Official 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Official 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by princeofcarthage »

There is no point to world cup without germany tbh FIFA should save money and end this ;/
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Portugal sergyou
Lancer

Post by sergyou »

princeofcarthage wrote:There is no point to world cup without germany tbh FIFA should save money and end this ;/

what are u saying ? so u rather see the favorites to win it everytime , thats boring don't u think ?
Retired Contributor

sergyou wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:There is no point to world cup without germany tbh FIFA should save money and end this ;/

what are u saying ? so u rather see the favorites to win it everytime , thats boring don't u think ?

Not if the games are interesting tensed and action filled, like germany vs sweden earlier. Germany is simply worlds apart in terms of gameplay, emotions, class and just everything. Football is not Football without germany.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

princeofcarthage wrote:
sergyou wrote:

Not if the games are interesting tensed and action filled, like germany vs sweden earlier. Germany is simply worlds apart in terms of gameplay, emotions, class and just everything. Football is not Football without germany.

You haven't watched many world cups have you? There is plenty of what you mentioned in all the other teams. Just because your favourite team is out doesn't mean it will be a bad world cup. Saying football isn't football without a country is ridiculous. If they were so great they would have topped their group with ease.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Football is a simple game. 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end the Germans no longer win.
Retired Contributor

InsectPoison wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You haven't watched many world cups have you? There is plenty of what you mentioned in all the other teams. Just because your favourite team is out doesn't mean it will be a bad world cup. Saying football isn't football without a country is ridiculous. If they were so great they would have topped their group with ease.

I have watched each and every world cup since 2006, and yes few teams play like Germany namely Italy Spain and Netherlands (2014 team at least) and since only remaining team is Spain this world cup definitely sucks, England France Brazil, Argentina (to some extent messi helps balance it) simply lack the energy and enthusiasm of the above mentioned teams. FIFA simply doesn't have any reason to continue this world cup, xyz team will win the world cup and Germany will still be best anyways, so effectively unless Spain wins, its pointless who wins the world cup and hence should be stopped.

Edit: Once upon a time Uruguay and Chile use to be nice teams too
Edit: I sincerely hope Croatia wins this world cup if not Spain
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Brazil Kickass_OP
Lancer
ESO: Kickass

Post by Kickass_OP »

QueenOfdestiny wrote:Bla bla bla
Why people like football?

Why do you like Kaiser?
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Kickass_OP wrote:

Why do you like Kaiser?

Because he likes to play germany :P
shit juice :hmm:
Brazil Kickass_OP
Lancer
ESO: Kickass

Post by Kickass_OP »

QueenOfdestiny wrote:
Kickass_OP wrote:

Why do you like Kaiser?

Because he likes to play germany :P

gg no re!
:(
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Image Image Image
Germany IamSherlocked
Crossbow

Post by IamSherlocked »

Garja wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnP7c4CXz_M
fuckin RAUS, really

Ah the Italian jealousy again. Although I understand the frustration, becoming an almost irrelevant nation when it comes to football sucks for sure, but it's not our fault that you didn't qualify for this wc and dropped out in the group stage the two before.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I dont get it. Why the arrogance, why the hostility? Dont we all simply enjoy the game? Its the same with competitions, where people blindly hate other supporters and teams. Its really weird to me.

Btw Italy was pretty relevant in 2012 iirc. Didnt they knock germany put that time? Apperantly bately lost to germany in 2016. Pretty decent job for italy, except for this year.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I don't get the hate either. But speaking for Germany, I have to admit that many people live out their nationalist fantasies in football. I think this has to do with Germany's national trauma of WW2 and the flight into football after winning the championship in 1954. Even today, many people say that by winning in 1954, Germany again "represented" something in the international landscape. I guess this event allowed many Germans to shift their nationalist tendencies into football/sports, especially as they were already used to do so by the Olympics 1936.

Winning a championship or a game today brings out ugly faces of nationalist behavior, often badly masked as "humour" (easy example: 7 - 1... I wished people would stop this shit). It is the same old thought of superiority over other countries.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

duckzilla wrote:Winning a championship or a game today brings out ugly faces of nationalist behavior, often badly masked as "humour" (easy example: 7 - 1... I wished people would stop this shit). It is the same old thought of superiority over other countries.

Lmao you're interpreting too much into that. 7-1 is just a funny joke cause it was the ultimate humiliation of the Brazilian football team on home turf. People are making jokes about football teams all the time, now Ger sucked and people are making jokes about them. Pretty simple.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
duckzilla wrote:Winning a championship or a game today brings out ugly faces of nationalist behavior, often badly masked as "humour" (easy example: 7 - 1... I wished people would stop this shit). It is the same old thought of superiority over other countries.

Lmao you're interpreting too much into that. 7-1 is just a funny joke cause it was the ultimate humiliation of the Brazilian football team on home turf. People are making jokes about football teams all the time, now Ger sucked and people are making jokes about them. Pretty simple.

That'd be reasonable after the game. To still be making the same joke 4 years later seems a bit lame, doesn't it?
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01

Post by Lukas_L99 »

momuuu wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:

That'd be reasonable after the game. To still be making the same joke 4 years later seems a bit lame, doesn't it?

Do you know what a meme is?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

See, that is exactly what I mean. Germans are perfect in saying things like "I'm not a racist, but...", "It's just a joke..." or "Just a prank bruh".

Same as when the team from 2014 got back home, mocking the Argentinian team live on stage instead of honoring their effort and just being proud of their own achievement ("Wie gehn die Gauchos?").

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01

Post by Lukas_L99 »

duckzilla wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

See, that is exactly what I mean. Germans are perfect in saying things like "I'm not a racist, but...", "It's just a joke..." or "Just a prank bruh".

Same as when the team from 2014 got back home, mocking the Argentinian team live on stage instead of honoring their effort and just being proud of their own achievement ("Wie gehn die Gauchos?").

Ye, it's a joke and guess what, that's not only germans who are making those kind of jokes.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

momuuu wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:

Brasil losing 7-1 is timeless
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Ye, it's a joke and guess what, that's not only germans who are making those kind of jokes.

So... that makes it magically better?

Also to repeat momuuu's argument: it is reasonable after the game, but four years later?
Just common behavior of people with a minority complex.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01

Post by Lukas_L99 »

duckzilla wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:Ye, it's a joke and guess what, that's not only germans who are making those kind of jokes.

So... that makes it magically better?

Also to repeat momuuu's argument: it is reasonable after the game, but four years later?
Just common behavior of people with a minority complex.

It's a fucking joke, not more not less. Stop interpreting too much into it. Just like England losing at penalty shootouts or whatever.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

dont mind lukas, hes just the community troll
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »