the Noam Chomsky thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: the Noam Chomsky thread

Post by spanky4ever »

Gendarme wrote:I raise my bet to $10. I am getting increasingly confident!

If you got anyone to take your bet, you earned some money ^^
Sorry
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Was I correct or wrong, then?
Pay more attention to detail.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

well if you missed out, there is still lots and lots to have, even though Noam is very old. and we should listen to his wisdom - while he is here with us
https://youtu.be/v4FZFldaFbg?t=591
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

well, pretty disapointing tbo. but what can I expect?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

This thread is pretty dead but I don't think people will suddenly start posting if you keep complaining long enough. You are spamming your own thread, making it hard to even spot interesting posts.

If there is interest, people will start discussing it. If not, you can move on with your life.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

edeholland wrote:This thread is pretty dead but I don't think people will suddenly start posting if you keep complaining long enough. You are spamming your own thread, making it hard to even spot interesting posts.

If there is interest, people will start discussing it. If not, you can move on with your life.

Sorry
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

should just lock this one up, cos the point is pretty much not there if the docu is not available in US.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

You made 20 out of the 34 posts in this thread. You are saying the thread is being derailed, but you are actively contributing to that. You made 2 serious posts, but those were just links to videos, which doesn't really prompt any discussion. If nobody is responding, it's not the fault of the users. It's the fault of the thread or the subject.

I think I am going to lock this thread soon since like you say, it's going nowhere. Please, stop insulting everyone. You are saying people have too low IQ for this thread or need half a brain for Chomky, which is quite an aggresive position to take if you wanna bring up a serious discussion. Try to remain civil, don't make it personal and surely there will be more response next time.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I mean, it's night in europe, and your thread is open since only 2h, how would you expect a lot of answers?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

kk I get it ;) Im a night owl (sometimes) :P
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

I disagree with some of Chomsky's political views.

First, I think he takes the America-bashing too far sometimes. Obviously the U.S. has done many terrible things in its time, but people like Chomsky tend to overlook the good. How many lives did the U.S. save when it pushed back the Axis in World War II? Is anyone going to argue that Europe would have been better off under the Nazis, or under the Soviets after them? Or that the Pacific would have been better off under Japan, which was butchering people in China and Indonesia by the thousands before being defeated? U.S. interventions definitely have the capacity to do a lot of good, and I'm not sure Chomsky recognizes this.

Chomsky's warnings about corporatism are definitely valid, but I don't think his solution is a good one - he thinks we should implement a variant of communism (syndicalism), which is unrealistic and probably unworkable.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

edeholland wrote:You made 20 out of the 34 posts in this thread. You are saying the thread is being derailed, but you are actively contributing to that. You made 2 serious posts, but those were just links to videos, which doesn't really prompt any discussion. If nobody is responding, it's not the fault of the users. It's the fault of the thread or the subject.

I think I am going to lock this thread soon since like you say, it's going nowhere. Please, stop insulting everyone. You are saying people have too low IQ for this thread or need half a brain for Chomky, which is quite an aggresive position to take if you wanna bring up a serious discussion. Try to remain civil, don't make it personal and surely there will be more response next time.

Not my intention at all.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Papist wrote:I disagree with some of Chomsky's political views.

First, I think he takes the America-bashing too far sometimes. Obviously the U.S. has done many terrible things in its time, but people like Chomsky tend to overlook the good. How many lives did the U.S. save when it pushed back the Axis in World War II? Is anyone going to argue that Europe would have been better off under the Nazis, or under the Soviets after them? Or that the Pacific would have been better off under Japan, which was butchering people in China and Indonesia by the thousands before being defeated? U.S. interventions definitely have the capacity to do a lot of good, and I'm not sure Chomsky recognizes this.

Chomsky's warnings about corporatism are definitely valid, but I don't think his solution is a good one - he thinks we should implement a variant of communism (syndicalism), which is unrealistic and probably unworkable.

hmm. I am glad that somebody responed to the actual thread, and maybe you watchet the video (not sure).
USA in the 1930 - 1960 was a really good period for you. The war helped you to get out of the depression, and boom economically. It also helped Europa get back on their feet because of generous donations and loans.
But you know that was also in the benefit of USA, cos they needed partners to trade with. A Europa left in ashes would not be a good trading partner. I do not think you watched the video though @Papist becouse what Chomsky are talking about, are mostly what happened after WW2 :!: I mean, if you watch it, we can talk about it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iwillspankyou wrote:I do not think you watched the video though @Papist becouse what Chomsky are talking about, are mostly what happened after WW2 :!: I mean, if you watch it, we can talk about it, but you should not pretend you did :salt:

People in America cannot watch it, it is blocked for us on YouTube as Callen pointed out
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:I do not think you watched the video though @Papist becouse what Chomsky are talking about, are mostly what happened after WW2 :!: I mean, if you watch it, we can talk about it, but you should not pretend you did :salt:

People in America cannot watch it, it is blocked for us on YouTube as Callen pointed out

If you have netflix, its on there; called a requiem of the american dream.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

iwillspankyou wrote:hmm. I am glad that somebody responed to the actual thread, and maybe you watchet the video (not sure).
USA in the 1930 - 1960 was a really good period for you. The war helped you to get out of the depression, and boom economically. It also helped Europa get back on their feet because of generous donations and loans.
But you know that was also in the benefit of USA, cos they needed partners to trade with. A Europa left in ashes would not be a good trading partner. I do not think you watched the video though @Papist becouse what Chomsky are talking about, are mostly what happened after WW2 :!: I mean, if you watch it, we can talk about it, but you should not pretend you did :salt:

I don't see the video on Netflix and can't watch it on Youtube. However, I'm pretty familiar with Chomsky's works and worldview, so I feel qualified to comment.

You're definitely right that the U.S. didn't help rebuild Europe out of generosity - it did it to protect its own economy and counter the influence of the Soviet Union. The U.S. acted in its own best interest. However, it still had a positive impact that was far preferable than the alternative: being transformed into Soviet client states. Under American protection, Europe got security guarantees and investment while retaining its autonomy - a far preferable arrangement.

There are examples of the U.S. doing good after WW2 too. I would argue that U.S. interventions were net positives in Korea and Bosnia.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I know @Papist, I just added this to my post above. its not allowed for you to c. Even though its all about you. Guess you have to pay a little to watch it?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The video was simply amazing, one of my favorites.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

iwillspankyou wrote:I know @Papist, I just added this to my post above. its not allowed for you to c. Even though its all about you. Freedom of speach, but not freedom of what you can watch :cry: guess you have to pay for it?

It's a copyright issue - the owner probably didn't like the content he/she paid to make being put on YouTube where people can watch it without paying. If I paid millions of dollars to make a movie, I wouldn't like that either. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can pirate someone's movie, lol.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iwillspankyou wrote:well at this point, I woud be sad. but not entirely surpiced if you let this go on, and another thread is dead @mods

Btw just letting you know, you often write a "c" where there should be an "s". For example sence - sense and surpricing - surprising
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

evilcheadar wrote:The video was simply amazing, one of my favorites.

Does that mean you could watch it now from youtube? While staying in US?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

ovi12 wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:well at this point, I woud be sad. but not entirely surpiced if you let this go on, and another thread is dead @mods

Btw just letting you know, you often write a "c" where there should be an "s". For
example sence - sense and surpricing - surprising

Guess you have to be patient about some of my misspellings since I am not native english speaking. If I can make myself understood, that is good enough to me.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iwillspankyou wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

Btw just letting you know, you often write a "c" where there should be an "s". For
example sence - sense and surpricing - surprising

Guess you have to be patient about some of my misspellings since I am not native english speaking. If I can make myself understood, that is good enough to me.

Yes you are understood. I was just letting you know for your own benefit in case you have to write something in English somewhere that matters.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego