Where to eat cheap

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Where to eat cheap

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
benj89 wrote:I don't think fasting is very safe past 2-3 days unless you've been checked by a doctor beforehand. I've heard of fasting up to 30ish days but I'd probably try a one week fast sometimes in the future, sounds like an interesting experiment.
Honestly I hope this thread is a joke, anyone 18+ should know how to eat cheap (i.e fewer than $30 a week in the most expensive US city is easily doable) and I've cleaned microwaves dirtier than this in less than 10 minutes multiples times - what happens when you live with 7 people in an apartment.

It's not a joke, though. It's very possible young men out of the house who have the means to eat out nearly every day do so, in turn develop no cooking experience/comfort/familiarity in the kitchen, rarely ever buy groceries and if so, buy prepared food, and are so repulsed by effort in certain areas they would rather take the expensive ease over frugal effort especially if which introduces a mental stress.
Why just young men, why not old men, or young women? You fucking ageist xexist cunt

Why not old female polar bears, you fucking ageist, xexist, specieist cunt!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

God damn you got me
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Hidddy_ wrote:boil some water and stick some carbs in there to boil. high heat 8/10. spaghetti: 10 -14 minutes (throw at wall and it should stick), potatoes: 30-40 minutes (poke with knife), rice: use the same amount of water and rice (maybe a tad more water) add salt and garlic for adventure. learn to fry a piece of meat (2 for 1 deals at publix are highly recommended) and ingest.

some personal tips:
imo 1 portion of rice for 1.5 portion of water works best. It actually depends on the grain, some need slightly more or less water than that.
Potatoes are great - cheap, taste good and versatile: you can fry them (in which case I don't boil them, just put in a pan with generous amount of olive oil + butter) or boil them and mix with a salad/make mashed potatoes in which case you'd let them cook slightly longer and add butter + milk to it.
For the meat: start with a small amount of olive oil in the pan and by the end of the cooking (depends on how thick your piece is) add a decent amount of butter and let the meat fry with the butter a minute on both sides while reducing the heat. I'm not a meat expert but it works well. Some people like to cook the outside part in a pan then transfer to a oven for the inside but that's a pain.
Yes, butter is important
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

benj89 wrote:
Hidddy_ wrote:boil some water and stick some carbs in there to boil. high heat 8/10. spaghetti: 10 -14 minutes (throw at wall and it should stick), potatoes: 30-40 minutes (poke with knife), rice: use the same amount of water and rice (maybe a tad more water) add salt and garlic for adventure. learn to fry a piece of meat (2 for 1 deals at publix are highly recommended) and ingest.

some personal tips:
imo 1 portion of rice for 1.5 portion of water works best. It actually depends on the grain, some need slightly more or less water than that.
Potatoes are great - cheap, taste good and versatile: you can fry them (in which case I don't boil them, just put in a pan with generous amount of olive oil + butter) or boil them and mix with a salad/make mashed potatoes in which case you'd let them cook slightly longer and add butter + milk to it.
For the meat: start with a small amount of olive oil in the pan and by the end of the cooking (depends on how thick your piece is) add a decent amount of butter and let the meat fry with the butter a minute on both sides while reducing the heat. I'm not a meat expert but it works well. Some people like to cook the outside part in a pan then transfer to a oven for the inside but that's a pain.
Yes, butter is important

Yes, I agree with you depends on the rice, in fact the package will tell you the best portions of water and rice to use. The meat sounds solid too, butter leaves a nice texture on the outside and lets the meat keep cooking well as the oil dissipates. I was tryna keep it simple since gib doesn't seem to like cooking :P
De Funk
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

The res a genuine Mexican food place ny my place like a mile or two from here. They have amazing food cheap big on quantitty and awesome taste it's really popular
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

kami_ryu wrote:I still don't like cooking with olive oil as opposed to just normal vegetable oil. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm It just rubs me the wrong way

weird post dude
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

kami_ryu wrote:I still don't like cooking with olive oil as opposed to just normal vegetable oil. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm It just rubs me the wrong way

How much money did u spend on a olive oil?
shit juice :hmm:
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

You can eat cheap in Mumbai, about 12 INR for one time meal, which is about 0.18 USD
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:You can eat cheap in Mumbai, about 12 INR for one time meal, which is about 0.18 USD

I don't live in mumbai, this isn't helpful to me
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

weird post dude

it's why nobody takes him seriously
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

kami_ryu wrote:
QueenOfdestiny wrote:

not sure really. last bottle my mom bought me so I can't remember the price but I just won't use it to cook at all so I still have it. it's not exactly the cheapest stuff. and I cook with butter a lot

how much do you pay?

tbh i dont like to frie anything with olive oil... i mostly use sunflower oil
But for a good salad sauce, i use 5€ + olive oil.
Otherwise, i dont like it. The taste is just to "hard"
shit juice :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

kami_ryu wrote:
QueenOfdestiny wrote:

not sure really. last bottle my mom bought me so I can't remember the price but I just won't use it to cook at all so I still have it. it's not exactly the cheapest stuff. and I cook with butter a lot

how much do you pay?

bish
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

kami_ryu wrote:
QueenOfdestiny wrote:
Show hidden quotes

tbh i dont like to frie anything with olive oil... i mostly use sunflower oil
But for a good salad sauce, i use 5€ + olive oil.
Otherwise, i dont like it. The taste is just to "hard"

oh! my bad!

yes I'll still use olive oil in food, but I won't actually use it to fry food! I'll definitely put it in salads or use it for spaghetti or something

for cooking grease (to fry food) I use butter or peanut/sunflower oil

nice job
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

kami_ryu wrote:you know I've considered resigning as a moderator just so I could go back to talking smack to you

do it, just opens up a spot for me (as a mod I would never resign in order to attack someone because I'm sane and not driven by my compulsions to attack people like a fucking animal)
Retired Contributor

@kami_ryu :mad: You just got owned by an ear :mad:
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

Become vegetarian (im pescetarian) Foodbill dropped by 50%.
Simply because I cant eat out anywhere now.

and most olive oil is toxic, laden with heavy metals from the chemical waste thats getting buried there in the fields. use organic oils , (from Greece)or ur butter which is actually better.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

kami_ryu wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:you know I've considered resigning as a moderator just so I could go back to talking smack to you

do it, just opens up a spot for me (as a mod I would never resign in order to attack someone because I'm sane and not driven by my compulsions to attack people like a fucking animal)

I've definitely been called an animal before lol. fond memories. but you aren't the person I want to hear that from

I digress. Our styles do indeed differ. I'm direct as fuck. get over it. if I see you or anyone being an ass about something I'll call it out. oh and I'll enjoy it. your style is beating around the bush and baiting people as indirectly as you can. you revel it. it's such a pussyfooting style it makes me cringe honestly. all you ever do is bait and bait and pretend to be friendly and then turn on people. I watched with detached amusement when you were trying to win me over when kami_ryu was a smurf. you're a dick. you keep trying to get people to take sides and you're polarizing, not because you have strong ideals but because you just want to see people bicker. and I cannot stand that. I gave you the benefit of the doubt for literally years and honestly I have no longer any need to pretend to like you. I don't like how false you are. and if you aren't fake then seek professional help

and for crying out loud don't fucking quote me three times in a thread when I'm having a grown up discussion about cooking grease with an actual friend of mine. I ignored you twice for the sake of politeness. you keep baiting. you know I don't like you. you keep baiting. so I'll take the bait and pull on your idiot line myself until we're face to face and I'll tell you to shut the fuck up.

I like the parts where you purposefully don’t capitalize the start of the next sentence after a period. Makes it sound like you could kick some ass.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I heard/read so many times that vegetable oils are bad for you that I just stopped using them except when I deep fry. I always use extra virgin organic olive oil and from what I know the healthy cooking fats are olive/coconut oil, butter and animal fats.
I should say that my grandmother cooked fish her whole life (fish merchant) and although she uses olive oil with everything else, to her the best way to fry fish is with vegetable oil especially delicate fish like sole.
Fried potatoes cooked in duck fat are also really good, just can’t find duck fat everywhere.
I guess it mostly comes down to health/taste/price preference
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Olive oil is actually better for frying since its molecules can endure high temperatures better. But yeah, it has a strong taste, so sunflower oil is a good alternative. Afaik butter isn’t quite as healthy, due to its saturated fatty acids. I still use it though, generally with pasta or eggs or cakes. Butter tastes so good goddamnit :!:

Btw meat and fish are generally relatively expensive, so being vegetarian helps keeping the costs down. Although i really love nuts and such, so it wouldn’t really make much sense to avoid meat because it is expensive and then buy nuts, would it?
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:You can eat cheap in Mumbai, about 12 INR for one time meal, which is about 0.18 USD

I don't live in mumbai, this isn't helpful to me

You didn't specify a location, your mistake