefer candidates who make an authentic impression and do not just say/support what is beneficial for themselves. I always thought of John McCain as being such a person. Even though I did not share many of his views, he was a refreshing personality and someone who at least took other arguments into consideration.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Gendarme wrote:[spoiler=TL;DR of the American elections]Image[/spoiler]
Attachments
pundits.PNG
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I'm surprised the biennial voter fraud is getting so much attention this time around.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Fucking Florida
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@fightinfrenchman I have never been wrong, not even once.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:Republicans will get both the senate and the house. Brace yourselves for impact, plebs.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

2022 obviously
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Fair enough
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:

That’s probably true but the alternative is a Republican vote that doesn’t save the ACA and vote against tax cuts for the super
rich.

I guess even these ppl draw the line somewhere. I have heard this talking points over and over again though, that Democrats need to me more like the Republican, to win in specific states. I will mention the Texas race here, where Ted Cruz almost where defeated by Beto O'Rourke, a democrat far more left leaning than these Dems. I would think that if Dems ran a Cruz look-a-like, they would be a footnote in that election, as they have been for decades. https://www.texastribune.org/2018/11/09 ... -40-years/
I think Dems have to move many steps to the left, to be in the "center". They have just moved with the Republicans, far to the right.

I cross my fingers that Nancy Pelosi will be challenged - and another person, more to the center, will take her place. I will not hold my breath though ;)
Mind you, I would really like that there where a 3rd party in USA. I think Bernie Sanders could be a spearhead for that to be a thing in the 2020. Im not sure that the Democratic party can change, sadly :sad:
take a look at Chile, Mexico, Greece who won against greater odds, splitting the two party systems, AND WON with new progessive parties. Would think its do able in USA 2 ;)
There is also the populist right parties in Polen, Brazil, Italy who did the same thing.
The bottom line is that ppl are finished with the establishment. Gee, I wonder why :?:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 82906.html
https://news.gallup.com/poll/219953/per ... -high.aspx
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I don't disagree with you. I am just saying i would rather have Joe Manchin than Patrick Morrisey and I would rather have Claire Mccaskil than Josh Hawley.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:I don't disagree with you. I am just saying i would rather have Joe Manchin than Patrick Morrisey and I would rather have Claire Mccaskil than Josh Hawley.

So would prolly I 2, but its not enough. Meanwhile Trump is pushing for "clean coal", and the Dems are sitting like lame ducks. Its just so sad, and scary :!:

https://youtu.be/GwABqd6NkbU
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

They are lame ducks until January. :chinese:
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

If you are American donate to Mike Epsy https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... kiC9ekQ4So
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

looks like the election is not quite finished yet:
latest news are looking pretty good ;)

The midterm election news keeps getting better for Democrats.
Several too-close-to-call election contests have been resolved in Democrats’ favor, boosting the Democrats’ pickup in the House of Representatives to close to 40 new seats and giving hope in a couple of Senate races.
Fifteen-term California GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher lost to Democratic challenger Harley Rouda, who received 52 percent of the vote, the Associated Press reports.
Democrats, meanwhile, were leading in at least six other House races, NBC News reports:
“Regarding the Senate contests, Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., eked out a victory; Democrat Kyrsten Sinema is ahead of Republican Martha McSally by more than 30,000 votes in Arizona; and the Florida Senate race is headed to a manual recount, with Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., trailing Republican Rick Scott by just 12,000 votes. If you assume Sinema wins and Nelson loses, the GOP’s net Senate gain will be just two seats — when the 2018 map had 10 Democratic incumbents running for re-election in states President Donald Trump carried in 2016.”

and
Midterms: Highest Youth Voter Turnout Ever

Let’s hear it for the millennials.
Some 31 percent of 18-to-29-year-olds turned out to vote in last week’s midterm elections, according to a preliminary estimate by The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University.
It is the highest level recorded since Tufts researchers began tracking data in 1994, according to a report on The Conversation.
“Young people showed decisive support for liberal candidates and ideas. About 67 percent of young people supported Democratic House candidates, compared to just 32 percent for Republican candidates. This 35-point gap is even larger than their preference toward Democrats in 2008, when President Barack Obama was first elected.”
The turnout of young people accounts in part for the Blue Wave that swept Democrats into office, flipped the House of Representatives and led to Democratic victories in Wisconsin, Montana and Nevada.
“For example, Senator Jon Tester of Montana won his reelection by a narrow margin of less than 6,000 votes. Young Montanans, by favoring him by 67 percent to 28 percent, gave him a relative vote advantage of over 25,000 votes. If young Montanans voted like older Montanans did on Tuesday, Montana would have a Republican Senator today.”
The turnout also reverses a trend of young people sitting out elections. Young people went to the polls in part because they were more active politically, paid more attention to politics and were more cynical about older generations not paying attention to the needs of youth.

and as this was not enough; In Florida the Senator race is not over yet, and the counting mashines are running 24/7 to recound 8.2 million votes. A manual recount could follow, and who knows when this will be finished. Maybe Democrat Bill Nelson can still beat the republican Rick Scott? its a long shot though.

:ugeek:
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I have little faith in Florida for many reasons, but winning in Arizona was huge. It makes the 2020 Senate map very competitive.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:I have little faith in Florida for many reasons, but winning in Arizona was huge. It makes the 2020 Senate map very competitive.

If you get Pelosi, Schumer and Perez replaces with ppl who will work for public healthcare option, student debt solutions, and a working wage, Dems should do super good imo. Meanwhile Clinton are threatening to run in 2020! I would dare her, cos she will be surprised how unpopular she STILL is.

https://youtu.be/k36BhO-3HYA

Cortez are not waiting to raise her voice against the Dem leadership. What a brave young woman :love: