The great sunscreen debate

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Which is the better sun screen?

Spray on, easier to put on
30%
Lotion, more effective
13%
The attributes you've applied to each are based on random assumptions rather than empirical evidence
17%
Mud is an effective way of blocking the sun
10%
Getting skin cancer is preferable to having greasy skin for a little bit
30%

Total votes: 30

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: The great sunscreen debate

Post by Goodspeed »

Netherlands Bachscharfschütze
Skirmisher
ESO: michel103

Post by Bachscharfschütze »

i believe the human body is quite capable of protecting itself. Whenever it's spring and you are in the light sun, you develop a toleration against sunlight by the process of pigmentation in the skin. Once it is summer, this pigmentation has developed itself in such a state that you don't need to apply sunprotection if you are not fully in the sun for extended periods of time.
source: my hat
''brits c'est vraiment une civ de fdp''
- Kaiserklein, 2018
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Bachscharfschütze wrote:i believe the human body is quite capable of protecting itself. Whenever it's spring and you are in the light sun, you develop a toleration against sunlight by the process of pigmentation in the skin. Once it is summer, this pigmentation has developed itself in such a state that you don't need to apply sunprotection if you are not fully in the sun for extended periods of time.

Your hat has a lot of text on it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

When I arrived in Cyprus 2 years ago (white as The Baphomet) I stayed in the pool (in the sun) for 3-4 hours. This caused 100's of blisters on shoulders and neck, and to some degree also on my biceps.

Now 2 years later, what appeared to be permanent damage is now gone and I look as crispy as a local.

This is how men deal with the sun and I like to think that Ragnar Lothbrok would have done exactly the same.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Needless to say that bishes be lining up...
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Bachscharfschütze wrote:i believe the human body is quite capable of protecting itself. Whenever it's spring and you are in the light sun, you develop a toleration against sunlight by the process of pigmentation in the skin. Once it is summer, this pigmentation has developed itself in such a state that you don't need to apply sunprotection if you are not fully in the sun for extended periods of time.

That's what it used to be like, back when we weren't inside buildings as much. The thing about sunscreen is that applying sunscreen actaully prevents you from setting up your own protective pigmentation - the result being that you remain pale and will be susceptible to sunburn for the entire summer.

Although I have a mediterrenean skin and don't get sunburned easily, there's not enough sun in NL to train me for summer vacations. Instead of applying sunscreen right away when I go to the beach, I try to tan for 30 minutes - 1 hour and then apply the sunscreen after that. This makes sure I do actually get tanned slowly. Next day I'll take a bit longer to apply sunscreen, until eventually I won't need it anymore.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Snuden wrote:When I arrived in Cyprus 2 years ago (white as The Baphomet) I stayed in the pool (in the sun) for 3-4 hours. This caused 100's of blisters on shoulders and neck, and to some degree also on my biceps.

Now 2 years later, what appeared to be permanent damage is now gone and I look as crispy as a local.

This is how men deal with the sun and I like to think that Ragnar Lothbrok would have done exactly the same.
*This is how stupid people deal with the sun.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I've seen the sun turn my friends purple. I admit it made me laugh. It seemed very painful for them though.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

umeu wrote:I've seen the sun turn my friends purple. I admit it made me laugh. It seemed very painful for them though.

Strange
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

New zealand sun baby. No ozon layer blues
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

The bishes be lining up in recognition of short term loss for long term gain. Sunscreen is practically an aphrodisiac btw. For this reason alone lotion is superior to spray and should be the only screen kept by any bachelor.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:The bishes be lining up in recognition of short term loss for long term gain. Sunscreen is practically an aphrodisiac btw. For this reason alone lotion is superior to spray and should be the only screen kept by any bachelor.

You could say that the spray kind is the Bitcoin of the sunscreen world
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I agree. We should build a great sunscreen to ensure that all sunrays entering the atmosphere are properly screened to prevent dangerous UV rays from getting in. We don't need any more rays from the ultra-violent specturm, the ones that have gotten through already have done enough damage as it is.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Spray is fine if you're going out on the beach for 2 hours. If you're out in the sun all day then lotion is the way to go IMO. Lotion is also much more cost effective.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jam wrote:I agree. We should build a great sunscreen to ensure that all sunrays entering the atmosphere are properly screened to prevent dangerous UV rays from getting in. We don't need any more rays from the ultra-violent specturm, the ones that have gotten through already have done enough damage as it is.

I agree only if Mexico pays for the screen
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

kami_ryu wrote:don't fuck with the sun. it's the motherfucking sun lol

but I never put on sunscreen so who am I to talk?

Relevant. this is what happens after I work all day every day outside in CO in shorts:
[spoiler=lol]Image[/spoiler]

Did you bleach your feet?
[Sith] - Baphomet
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

for white people with clear skin, pretty sure there is no such thing as your skin getting used to prolonged sun exposure, its just not made for it. Brittany is the region with the highest number of skin cancer in France (3x national average) because mostly Celts live there and you don't really feel the sun since it's very windy. It seems like skin cancer rate in the french riviera is the same as the national average while it's sunnier than Brittany (almost twice as much in 2017), mostly because of the skin tone of the people who live there I'd guess.
I've had those episodes where after you get severely burned for a few weeks your skins gets used to it - worse was in Malta, Comino Island I got burned so bad I could barely sleep for the next few days, but I'll stick with the solar cream
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

benj89 wrote:for white people with clear skin, pretty sure there is no such thing as your skin getting used to prolonged sun exposure, its just not made for it. Brittany is the region with the highest number of skin cancer in France (3x national average) because mostly Celts live there and you don't really feel the sun since it's very windy. It seems like skin cancer rate in the french riviera is the same as the national average while it's sunnier than Brittany (almost twice as much in 2017), mostly because of the skin tone of the people who live there I'd guess.
I've had those episodes where after you get severely burned for a few weeks your skins gets used to it - worse was in Malta, Comino Island I got burned so bad I could barely sleep for the next few days, but I'll stick with the solar cream

Of course it depends on your skin type. Some people definitely can't tan at all but there are also many that never end up getting a tan due to sunscreen abuse. As I said, the trick is to first tan for a bit before applying sunscreen.

PS.: If you use that technique, be careful with going to swim afterwards. I usually roll like that, tan front and back for 20 minutesish and then go for a refreshing swim with the idea to put on sunscreen afterwards. The problem is that I might be in the water for another bit, with my shoulders above the water, and thus end up getting my shoulders sunburned.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

momuuu wrote:
benj89 wrote:for white people with clear skin, pretty sure there is no such thing as your skin getting used to prolonged sun exposure, its just not made for it. Brittany is the region with the highest number of skin cancer in France (3x national average) because mostly Celts live there and you don't really feel the sun since it's very windy. It seems like skin cancer rate in the french riviera is the same as the national average while it's sunnier than Brittany (almost twice as much in 2017), mostly because of the skin tone of the people who live there I'd guess.

Of course it depends on your skin type. Some people definitely can't tan at all but there are also many that never end up getting a tan due to sunscreen abuse. As I said, the trick is to first tan for a bit before applying sunscreen.

PS.: If you use that technique, be careful with going to swim afterwards. I usually roll like that, tan front and back for 20 minutesish and then go for a refreshing swim with the idea to put on sunscreen afterwards. The problem is that I might be in the water for another bit, with my shoulders above the water, and thus end up getting my shoulders sunburned.

I think most people can tan, I have a really white skin and I just need a longer and more controlled exposure to tan instead of burn. Or you can do the brutal approach which is getting severely sun burnt, then after a week or two you'll start to tan. I never cared about tan but from experience if you want to tan a bit you should use the sunscreen 30 instead of 50 and not put too much unlike how a surfer would do on his face. I just have to be extra careful with my body skin (shoulders, chest, legs) which is somehow much more sensible than my face which tans easily. As for your trick, why not, I just don't want to go through a process to have a slightly darker skin tone.
My point wasn't related to what you wrote, but what snuden said about white skins (especially if he's northern Europe, so similar skin than mine) getting used to long exposure to the sun, it'll probably be more used to getting cancer after a few years
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

I usually wear an aluminium hat to absorbe the sun's postive power to my body.
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

supernapoleon wrote:I usually wear an aluminium hat to absorbe the sun's postive power to my body.

Try elastic pants from CCL cruises
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I don’t recommend “training” the skin to get used the sun. People with dark skin still get melanoma and have quite a high death rate for the disease because they tend to not recognize the early signs and get diagnosed in later stages. So it’s pretty much just gamblin’ to not do anything about the sun when you’re out.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

u need it no matter the weather to stop aging your skin. Your left side of your face looks older because thats the window side when youre in a car.
I use SPF50 sunblock even in winter.