Dreams

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Dreams

Post by fightinfrenchman »

harcha wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Had two weird dreams last night. In the first my sister, who hasn't played the flute for like a decade, signed up to be part of some symphonic band at my old college. The pandemic was going on in my dream though so I thought it was a bad idea. I was trying to show her where the place was since she hadn't been there, and on the way I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a while walking their dog. Suddenly there were several dogs appearing out of nowhere, and there was one in a yard next to me, but I was in the middle of the city. I mentioned to the apparent owner of the house that it was unusual to see such a big yard in the middle of the city, and she kind of rolled her eyes and said it wasn't that nice, and pointed to a random gardening glove in the middle of the lawn. I'm not really sure what this was meant to convey. Anyway, once we got to the building where the band would rehearse my sister got upset because she thought it would be at the other campus location, and that this would not be okay in terms of social distancing. I didn't really understand that, either way you shouldn't be gathering to play in a band.
But who let the dogs out?
I don't know. One of them was on a leash and another was in the yard but there were at least 3 or 4 others that just came up to me seemingly out of nowhere.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Last night was weird. I was awake but lying in bed for maybe 15-20 minutes before going back to sleep. I felt that I was falling asleep, but I didn't want to fall asleep and told myself to wake up just as I felt myself drifting into the dreamworld. It seemed to work and sleep was avoided, but I had a lot of trouble moving. I was hugging a pillow in bed, now conscious, but only my right eye would open; only my right arm would move. The left eye was shut and the left arm still clung to the pillow, it resting firmly against my head. I stood up from the bed and noticed how everything felt perfectly life-like and real, not like a dream. Looking around the room I noticed that my television was gone and my bed was empty, even the blankets, sheets, and other bedding were gone. I was confused and wondered "What's going on? Is this a dream? It's certainly not real." Then I woke up in bed, and the clock showed that an hour or two had passed since those couple minutes where I was half-awake that this post started off mentioning.

I'm still confused about the falling asleep part. Was it real when I was falling asleep and tried to resist it, or did I try falling asleep while already in a dream?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Amsel_ wrote:I stood up from the bed and noticed how everything felt perfectly life-like and real, not like a dream.
It's funny how often we have this thought in dreams. Like in normal life you never think to yourself "wow this feels really realistic"
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Amsel_ wrote:Last night was weird. I was awake but lying in bed for maybe 15-20 minutes before going back to sleep. I felt that I was falling asleep, but I didn't want to fall asleep and told myself to wake up just as I felt myself drifting into the dreamworld. It seemed to work and sleep was avoided, but I had a lot of trouble moving. I was hugging a pillow in bed, now conscious, but only my right eye would open; only my right arm would move. The left eye was shut and the left arm still clung to the pillow, it resting firmly against my head. I stood up from the bed and noticed how everything felt perfectly life-like and real, not like a dream. Looking around the room I noticed that my television was gone and my bed was empty, even the blankets, sheets, and other bedding were gone. I was confused and wondered "What's going on? Is this a dream? It's certainly not real." Then I woke up in bed, and the clock showed that an hour or two had passed since those couple minutes where I was half-awake that this post started off mentioning.

I'm still confused about the falling asleep part. Was it real when I was falling asleep and tried to resist it, or did I try falling asleep while already in a dream?
Since I started lucid dreaming I've had a lot of false awakenings like this, sometimes multiple in a row. It's an weird experience, as you found out. In a recent one I thought I had just woken up from a very interesting dream that I wanted to tell xeelee about, and she happened to also be awake so I told her everything about it. Then I actually woke up later and realized I told that whole story to fake her and had to tell it all over again for real.

The part where you can't move is sleep paralysis, like incog said. You shouldn't try to move in that state. If you don't, and give into it, you might slip into a lucid dream.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

iNcog wrote:isn't that sleep paralysis?
You reminded me of something! When I was lying there, presumably asleep, I knew I was dealing with sleep paralysis. I remember looking around my room to check if there were any hallucinations. Or maybe it was after I stood up; that would explain why I was looking around and saw the missing television and the empty bed.
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:I stood up from the bed and noticed how everything felt perfectly life-like and real, not like a dream.
It's funny how often we have this thought in dreams. Like in normal life you never think to yourself "wow this feels really realistic"
There is a notable difference in how conscious you feel between dreams and being awake. It felt a lot more like I was awake. It's also possible that we retroactively inject the recognition that we're more conscious into our memory of the dream.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:Last night was weird. I was awake but lying in bed for maybe 15-20 minutes before going back to sleep. I felt that I was falling asleep, but I didn't want to fall asleep and told myself to wake up just as I felt myself drifting into the dreamworld. It seemed to work and sleep was avoided, but I had a lot of trouble moving. I was hugging a pillow in bed, now conscious, but only my right eye would open; only my right arm would move. The left eye was shut and the left arm still clung to the pillow, it resting firmly against my head. I stood up from the bed and noticed how everything felt perfectly life-like and real, not like a dream. Looking around the room I noticed that my television was gone and my bed was empty, even the blankets, sheets, and other bedding were gone. I was confused and wondered "What's going on? Is this a dream? It's certainly not real." Then I woke up in bed, and the clock showed that an hour or two had passed since those couple minutes where I was half-awake that this post started off mentioning.

Since I started lucid dreaming I've had a lot of false awakenings like this, sometimes multiple in a row. It's an weird experience, as you found out. In a recent one I thought I had just woken up from a very interesting dream that I wanted to tell xeelee about, and she happened to also be awake so I told her everything about it. Then I actually woke up later and realized I told that whole story to fake her and had to tell it all over again for real.

The part where you can't move is sleep paralysis, like incog said. You shouldn't try to move in that state. If you don't, and give into it, you might slip into a lucid dream.
I sometimes have quituple inception dreams. I keep dreaming that I wake up over and over again but I never actually wake up. Those are pretty rare, they usually seem to happen when I dont sleep at my place.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iNcog wrote:if I get sleep paralysis my reaction is to immediately try to wake the fuck up. at that point I understand that I'm dreaming and actively fight it. and then I make damn sure I won't fall asleep again. even if I have to function all day without good sleep. fuck. that. shit.
Im very grateful I learned about sleep paralysis before experiencing it. Shit must be so scary when you dont understand what is going on.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

sleep paralysis is sick

Shadow man is common, he often hovers over my own bed, although his form is much more fluid than in this video. He usually talks of my mother's death.

As a kid shadow man told me to step into hell, which I could see as a black abyss the diameter of a couple feet on the floor next to my bed, but of course I was just thinking I saw it in third person mode. Hell was very black and nothing else mattered, as if my mental field of view was turned up to 1000. Everything appeared in my head impossibly far away, physically and mentally.

It is not fun trying to wake up with your entire mental capacity seemingly working at 5th gear and being unable to.

When I wake up from sleep paralysis I am usually out of breath. I do not think I get it as bad as a lot of folks.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The scariness of sleep paralysis is all in your head. You're finding it scary because other people have hammered into you that it is. Really it's just your body being asleep and your mind still awake, and there's nothing scary about that. People get too hung up on the fact that they can't move and forget that it's actually an opportunity to have a lucid dream.

And yeah, if you look for a shadow man, you'll see him. It's the same as in any dream where if you think something is going to happen it often will.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Goodspeed wrote:The scariness of sleep paralysis is all in your head. You're finding it scary because other people have hammered into you that it is. Really it's just your body being asleep and your mind still awake, and there's nothing scary about that. People get too hung up on the fact that they can't move and forget that it's actually an opportunity to have a lucid dream.
Perhaps, but as a kid I didn't know what it was. Nothing was hammered into my head.

Maybe now, perhaps. But an intense hallucination is not exactly the most convenient headspace to remain cool while your only desire is denied. I "read" about sleep paralysis well after I experienced it several times as an adult.

This is about what I'd expect you to write though. People just aren't thinking open-mindedly enough, as always.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
And yeah, if you look for a shadow man, you'll see him. It's the same as in any dream where if you think something is going to happen it often will.
This doesn't describe most of my dreams. Generally things happen that just make no sense
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:The scariness of sleep paralysis is all in your head. You're finding it scary because other people have hammered into you that it is. Really it's just your body being asleep and your mind still awake, and there's nothing scary about that. People get too hung up on the fact that they can't move and forget that it's actually an opportunity to have a lucid dream.
Perhaps, but as a kid I didn't know what it was. Nothing was hammered into my head.

Maybe now, perhaps. But an intense hallucination is not exactly the most convenient headspace to remain cool while your only desire is denied.
In my experience it's not an actual hallucination. After all, your eyes aren't open. You can't open them, because you're paralyzed. When you open your eyes in sleep paralysis (again, in my xp) you aren't really opening them, rather you're dreaming that you are.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Goodspeed wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

Maybe now, perhaps. But an intense hallucination is not exactly the most convenient headspace to remain cool while your only desire is denied.
In my experience it's not an actual hallucination. After all, your eyes aren't open. You can't open them, because you're paralyzed. When you open your eyes in sleep paralysis (again, in my xp) you aren't really opening them, rather you're dreaming that you are.
All hallucinations are fed by the brain, even when awake. I'm not really sure what your point is. Senses deceive us all the time, and remaining open to the deceptions is probably more a mark of an open mind than not. Things seem real, that's life innit.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I suppose you can make that argument, but you're basically saying all dreams are hallucinations then. I would say the difference is in whether or not your eyes are open.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

deleted_user wrote:sleep paralysis is sick

Shadow man is common, he often hovers over my own bed, although his form is much more fluid than in this video. He usually talks of my mother's death.

As a kid shadow man told me to step into hell, which I could see as a black abyss the diameter of a couple feet on the floor next to my bed, but of course I was just thinking I saw it in third person mode. Hell was very black and nothing else mattered, as if my mental field of view was turned up to 1000.

When I wake up from sleep paralysis I am usually out of breath. I do not think I get it as bad as a lot of folks.
That sounds pretty bad :o . I have only had significant hallucinations once, the first time I had paralysis and thankfully nothing sinister but I felt fear anyways. There was a knock on my door and my cat was meowing under my bed though not actually in my room. I imagined looking over the edge of my bed and the cat jumped at my face, I then heard a large amount of meows coming from all directions at once. Everything went to white with a weird hum and pressure feeling in my head and then I woke up. Now I can get it often if I wake up in the morning and stay in bed and go back to sleep. I will drift into a sleep paralysis state instead of falling asleep normally and I can feel it coming on with that same hum and pressure-like feeling. If I move it goes away, if I let it happen I find myself paralyzed except my eyes with a sense of fear and unable to get out of it for several minutes. I can do this multiple times in a row.

Anyways you should step into hell next time and report back.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:I suppose you can make that argument, but you're basically saying dreams are hallucinations then.
I mean they kind of are right?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

See edit. I base it on absolutely nothing though.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:See edit. I base it on absolutely nothing though.
I'm too fast for your edits
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Also is sleep paralysis really that common? I'm surprised by how many people here have experienced it
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Jam wrote:
deleted_user wrote:sleep paralysis is sick

As a kid shadow man told me to step into hell, which I could see as a black abyss the diameter of a couple feet on the floor next to my bed, but of course I was just thinking I saw it in third person mode. Hell was very black and nothing else mattered, as if my mental field of view was turned up to 1000.

That sounds pretty bad :o . I have only had significant hallucinations once, the first time I had paralysis and thankfully nothing sinister but I felt fear anyways. There was a knock on my door and my cat was meowing under my bed though not actually in my room. I imagined looking over the edge of my bed and the cat jumped at my face, I then heard a large amount of meows coming from all directions at once. Everything went to white with a weird hum and pressure feeling in my head and then I woke up. Now I can get it often if I wake up in the morning and stay in bed and go back to sleep. I will drift into a sleep paralysis state instead of falling asleep normally and I can feel it coming on with that same hum and pressure-like feeling. If I move it goes away, if I let it happen I find myself paralyzed except my eyes with a sense of fear and unable to get out of it for several minutes. I can do this multiple times in a row.

Anyways you should step into hell next time and report back.
Yes, I experience it most often going back to sleep during the day too. The "hum" is present for me too. Big hum. Interesting your wrote that, I'm sure there's some sort of connection with REM and the very complicated thing that is our sleep schedule in such a digital age as this.

Anecdotally, I've been able to decrease it during this stage of waking/sleeping during day (usually like an afternoon nap) by consciously over-ventilating when awake to flood my body with oxygen. I really feel like my experiences are tied with a mild form of undiagnosed sleep apnea. It's hard because even though the experience of sleep paralysis is very disconcerting, the body is still within a heavy biological sleep cycle, and the tendency to fall back asleep is strong, and the same experience can occur again.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Goodspeed wrote:I suppose you can make that argument, but you're basically saying all dreams are hallucinations then. I would say the difference is in whether or not your eyes are open.
It's just a matter of perception. You are either not perceiving it strongly enough, or are a buddhist ready to self immolate at the slightest social injustice, with that mental stalwartness.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

When you go back to sleep after waking up, there's an increased chance you will fall right back into REM sleep, which can result in sleep paralysis. I almost never lucid dream at night for the same reason. It's almost always in the morning after waking up and going back to sleep.