New Sacha Baron Choen show

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

New Sacha Baron Choen show

Post by Jaeger »

As many of you probably know, the creator of Borat is making a new show called "Who is America". Here's a clip. 3:18 just killed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLjAj8620Nk
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: New Sacha Baron Choen film

Post by deleted_user0 »

it's not a movie, it's a series, afaik
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: New Sacha Baron Choen film

Post by Jaeger »

"Introduces specially selected children from 12 to 4 to pistols, rifles, semi-automatics, and rudimentary knowledge of mortars" LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: New Sacha Baron Choen show

Post by deleted_user »

Alright, I'm going to rant before I board this flight.

I hate this video, this series, this style, this way of going about things in a politically hot (or even not) climate.

It's manipulative, misrepresentative. The show has hosts of footage and cherry picks segments and edits them very very specifically to create their desired effect, and likely lie to their guests and create a false environment for them. I get that political bonkers exist but this is NOT in any way shedding any sort of light on it, it's literally "fake news." I get that it's entertainment but, no, people lap this shit up as "lmao conservatives r literal retard." I know because my college educated roommate showed me this exact video and said just that -- "these guis r bein total genuine!!1." Well, yes and no. I mean, imagine cameras in your face, elaborate set ups with an obscene production budget, telepropmpters, it's easy to set up these bizarre scenarios and milk one-liners and put them out of context. And it's undoubtedly politically motivated. Don't tell me the one episode on Sanders tells me anything different. It's all make-fun politics, "right-or-ironic" phenomen, and introduces no actual discourse, or even an environment for actual discourse, just muddies an already and increasingly reactionary political environment. My parents eat this shit up too, Trevor Noah, etc. I can't stand any of it.

If you like social engineering watch Nathan For You it's a 10x better show.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I literarly care 0% about the politics side. I simply like the show for being funny.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I'm not q big fan either, but Unless you've seen all of it, I think it's too early to conclude its intentions or effect. It all depends on whether these political bonkers, as you say, exist in isolation or whether it's a more widespread problem. It may not necessarily foster discussion, but it seems to me that this is more about exposing. Exposing people who are taken seriously (either by themselves or others), or who ought to be taken seriously (by nature of their function). And when members of the senate are willing to go on TV and say the support toddlers with guns, there is a problem there that goes beyond "hurr hurr libtards or conservimorons". The question is then only whether the USA is examplary of the world or unique in this regard.
Germany psychonautics
Crossbow
ESO: slechtehond

Post by psychonautics »

deleted_user wrote:Alright, I'm going to rant before I board this flight.

I hate this video, this series, this style, this way of going about things in a politically hot (or even not) climate.

It's manipulative, misrepresentative. The show has hosts of footage and cherry picks segments and edits them very very specifically to create their desired effect, and likely lie to their guests and create a false environment for them. I get that political bonkers exist but this is NOT in any way shedding any sort of light on it, it's literally "fake news." I get that it's entertainment but, no, people lap this shit up as "lmao conservatives r literal retard." I know because my college educated roommate showed me this exact video and said just that -- "these guis r bein total genuine!!1." Well, yes and no. I mean, imagine cameras in your face, elaborate set ups with an obscene production budget, it's easy to set up these bizarre scenarios and milk one-liners and put them out of context. And it's undoubtedly politically motivated. Don't tell me the one episode on Sanders tells me anything different. It's all make-fun politics, "right-or-ironic" phenomen, and introduces no actual discourse, or even an environment for actual discourse, just muddies an already and increasingly reactionary political environment. My parents eat this shit up too, Trevor Noah, etc. I can't stand any of it.

By your posts i saw recently, i didn't expect this. One friend of mine went further even saying that this is Cohens Intention. This is the thing he wants to make us aware of. Exaggerating the toxicity of recent public political discussions.
I still think most of his work is garbage and symptomatic for this age of memes.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

It's manipulative, misrepresentative. The show has hosts of footage and cherry picks segments and edits them very very specifically to create their desired effect, and likely lie to their guests and create a false environment for them. I get that political bonkers exist but this is NOT in any way shedding any sort of light on it, it's literally "fake news." I get that it's entertainment but, no, people lap this shit up as "lmao conservatives r literal retard." I know because my college educated roommate showed me this exact video and said just that -- "these guis r bein total genuine!!1." Well, yes and no. I mean, imagine cameras in your face, elaborate set ups with an obscene production budget, it's easy to set up these bizarre scenarios and milk one-liners and put them out of context. And it's undoubtedly politically motivated. Don't tell me the one episode on Sanders tells me anything different. It's all make-fun politics, "right-or-ironic" phenomen, and introduces no actual discourse, or even an environment for actual discourse, just muddies an already and increasingly reactionary political environment. My parents eat this shit up too, Trevor Noah, etc. I can't stand any of it.

Kazakh nation sends you their regards
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Sure but at some point the ends justify the means. We should ask ourselves, is exposing these people for the pieces of trash they are not worth taking them out of context?

You hate it because you're an idealist and you like to do things right. Respectable but it feels so out of place in the current political landscape. Being on the right side of history is not going to help against corporate interests and shock politics. At least this guy is doing something.
I get that political bonkers exist but this is NOT in any way shedding any sort of light on it
That is just wrong. Case in point: https://nypost.com/2018/07/25/gop-lawma ... s-america/

That said I wouldn't watch the show it's not really my thing. The highlights will find their way onto Reddit anyway.
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

If you act like this as a representative in front of a film crew, then it's hard to find an excuse for this behavior. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k4pMTsa1Kw
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

SBC is obviously not acting in good faith, but I actually think it's a good thing. The right refuses to actually engage in anything in good faith so why should the left when dealing with them?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Goodspeed wrote:

Sure but at some point the ends justify the means. We should ask ourselves, is exposing these people for the pieces of trash they are not worth taking them out of context?

You hate it because you're an idealist and you like to do things right. Respectable but it feels so out of place in the current political landscape. Being on the right side of history is not going to help against corporate interests and shock politics. At least this guy is doing something.
I get that political bonkers exist but this is NOT in any way shedding any sort of light on it
That is just wrong. Case in point: https://nypost.com/2018/07/25/gop-lawma ... s-america/

That said I wouldn't watch the show it's not really my thing. The highlights will find their way onto Reddit anyway.

Except it's not exposing anything -- it's feaux, set up, disingenuous. What comes across on the show is a misconstruction of reality. It's orchestrated hyperbole. Yeah what they are getting people to say is incredulous but under what pretense? You can't draw any equivalence or parallels between this show and wnythinf else.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The dude yelled "sandnigger" and exposed his butt on camera. I would say that exposed something, pun actually somehow not intended. And I'm not disagreeing with your point about how it's fake. You may have misunderstood my post
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

was thinking of recomending this show on you thread; the best shows ;) to be honest, its both eyebrow raising, and scarey, and a lot of :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :P :P :hmm: :hmm: at the same time. Sanders did very well though - the one person with brains :ear:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think it's supposed to be comedic, not to be used as a serious argument. That's how I see it at least.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Callen, you may have a mistaken idea of identity then. The way you act in a situation like this, very much reflects on your personality. You focus on the set up, on the fakeneness, while you ignore the fact that the people think its real. Which is the key point here, i think. And it's not like everyone took the bait, there are plenty of people who didnt. Some are in the show, more are most likely not. I agree you should be cautious to draw conclusions, and you should definitely take the method and context into account, but you can't just dismiss it as you do, imo.

The things these people say, they are part of them, they believe it, consciously or not, and all sbc does is set them up to expose that part which they otherwise get to hide. The fact that some dont fall for it doesnt necessarily mean they arent hiding anything (rekated to that topic) but may also mean theyre better at hiding it.

And sure, a single slip up can be attributed to pressure of cameras in your face, to the overall weirdness of the situation, but not all of it.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Alright let me state this: I've only watched one full length episode and it was the kiddie gun one. There are two more episodes I haven't seen yet, that includes the "sand n*gger" clip. To make myself clear, yeah, that can't be taken out of context because that's just offensive any which way you cut it. That wasn't a bait and switch, that guy is nuts, and in that respect, the show has done its job. That an individual can be elected to serve in our federal government as a representative of his people and act that way is absurd. Agreed.

Umeu says that some of the antics these high profile guests say and do can be attributed to the fabrication of the scenario -- the false pretenses, manipulation, etc -- but not all it. I'm arguing, where does this line end? Methinks it's easier to put together a highly edited, highly engineered product than it is to be the individual and give them no material to work with at all. Surely screaming expletives, prompted or not, crosses that line of "it doesn't matter if it's not genuine." But in other scenarios, what else is going on, it's fabricated!!

I mean it's social engineering. High profile people are being treated with high profile accommodations that have only ever been legit to them. And so, put them in a legit looking place, ease into quasi rational talks, have cameras, have a teleprompter, etc. It's human nature to be naturally compromised in a situation like that. Have them read a funky line off a TelePrompTer, record it, air it, but not when they said 30 seconds later, "Hey what was that about? I wouldn't say that." And it's human nature not to want to offend when all this effort (budget $$$) has been expanded at their dispense, and he projects himself as a foreign figure, there are potential cultural differences etc. that compromise humans.

My point is, I guess I'm not saying you can't draw anything from this (that racial slur guy sucks) but I think what you can draw is much, much less than what people might want to draw. When the entire environment, pretense, and script work against the guests favor, when it's all *fake*, you have to be really really careful with how you treat the edited product.

Because we don't know the full story; we don't know the context, we only know what has been given to us to know, and that's subject to manipulation.

It's not as if the show is at odds with my political bearings -- it's not. I just, don't like it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Yeah you definitely have a point there, which I agree with to a large extent, if not entirely.

I'm not sure how much editing goes on. From what I've read and seen, most of the manipulation goes into setting the context, the people invited to be on camera, the power of the camera itself, cherry picking interviews and whatever goes on behind the scenes. But what is actually shown doesnt seem heavily edited (though that doesnt mean it isnt), most of it seems a single flowing conversation. Although i havent paid too much attention to it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Hmm, after watching a few episodes, he's just doing the same all the time. It seems callen may have been right from the start. We'll see if it get's any better later, but right now it doesn't really seem like much good is coming out of it.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

gibson wrote:I think it's supposed to be comedic, not to be used as a serious argument. That's how I see it at least.

it is, sure. But one of the lawmakers had to go after showing his azz :cry:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

https://youtu.be/x6zGnle9ECE

its pretty mindblowing that this guy could have anything to say, or making laws in USA :? It makes me wonder again, how off target are
USA now? when a person like this are representing YOU :cry:
Btw, Sanders did very good when interviewed, and so did that journalist (dont remember his name right now)