EU4 screenshots thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Re: EU4 screenshots thread

Post by lordraphael »

ovi12 wrote:
lordraphael wrote:if relgious wars trigger, when youre emperor you have done sth wrong. Tho they are pretty funny. When whole europe is at war including nations like russia ottoman etc, its a blast.

So you're supposed to be able to force religion on all the protestants before the war triggers?

if you get ot the reform that forbids internal HRE wars before the religious war triggers, it completly prevents it from happening. and that is possible. I think i revoked privilegia ( the one that makes all of the nations into vassals) roughly at 1525 in my HRE run. Its possible to consistently hit similar timings if you force italy to stay in the HRE and quickly trigger Burgundy inheritance/ force burgundy into the empire.

Also its possible to completly kill of reformation before it even spreads. Tho that needs quite a bit of luck because centers of reformations spawn rdmly.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Started a game as France today. Not much progress was made but it's not 1500 yet so there's still time. No personal unions or vassals, alliances with Castile, Bohemia, and Brandenburg (latter two both rivals of Austria, my rival)
Attachments
download.png
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

you all should get the transparent political map mode mod. Its so much better than vanilla
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Maghreb is so annoying to core because of Berber traditions :mad:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Question: How much stronger opponents should you, as a human player, be able to beat 1v1? For example, should you be able to beat a country with twice the army? Also, what sort of strategies do you use to win?

For me, if there are multiple opponents I often leave my country undefended and go full on for each ally, peacing them out separately with money+war reparations.
If the countries are really close together and I cannot do the above strat, I wait for them to attack my forts and and the attack.
If I have no forts in the region I just shadow the enemy armies, hoping to either attack small fragments of it or get them to attack me.

Any advice?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

One major advantage you always have in single-player games is that you're a human. The AI is not always clever enough to deal with certain seemingly basic things, though it can still pose a threat. Peacing out minor powers is a go-to in the vast majority of wars — that is why the punitive ones, where you're unable to do that, are so tough, and that's also why I, for instance, was able to win the abovementioned religious war despite being on the back foot for most of its duration.

Conquering multiple small countries at once is not that great of a challenge due to the aforesaid and the fact that you can attack some straight away when their troops are divided — either by directly neighbouring them or forced march later on. I used that a lot while playing as Brandenburg/Prussia, since you're surrounded by OPM-s who don't always have forts.

You can always use geography strategically when it matters, too. Blocking important straits is something you pointed out before, and the great example of it can be Danish Seeland. However, if you're on the other end — trying to assault such a fort — don't resign prematurely. Yesterday I declared war on the Ottomans and although they had a fleet in the Marmara Sea, I was able to bait them out from there and quickly pass through with the help of forced march. Baltic is less spacious, but nonetheless you could give it a shot if you've got some vessels in the east.

The said war vs the almighty Kebabini I still won decisively despite being outnumbered two to one. There were a couple of contributing factors — they were already at war with Russia to the north of Pontic Steppe, when I attacked from the Balkans, their army had less morale and worse composition, and their forts were all at level 2. Even if they came to me, which they eventually did, I'd be able to capitalise on rapid early gains and back off in needed, still securing numerous provinces in a peace deal. Circumstances and determinants like these should all be taking into account, as you oftentimes can abuse your stronger opponent's difficult position.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

pecelot wrote:Peacing out minor powers is a go-to in the vast majority of wars

Mistake. I don't agree at all and it's a bad strategy. Look at my screenshot and say I'd attack Castile and its allies, weaker England and Friesland. I would absolutely invade Castile from two sides first to paralyze the main enemy, then start separate peacing the minors. If you let Castile prepare while you're invading irrelevant small states, it will build up to its force limit and gather its armies and make your war much harder than it needs to be.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:

Mistake. I don't agree at all and it's a bad strategy. Look at my screenshot and say I'd attack Castile and its allies, weaker England and Friesland. I would absolutely invade Castile from two sides first to paralyze the main enemy, then start separate peacing the minors. If you let Castile prepare while you're invading irrelevant small states, it will build up to its force limit and gather its armies and make your war much harder than it needs to be.

id usually try to peace out allies asap aswell. Ofc not always, but as a rule of thumb its certainly the go to strat.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, of course it depends. I'm battling with the Ottomans now, who are allied to Tunis and some minor Arabic countries in the east, and of course I go for the former first to get as much as possible, and only then do I make a trip to Tunisian capital to try to peace them out.

The thing about getting opponent's weaker allies out of the war is that, well, they're no longer in it, meaning you don't have to worry about them and their army, which in turn later translates to numbers advantage on your side. I've made such a mistake a couple of times in my first campaigns — I'd go for the enemy leader, but couldn't make a satisfactory peace deal, so then I'd go for their allies, but in the meantime they'd regain the provinces I already occupied and the whole initial effort would be wasted.

Of course it's situational, but in the vast majority of my games I chose „my” strategy and it paid off pretty much every time. :hmm:

Edit: the opposite can also be applied to the situation when you're only interested in gains from the war leader which you can't defeat entirely due to their power or geography (blocked straits), in which case letting their minions stay in combat, even after totally annihilated, increases the war score. :chinese:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:

Is it good to split your forces like that though vs a powerful enemy? Let's say you have 100k and Castille has 80k. If you split 50-50 isn't there a chance you get caught by the 80k? Usually I try to keep my forces together and the enemy is the one who divides up; in your case I would totally abandon the south and hope Castille sends some troops there. Then kill the northern troops, and then the southern troops are trapped there and it should be relatively easy to catch them too.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

ovi12 wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:

Is it good to split your forces like that though vs a powerful enemy? Let's say you have 100k and Castille has 80k. If you split 50-50 isn't there a chance you get caught by the 80k? Usually I try to keep my forces together and the enemy is the one who divides up; in your case I would totally abandon the south and hope Castille sends some troops there. Then kill the northern troops, and then the southern troops are trapped there and it should be relatively easy to catch them too.

Yes, because Castile won't have 80k in one stack. I can run on one side if necessary and retreat to the mountains (Fez) while invading from the north, or take a good fight when Castile's troops are also split. Invading from multiple angles is often better if you have an escape route ready. The southern troops won't be trapped because Castile's navy is stronger than mine at the moment, so giving the south up would be useless. Besides, the south has some nice mountain forts that I can use to let Castile incur combat penalties.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

It also depends, I've seen France or the Ottomans walking with stacks of 70 thousand troops, which are quite dangerous. Strategy presented above definitely sounds right, especially taken into consideration navies and strength and geographical position of Castillian allies — however, I'm of the opinion that in this matter there's no rule of thumb. If it's 50/50, then I'd rather not split my armies, unless I'm quite confident or have forced march available and the distance is not that large.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

ovi12 wrote:Question: How much stronger opponents should you, as a human player, be able to beat 1v1? For example, should you be able to beat a country with twice the army? Also, what sort of strategies do you use to win?

For me, if there are multiple opponents I often leave my country undefended and go full on for each ally, peacing them out separately with money+war reparations.
If the countries are really close together and I cannot do the above strat, I wait for them to attack my forts and and the attack.
If I have no forts in the region I just shadow the enemy armies, hoping to either attack small fragments of it or get them to attack me.

Any advice?

you can usually win opponents 2 times stronger than you. depending on what mil tech you have if you have well positioned mountain fortress etc. heres a screenshot of a coalition war ( which i started ) that i just won. Army size was 4: 1 in opponents favour at the start.
Attachments
20180810212325_1.jpg
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

lordraphael wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Question: How much stronger opponents should you, as a human player, be able to beat 1v1? For example, should you be able to beat a country with twice the army? Also, what sort of strategies do you use to win?

Any advice?

you can usually win opponents 2 times stronger than you. depending on what mil tech you have if you have well positioned mountain fortress etc. heres a screenshot of a coalition war ( which i started ) that i just won. Army size was 4: 1 in opponents favour at the start.

So just hang out in your country and try to take battles only when they attack your forts?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

if your opponent is divided, you should abuse that and blitzkrieg little countries that are no threat initially but can snowball into a huge army — this is a big advantage of actually starting a war rather than having it declared on you, since you can position your armies as you wish; I'd assume that's at least partially what Raphael did, as you can see in the battle screen :smile:
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

ovi12 wrote:
lordraphael wrote:

Any advice?

So just hang out in your country and try to take battles only when they attack your forts?

I always try to do it like this: if i cant peace out opponents due to punitive war etc. I have 1 or 2 stack sieging shit while the rest defends and makes sure you dont get carpet sieged, tries to stackwipe smaller armys etc. If theres a big stack of enemys sieging an important province (capital strategic fort etc ) i comeback with all my troops and break the siege then i immediatly try to siege as many provinces as i can.

In that war pezet was right. I did first kill irish minors. I I had 4 k losses to 30 k kills in the first months due to that. However what i hadnt anticiapted was that id be heavily outnumbered in ships during the war. So 25 k of my 48 k was stuck on fucking ireland. While burgundy austria etc was sieging my lands. Took quite a bit of planning to win that:)
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Started a game as France today. Not much progress was made but it's not 1500 yet so there's still time. No personal unions or vassals, alliances with Castile, Bohemia, and Brandenburg (latter two both rivals of Austria, my rival)

i took up the challenge and tried to beat your game.@Mr_Bramboy Forced a PU over Aragon and Naples at 1470 by changing my dynasty to trastamara. Also was able to finally get the big blue blob achievement at 1490. No Burgundian inheritance happened.
Attachments
20180816222716_1.jpg
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Dharma coming up tomorrow! Who are you going to play? As the DLC is focused on India, my pick will most likely be LĂĽbeck :ugly:
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

pecelot wrote:Dharma coming up tomorrow! Who are you going to play? As the DLC is focused on India, my pick will most likely be LĂĽbeck :ugly:

I think I'm gonna give Vyjijanagar/Vaginagar a try
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Indija je Srbija
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

I don't wanna buy this dlc.. But I'll buy it inevitably so I might just buy it right on release. I guess I'll try timis into mughals first
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I'm probably not going to buy the DLC, unless on a huge discount, as I've bought some already in the past months and it's... enough. I'm excited for the patch, though!
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

I'll just pirate it kek
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Pirating sucks. Used to do it but it's not worth it imo
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

It's not worth it to pay shitton of money for me, for a game I barely find time for nowadays.