Watches

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Watches

Post by fightinfrenchman »

So last night I was pretty drunk and watching one of my favorite movies, Beverly Hills Cop. For some reason I really liked the watch Eddie Murphy's character was wearing, so I scoured the internet to figure out the specific model. Once I found it I was disappointed to not find the watch on Amazon (recently got a $70 Amazon gift card so this would have been helpful - in fact, that gift card paid for me to digitally purchase the movie).

I could only find the watch from one eBay seller, who claimed it's "rare." So I bought it for around $80 after shipping costs. It's a CASIO 305 AQ-30W.

I've never been a watch person but I'd like to know if any other people here are interested in watches. Seems like something I might like though I could see it becoming an expensive hobby quickly.
Attachments
bhc-crop.jpg
s-l400.jpg
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Re: Watches

Post by Jam »

I was interested in skeleton clocks for a while. Damn now I want one again.
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

fightinfrenchman wrote:So last night I was pretty drunk and watching one of my favorite movies, Beverly Hills Cop. For some reason I really liked the watch Eddie Murphy's character was wearing, so I scoured the internet to figure out the specific model. Once I found it I was disappointed to not find the watch on Amazon (recently got a $70 Amazon gift card so this would have been helpful - in fact, that gift card paid for me to digitally purchase the movie).

I could only find the watch from one eBay seller, who claimed it's "rare." So I bought it for around $80 after shipping costs. It's a CASIO 305 AQ-30W.

I've never been a watch person but I'd like to know if any other people here are interested in watches. Seems like something I might like though I could see it becoming an expensive hobby quickly.

I wonder if its a fake.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Fortunately eBay is well-known for taking the side of buyers over sellers if that were to be the case. Hope it's not though
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea it could not be a fake and you could claim it was and ebay would probably refund you
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I honestly wouldn't bother collecting unless you have a lot of money to drop on them, or you're collecting cheap niche watches. I only really need a snazzy dress watch and an outdoors watch. Depending on your environment I might recommend spending $200 on a nice watch, but don't keep up with the Jones's.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The watch has arrived! Feels pretty solid and even includes a little user manual which is nice. It's a little smaller than I expected but that's probably because I'm used to wearing a bulky first-gen smartwatch.
Attachments
IMAG0147.jpg
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Are you lefthanded?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Upon further inspection the manual is for the wrong watch, so I'll have to figure out how to set the time on my own

yemshi wrote:Are you lefthanded?

I am not
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

why have it on right hand?
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

Yeah that was my question too. There's nothing worse than writing with a fucking watch on your arm.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I just prefer it that way
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

must have an iq of about 1
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

How is being left handed connected to wearing watch on your right hand. Im left handed and i wear watch on my left hand
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

That's just as bad for the same reason
yemshi wrote:Yeah that was my question too. There's nothing worse than writing with a fucking watch on your arm.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

I write with my right hand checkmate
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

Well then its just fine.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

Putin wears them on right hand too so i guess its okey
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Putin probably has a slave who walks around with him and removes Putin's watch when Putin wants to write and then puts it back on so there's that
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

A reason to put a watch on your non-dominant hand is that the dial on the side is easy to work with when it's facing towards your hand and hard to work with when it's facing towards your arm. Most watches have this pointing towards the right, which makes you want to put the watch on your left wrist. I know all of this because I'm left handed and have spent far too much time trying to figure out why watches are so unnecessarily difficult to use (this is a common experience).
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Well I don't even know how to get it to tell the time correctly so I'm not overly concerned with how often I need to use it
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

Vinyanenya wrote:A reason to put a watch on your non-dominant hand is that the dial on the side is easy to work with when it's facing towards your hand and hard to work with when it's facing towards your hand. Most watches have this pointing towards the right, which makes you want to put the watch on your left wrist. I know all of this because I'm left handed and have spent far too much time trying to figure out why watches are so unnecessarily difficult to use (this is a common experience).

Yeah nice pointing out
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Well there seems to be some issue with the buckle where it comes off any time I try to put it on now. Will hit up a watch repair place on Monday and see if they have any suggestions.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nice