Dear white people

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Re: Dear white people

Post by Googol »

Why would he be a nazi? I don't understand.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Wow. I did nazi that one coming.
Pay more attention to detail.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

i did :D
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Gendarme wrote:Wow. I did nazi that one coming.

cos you are not that bright - britght :P lol
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

haha yes
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

The locked thread was funnier.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Spank please stop flaming and baiting people, it doesn't help in this thread which was relatively insult-free.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

edeholland wrote:Spank please stop flaming and baiting people, it doesn't help in this thread which was relatively insult-free.

kk :oops:
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Not unusual for a Bernie supporter to call anyone and everyone a Nazi.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

InsectPoison wrote:Not unusual for a Bernie supporter to call anyone and everyone a Nazi.

and I did not do that :!: was never in my mind,. nadel. nei, niech, not ever in our minds :love:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

what is what is a good start
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Bugfixer Gendarme at your service.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Here to fix the bug again. Looks like I'm needed quite a lot tonight.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

what is a smart ass (umeu), what is a cute ass (goodspeed), what is white suprmesieee (Gendarme). What is a resonable person thant do not vote (Gibson). what is a young person who lost his way (Jerom).- who can not tolerate ppl being on the other page then him, without calling them "morons" ; "snuden" of corse,
:hmm:

User has been banned for three-and-a-half days. Reason: Continuous harassment/baiting despite previous warnings.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Great show @Goodspeed, I really enjoyed this one. Thank you for your recommendation.
duck
:mds:
imo
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

really. I tryed to wach it, but man, its kind or stupid and boring, and funny things that are not funny, I could never get in to the show :cry: I tryed though, and cannot understand the fuzz, sorry :!: :?:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

How "fine" it is depends on the integrity of the study as well as the one making the comment. There is a difference in "fineness" between someone who denies the holocaust due to ignorance of the facts, due to ideological indoctrination or due a willful misrepresentation of the facts in order to achieve a certain goal. Yet I wouldn't forbid any of them to say anything.

In general I think everything should be able to be discussed. But most people aren't really interested in a discussion.
I agree. Interesting.

Maybe. I meant what I said In the narrow context of the law and the state/government. It should be legal to say these things, although how and why you say it matters to some extent. No one can forbid anyone their beliefs either. But that doesn't mean I'm ok with people acting on those beliefs in every way. And as such, I see it as a duty of every person who loves freedom, which can't exist truly without tolerance or community, to be against any public acts (and this is an important distinction) that diminish other people's (ability to partake in the) public space. I think it's fine for a religious person to think that abortion is a sin, although I don't agree with it. It's fine to say it too, even though I wouldn't say it. But it's not fine to force others to live by this principle against their will, and it's even less fine to take matters into own hand and punish people for doing something you don't agree with (talking about the public sphere).

However, on the level of community, i think it's fine to take a stance against certain forms of speech that target, isolate and exclude people from the community. in order to ensure the inclusion of all those who are willing and deserving of being part of the community, its members have to guard against intolerance, especially of the kind that forgets the basic tenets of democratic society, that a person is judged on their actions, and that we have a separate branch for this. If it's wrong to judge and punish the son for the crimes of the father, than how can it ever be considered reasonable to judge and punish someone for the crimes a stranger committed solely because they share a certain similarity.

There is no such thing as an intolerance paradox in my mind. Tolerance is not a virtue in and of itself. It's a safety net. It's something that is needed to ensure freedom. Freedom is the space between people. It can only exist in community. As such it is never unlimited, it's always directly limited by the other people you share the community with. It presupposes equality. The French revolution had it right in that regard, freedom (liberté) is equality (egalité) in community (fraternité). In my mind, everyone has the duty to be tolerant in order to ensure freedom for all. But one doesn't have to be, or rather even shouldn't be, tolerant of those actions which in effect diminish or destroy the freedom of others. Because of this, we put criminals in jail. Because of this we have laws that forbid discrimination. And we've created institutions to safeguard the law. Simple in theory. But in practice it appears that some of the institutions are corrupted and tend to protect the interest of one group over that of other groups (generally it's a problem of class, but in many places, class can't just be separated from race without ignoring history and without ignoring how that history still impacts the present). Which is why we're having this conversation right now.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player

Post by princeofkabul »

iwillspankyou wrote:really. I tryed to wach it, but man, its kind or stupid and boring, and funny things that are not funny, I could never get in to the show :cry: I tryed though, and cannot understand the fuzz, sorry :!: :?:

I tried aswell but ultimately I found it boring.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iwillspankyou wrote:really. I tryed to wach it, but man, its kind or stupid and boring, and funny things that are not funny, I could never get in to the show :cry: I tryed though, and cannot understand the fuzz, sorry :!: :?:
Stupid and boring :hmm:

What specifically was stupid and boring to you? Just not that into drama shows? Characters too young?
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player

Post by princeofkabul »

For me, the humour wasn't good. Then the first episode's usage of hashtag this and that made it clear, it's probably a show not for me. I can't say with the experience of that one episode how it addresses racism problem. Maybe it's an eye opener like you said, sadly I find it quite boring.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I get the humour part, people have different senses of humour, but why would usage of hashtags mean it's not a show for you?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:
edeholland wrote:Spank please stop flaming and baiting people, it doesn't help in this thread which was relatively insult-free.

kk :oops:

Kkk*
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

iwillspankyou wrote:what is a smart ass (umeu), what is a cute ass (goodspeed), what is white suprmesieee (Gendarme). What is a resonable person thant do not vote (Gibson). what is a young person who lost his way (Jerom).- who can not tolerate ppl being on the other page then him, without calling them "morons" ; "snuden" of corse,
:hmm:

Seems you forgot; Who is an imbecile (iwillspankyou)

User has been banned for three-and-a-half days. Reason: Continuous harassment/baiting despite previous warnings.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:What stereotype are you talking about? That they're religious?

You dont know what a 'kutmarokkaan' is?

This kind of ignorant stuff is whats feeding racism and racist political parties. There are dumb people walking the streets of their poor neighboorhood, seeing the stereotype get confirmed over and over and over again. But then, when you talk to people like you or watch some politicians speak, they seem to be absolutely oblivious of the reality. Yes, I agree that racism should not exist and fortunately I am smart enough to understand how this stereotype is a combination of unfortunate factors and I also understand that a member of an ethnic group doesnt necessarily fit the stereotype, and even I - a moderate, educated left young man - get a bit annoyed by the fact that in discussions and politics people just straight up turn away from the truth.

Heres some truth for you: if you drive in Overvecht (large amount of Moroccans) you will have signifumicantly more terrible traffic experiences. If there is a black golf with a Moroccan dude driving behind you, you will probably be passed on the right or face aggressive driving behaviour. In Utrecht there is always one 'black school', which means there is an extremely large percentage of Moroccans there. This school will do extremely poorly, because the stereotype is very accurate and teaching such a class is borderline impossible. Often this school is at high risk of losing all other white students and thus having to close. First it was the Nils Stenssen College, then the Gerrit Rietveld Collefe (which narrowly survived by managing to attract more white kids) and now its the Gregorius. You can look up their exam results if you'd like, its not pretty. If theres a case of theft or criminality, its more likely that it was done by a Moroccan than a white person. These are all facts.

This is all so extremely accurate that discrimination is unavoidable at large. If there are two identical resumes, I will choose the white guy over the Moroccan guy because I cannot help but feel like there will at least be some of the stereotype in the Moroccan guy. Taking him would be a risk actually because of how likely it is. By acting oblivious and repeating we shouldnt be racist, you're almost straight up ignoring how reality is. If you want to solve racism, you need to make sure the stereotype isnt so accurate first.