Dear white people

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Dear white people

Post by Goodspeed »

It has come to my attention that some people on this forum need to watch this show. It might help some of you to empathize with black people and the shit they have to deal with throughout their lives. And it deals with the never ending battle between people who take the right to free speech to the extreme, and those who are potentially hurt by it.
Outside of what it has to say about society's racism problem, it's a comedy/drama combo which is pretty watchable in itself.

Good show, comes highly recommended.

@Aykin Haraka
I can't tag diarouga..
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Re: Dear white people

Post by Aykin Haraka »

I'm not going to make a war or anything, but are you really going to be insulted without saying anything when you watch a stream by the same person, everytime?
me no
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Stay on topic please
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

the show is complete ass tho.....
it aint that funny and its bullshit drama that makes no sense.
There are plenty of shows or movies that show problems black people face that are not complete trash.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's certainly not for everyone, but I would argue that if you don't like it you either don't like the message because you're feeling guilty or attacked by it, or you are just not a fan of drama shows. Nothing about the drama "makes no sense". It's well written.

The difference between the IMDB rating, which is very low for a TV show, and the critical response (praise all around) is very telling. Its message is poignant and a lot of people don't want to hear it.
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/dear-white-people-2017
Critic score 85/100, user score 50/100. Go figure.

Can you explain your problems with the show in more detail?
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

i have any problem
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

As a moderator, I was immensely triggered by this title. I was ready to lock before even looking at the thread, but then I saw the author.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

...and decided to both lock the thread and ban the author.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

edeholland wrote:As a moderator, I was immensely triggered by this title. I was ready to lock before even looking at the thread, but then I saw the author.

Locking threads before reading them is not something a mod should be doing
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Skirmisher

Post by Mvp618 »

I only watched the 1st season.
I have no issues with the "message"
[spoiler=spoiler]but when the dad who runs the school's son is fucking his professor you know that drama is bullshit.
Or the gay guy who is in love with the guy who's fucking the professor.
and then that guy fucking the professor asks the gay guy who loves him for clean piss cuz hes on drugs...[/spoiler]
I could keep going if you would like. The show, more specifically the plot, is trash.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Why is any of that bullshit? I think you just don't like drama shows. Things are always overly dramatized in both TV and movies, that's how entertainment works.
There's always the Wire, but I'm not sure people here are ready for that ;)

What would you recommend instead?
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

I should make a show

THE DESTINY
PEOPLE FLAMING AND DISCUSS
Would someone want this?

ESOC pp talk to each other on stream and flame :dry:
shit juice :hmm:
Skirmisher

Post by Mvp618 »

I love drama shows but the drama has to based on reality. The way the show plays out is absurd. Honestly if you want comedy I would recommend the fresh prince of bel-air or everybody hates Chris. If you want something a bit more serious I would suggest Donald Glover's Atlanta. A movie I thoroughly enjoyed is the biopic Barry, which is a rough telling of a portion or Obama's college days. I think all of these deal with the issues that black people face more realistically, as well as a number of other issues without forcing them down your throat.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

black/asian priviledge of being racist but not tolerate it when it's coming to them. let the shitstorm begin.

and just to add. It is stupid when this topic comes so relevant to our generation of people(whites), just because what our ancestors did in the pass.
not justifying racism but cases like this when someone is literally baiting the other to say the wrong word without thinking it further so he can happily declare himself to be insulted and the other person racist. srsly grow a fucking backbone.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Mvp618 Atlanta is great, haven't seen the movie you mentioned but I'm interested. Anyway in the case of Atlanta, it's less on the nose. I think forcing it down throats is exactly what these people, and sadly a lot of others, need. Like I said, as a drama/comedy it's watchable (by no means one of the greats), but what makes it great is its poignant message which is spelled out to the viewer because it needs to be.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

princeofkabul wrote:black/asian priviledge of being racist but not tolerate it when it's coming to them. let the shitstorm begin.

and just to add. It is stupid when this topic comes so relevant to our generation of people(whites), just because what our ancestors did in the pass.
not justifying racism but cases like this when someone is literally baiting the other to say the wrong word without thinking it further so he can happily declare himself to be insulted and the other person racist. srsly grow a fucking backbone.
Yet another one who just doesn't get it. Exactly this attitude is why you need to watch the show. You might learn something.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

I prefer watching the new purge movie to learn the same movies.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player

Post by princeofkabul »

Goodspeed wrote:
princeofkabul wrote:black/asian priviledge of being racist but not tolerate it when it's coming to them. let the shitstorm begin.

Yet another one who just doesn't get it. Exactly this attitude is why you need to watch the show. You might learn something.

Quite contrary, you don't get it do you. You can go with your shitty speech to KKK but leave the normal people out of your shit.

ill watch the movie though, and give the verdict of it.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

What the hell happened ?
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

who cares?
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player

Post by princeofkabul »

an internet bully does.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Just delete, everything regarding racism in the future, problem solved?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I think what annoys some people is reverse racism and political correctness, it have recently become too much!

Some people seems to be confused about gender too, how that can happen is beyond me. All it takes is a look between your legs and you instantly know to which toilet you should go to.

User was warned for this post - controversial opinions are fine; posting them with the intention of derailing a thread or antagonizing other users is not
[Sith] - Baphomet
Skirmisher

Post by Mvp618 »

I think there has to be a middle ground somewhere that most can agree on. I think its important to realize that people are sensitive to issues regarding race but I also think I should be able to interact with people of other races without having to worry they might pull the race card on me. I like movies and shows that deal with the issues of racism because it often shows a vantage point that I was unaware of. One such area is the criticism that people in these communities face for trying to "act white" - which is hilarious because there really is no such thing as acting white and that sentiment is arguably racist in itself.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I saw that "Tit reveals himself" thread and thought it was going to be a face reveal. I was going to make a joke about the thread's name not being safe for work. :cry: