Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Lejend, you're delusional and should refrain from talking about facts.
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

thanks momuuu, indeed i was finding this tiring. this is one aspect i have seen, the removal of all considerations of a humans reactions time alone together with the removal of all traffic control measures. there is also the aspect that we only use our cars for a small % of the time, necessitated by the fact that the car must be there at the end of the day for us to drive back to where we came from. driverless cars remove the need for us to own vehicles and therefore allow the same vehicle (or pool of vehicles) to to work for many more people, this reduces the amount of cars that need be manufactured significantly. also i feel a lot of the prestige that people feel they achieve through their vehicles is a factor of the ownership of that vehicle and if the ownership is gone they may well be willing to accept something far more efficient and utilitarian. the problem im having is that im not really looking to educate anyone, its analogous to the 'give a man a fish and he will eat, give a man a net and he will learn to feed himself' thing. Why can people not think for themselves?
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

ihonestly, i just wandered why eso was down... and thought this debate might bear some interest. but its just a cutest puppy competition that was the intention. NO ONE is happy the woman died
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

the reason, by the way, that it relates to fracking is that they are both first and foremost environmental issue's and both have been entirely undermined by america's unwillingness to regulate the industries. to put a self drive car on the roads as is is almost certainly just stupid, this would not happen in europe. fracking is a significant improvement on oil as is easily demonstrable. but every country in europe is left asking whether its wise to implicate having seen the troubles in america and having been sold this image of america as somehow being a civilised place. they just dont pour the concrete correctly... its so simple, its so dumb
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Goodspeed wrote:
momuuu wrote:This to me is, combined with the fact that AI's easily surpass the human driving skill, the biggest advantage of selfdriving cars:

If you realize that all cars can be part of the same network that calculates the entire traffic system while the cars themselves also look out for errors, then a situation like this becomes a viable future. That would drastically improve the traffic situation in many cities.
Looks like your average crossroads in India

This implies that India already has an advanced traffic system in which humans can replicate the near perfect system of an AI :hehe:
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

humans and cows
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

tedere12 wrote:humans and cows

and snakes
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Autonomous doesn't imply remotely controllable. Blockchain technology is basically decentralized tamper-proof communication, which could be very useful here.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Sure, but the thing is that if it is open, decentralized, and tamper-proof, you would know it. In any other case just assume the worst and you shall be fine.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Gendarme wrote:That would also be viable today without self-driving cars if only women didn't drive.
Men are actually more dangerous drivers. :flowers:
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Reckless driving is great. It shows how manly you are!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I don't ever see intersections and roadways becoming these hyper close, hyper efficient things -- the margin of error, environmental and technical, is too great for an accident. While it could surely be done, I don't see it being condoned by humans and probability.

Decongesting lies in consolidated public transport.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
momuuu wrote:This to me is, combined with the fact that AI's easily surpass the human driving skill, the biggest advantage of selfdriving cars:

(image)

If you realize that all cars can be part of the same network that calculates the entire traffic system while the cars themselves also look out for errors, then a situation like this becomes a viable future. That would drastically improve the traffic situation in many cities.
Looks like your average crossroads in India

This implies that India already has an advanced traffic system in which humans can replicate the near perfect system of an AI :hehe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSkJCUDAes
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Nerf sepoys all you want.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

lejend wrote:The government could still pass laws mandating all the things I mentioned, though.

Whatever keeps the governments from passong a law requesting a GPS in everysingle car in the market will probably keep them from passing a law for tracking self piloted cars

Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Self-Walking Pedestrian Dents Car

Damn I can't wait until the government forces us to use autonomous Segways to get around so I can keep my paint job nice.
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Post by bigsmoke »

Looks like the footage is out. Maybe get some decent drivers to test the cars instead of someone looking at their phone.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Someone did some math on reddit, allegedly the figure comes into view before stopping distance.

Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. I don't really want to watch the video. The lens can misconstrue as well.
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

deleted_user wrote:Someone did some math on reddit, allegedly the figure comes into view before stopping distance.

Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. I don't really want to watch the video. The lens can misconstrue as well.

Solid facts are she was the safety driver and the car ran over someone. Those aren't disputable.

You are right though we can't see the full picture, but I think the test driver could have been more attentive. She has been hired for a reason and this certainly doesn't look good for her career.

Another good question is whether the cars internal system was tested appropriately before being on public roadways. Obviously a big no.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

bigsmoke wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Someone did some math on reddit, allegedly the figure comes into view before stopping distance.

Solid facts are she was the safety driver and the car ran over someone. Those aren't disputable.

You are right though we can't see the full picture, but I think the test driver could have been more attentive. She has been hired for a reason and this certainly doesn't look good for her career.

Another good question is whether the cars internal system was tested appropriately before being on public roadways. Obviously a big no.

You draw conclusions you can not draw..
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

momuuu wrote:
bigsmoke wrote:

You draw conclusions you can not draw..

how so
~~ pecelot rip ~~