Carpal Tunnel Mitigation

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Carpal Tunnel Mitigation

Post by deleted_user »

I got the bitch bad.

Just being on the computer for an hour hurts my mouse wrist (right) most. After a long day it's difficult to alleviate the pain to sleep. It's probably from all the tension-stressed torsion I applied from tying endless rebar in my summers and also from the 1400 hours of AoE. Sometimes I have to use my mouse left handed.

Well, I kind of stretch my fingers back when it hurts but it doesn't do all that much. Should I get one of those grandma pads? Image
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Re: Carpal Tunnel Mitigation

Post by giveuanxiety »

your desk layout is probably bad. I've had many different desks layouts witch college dorm desk, home, college apartment, current apartment. Some of them were really bad and I would get eblow and/or wrist pain fairly quickly, and would have to sometimes stop playing for a bit and put some ice on myself. However with a proper desk layout I never really have this issue regardless of how much I play.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Surgery can fix the problem quite easily , but seeing as you’re in the USA It might bankrupt you. Would your insurance cover it?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

giveuanxiety wrote:your desk layout is probably bad. I've had many different desks layouts witch college dorm desk, home, college apartment, current apartment. Some of them were really bad and I would get eblow and/or wrist pain fairly quickly, and would have to sometimes stop playing for a bit and put some ice on myself. However with a proper desk layout I never really have this issue regardless of how much I play.

What constitutes "proper desk set up" for you? My desk is an old door my dad an I sanded and stained and screwed steel pipes to. It has a lot of sentimental value, knife marks, and beer-opening marks. I won't part easy. My office chair armrest comes up maybe 3/4 an inch below the top of the desk, I rest my elbow on it, and the wrists of my hands on the desk base while they use the mouse and keyboard respectively. They are at a slight incline.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

the age and quality of the desk doesn't matter. Just things like the height of the desk, where your arm rest, your keyboard and monitor and mouse. and mainly your wrist. It's hard to explain how to exactly have it. Essentially it should just be comfortable and you should feel that you can move easily and freely.

you might have seen this video before, I saw it a while back and I think I remember that it basically sums up all these things. I did a quick search and found this link, I dunno if there is a shorter version of it but what your looking for starts at around 4mins in video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUohpQK ... UddxE9_UHj
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Lol i fucked up my back cuz of my bad desk,be happy its your wrist
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

So your wrist hurt because of... ehm... playing?
Get a gf dude.
[Sith] - Baphomet
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

That's horrible indeed, I got it too right now and It's super bad. I figured that being sit a bit higher on the chair and so having the desktop a bit lower fixed most of the pain. Good luck for fixong your problem, that's super super annoying.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Snuden wrote:So your wrist hurt because of... ehm... playing?
Get a gf dude.

There's virtually no wrist impingement when I masturbate. Either the elbow or the shoulder forms a rotational hinge that processes translation.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

that's because he has an elephant sized P
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

My penis is tuberous. My penis is a grotesque malignant tumor mass, it's true. Man, great thread. Good direction. Way to solve the issue at hand.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

Stop playing. Your future literally depends on being able to use that arm.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-M57 ... thena=true

fking 89 euros here wtf. :huh:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

giveuanxiety wrote:the age and quality of the desk doesn't matter. Just things like the height of the desk, where your arm rest, your keyboard and monitor and mouse. and mainly your wrist. It's hard to explain how to exactly have it. Essentially it should just be comfortable and you should feel that you can move easily and freely.

you might have seen this video before, I saw it a while back and I think I remember that it basically sums up all these things. I did a quick search and found this link, I dunno if there is a shorter version of it but what your looking for starts at around 4mins in video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUohpQK ... UddxE9_UHj

Ye that video is actually good. One thing I want to suggest is try to get a mouse with which you can fingertip grip. Fingertip grip is less likely to cause carpal tunnel problems and also it is the best for playing RTS games.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

One of the things that I struggle with is desk/chair height. I have really long arms relative to my body, so I try to raise the seat as high as possible until my legs are actually touching the desk, but even then my arms still reach a bit lower than the desk which hurts my posture a bit.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Also for the desk setup, make sure you can place your arm and wrist flat. If your wrist is bent while you play, then this is the most likely cause of your carpal. Same thing happens when you play instruments with a bent wrist (bad technique). You may have to move your mouse pad back in order to get more of your arm on the desk, alternatively you can move your elbow back to straighten out your arm, or a mix of the two.

Couldn't find any good pictures with a mouse, so here are some with a guitar illustrating my point. First picture is of bad (bent) wrist technique, an the second is good (flat).
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/josephnyc1/media/bWVkaWFJZDo0MDI4NDYw/?ref=
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/josephnyc1/media/bWVkaWFJZDo0MDI4NDU4/?ref=
De Funk
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

momuuu wrote:One of the things that I struggle with is desk/chair height. I have really long arms relative to my body, so I try to raise the seat as high as possible until my legs are actually touching the desk, but even then my arms still reach a bit lower than the desk which hurts my posture a bit.

You can buy (expensive) stuff for that. Ikea desks>600 euros and >350 gaming chairs.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Radix_Lecti wrote:
momuuu wrote:One of the things that I struggle with is desk/chair height. I have really long arms relative to my body, so I try to raise the seat as high as possible until my legs are actually touching the desk, but even then my arms still reach a bit lower than the desk which hurts my posture a bit.

You can buy (expensive) stuff for that. Ikea desks>600 euros and >350 gaming chairs.

Actually theres no way to fix that. If I strecht my arms they go lower than my legs. But I get raise my seat more becsyse the legs are in the way.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

sure, but with low armrests and high desks and a trackman you could get a comfy experience.

I know cuz I have it. Well not the arms, but I have a high chair and adjustable Ikea desk. I'm sure you would be fine with a low armrest and trackball and lefthanded Ikea desk of >500 euros.

This is my chair and the ikea desk I bought 2nd hand. your chair you can adjust simply by ordering a heightened 'gasveer'. Just fyi not to brag or anything, u can solve this fairly easily with an IKEA height-adjustable desk and some fiddling about.

https://akracingeurope.eu/onyx-series/
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

I`ve had a similar problem this winter because of bad arm support. What I did was cut the time I sat at the computer and made sure my wrist and elbow are at the same height. Right now I`ve had it set up so that my whole arm rests on the table. Also exercise helps strengthening your wrists and don`t go too hard when you`re working or working out. There`s no point in fucking up your body when you`re this young and handsome. ^^
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Radix_Lecti wrote:sure, but with low armrests and high desks and a trackman you could get a comfy experience.

I know cuz I have it. Well not the arms, but I have a high chair and adjustable Ikea desk. I'm sure you would be fine with a low armrest and trackball and lefthanded Ikea desk of >500 euros.

This is my chair and the ikea desk I bought 2nd hand. your chair you can adjust simply by ordering a heightened 'gasveer'. Just fyi not to brag or anything, u can solve this fairly easily with an IKEA height-adjustable desk and some fiddling about.

https://akracingeurope.eu/onyx-series/

You cant raise the chair higher if your legs are already touching the desk right?
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

if u have a left handed desk you can use the low armrest and a trackball.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Having carpal tunnel is off-putting
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

Callen pull up bar can be the real treatment with no surgery and alot of benefits.hannibal for king himself started calisthenics because of injured wrist.he not only got rid of his problems but also built an amazing body.i really can't describe how good it is.i have one in my room and i train regularly. Im able to break apricot stone with my bare hands
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Sargsyan wrote:Callen pull up bar can be the real treatment with no surgery and alot of benefits.hannibal for king himself started calisthenics because of injured wrist.he not only got rid of his problems but also built an amazing body.i really can't describe how good it is.i have one in my room and i train regularly. Im able to break apricot stone with my bare hands

hmm, I used to have a pull up bar but now don't on account of it ruining door frames and affecting my apartment deposits.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

deleted_user wrote:
Sargsyan wrote:Callen pull up bar can be the real treatment with no surgery and alot of benefits.hannibal for king himself started calisthenics because of injured wrist.he not only got rid of his problems but also built an amazing body.i really can't describe how good it is.i have one in my room and i train regularly. Im able to break apricot stone with my bare hands

hmm, I used to have a pull up bar but now don't on account of it ruining door frames and affecting my apartment deposits.

Lol doorway pull up bar is just gay, it's so uncomfortable and it reduces the amount of exercises you can do.
I recommend you to get this kind of wall mounted pull up bar as you can do many exercises on many muscle groups