Nuggets of wisdom

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Nuggets of wisdom

Post by Gendarme »

Share with the rest of us the best pieces of wisdom, enlightenment, and insight you have encountered.

"If you don't believe in the innate unreasonableness of human beings, just try raising children." - Thomas Sowell

I saw this quote just today, and it reflects on something I have been thinking about time and again over the past years. Our inclination to thoughtlessly judge the actions of others is a natural phenomenon, and it requires us to be blind—at least in that very moment—to the fact that the human brain is a computer, a unique computer, even when compared to its old self—however recent. With experience we have come to understand and accept their nature of malfunctioning during periods of intoxication, but even then I occasionally find myself annoyed, and perhaps even angry, with the behavior of my drunk peers. The true enlightenment lies in the insight that even in the absence of alcohol I find myself annoyed and angry with the words and behavior of others—online and in person—only because they do not, and more importantly are unable to, function as I expect them to. I was very aggressive during disagreements in my teenage years, frustrated with mere differences in opinion. These days I find myself composed at all times and can let my mind journey into hostile land. Ask yourself: Would you would be able to have a discussion with a psychopathic serial murderer who intends to explain and justify his actions? Can you inhibit your resentment and to try to get under his skin?

I wanted to share a few more nuggets in this post, but my comment turned out way longer than I initially intended so I'll leave 'em to another post.
Pay more attention to detail.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Re: Nuggets of wisdom

Post by Googol »

@hleung

hleung edit: :hmm:
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

"Fuck anyone who hates me"

A great piece of advice, and a motto that I try to live my life by.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I frequently find myself in situations, where I know I should just walk away and forget about it, but I can't.
It happens quite often on ESOC and I once made a thread about it. A great thread.

I, XeeleeFlower, edited this post since it contained some bait.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It takes practice, but you need to be willing to put in the effort. The freedom you eventually get is worth the mental effort to keep yourself disciplined.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Another great nugget of wisdom

"There's a lot of things in life that don't make shenshe... Prank cawlsh, and thingsh like that"
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

"Don't eat hotdogs, all they are is lips and assholes" from my wise father and I have not had another hot dog in 25 years.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Posting things that are obvious bait will ensure either modification or deletion of your posts.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Damn it. I excitedly opened the thread to see your nugget. The disappointment is overwhelming.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Gendarme wrote:Damn it. I excitedly opened the thread to see your nugget. The disappointment is overwhelming.
If you always expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

As an intellectual wizard I always expect the outcome with the highest probability.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Post by VinyanyĂ©rĂ« »

Gendarme wrote:As an intellectual wizard I always expect the outcome with the highest probability.

I always expect an average of the outcomes weighted by their probabilities.
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanenya wrote:
Gendarme wrote:As an intellectual wizard I always expect the outcome with the highest probability.

And yet you couldn't help me with my intro level statistics homework
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanenya wrote:

Duck is luckless.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Duck is luckless.

You actually did help a little, so thank you for that (and no thanks to duck and his apparently useless math degree)
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

@Vinyanyérë What kind of math degree do you have? I'm working on a bachelor's in math right now.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoï»ż
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

ovi12 wrote:@Vinyanyérë What kind of math degree do you have? I'm working on a bachelor's in math right now.

A shitty, useless one apparently
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by VinyanyĂ©rĂ« »

ovi12 wrote:@Vinyanyérë What kind of math degree do you have? I'm working on a bachelor's in math right now.

I don't technically have a math degree, it's a second major added on to my degree in electrical and computer engineering. Informally, I focused in mathematical analysis. I also did a lot of probability, but it was generally in the context of an EE topic (e.g. digital communications or error-correcting codes).
duck
imo
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Vinyanenya wrote:

I don't technically have a math degree, it's a second major added on to my degree in electrical and computer engineering. Informally, I focused in mathematical analysis. I also did a lot of probability, but it was generally in the context of an EE topic (e.g. digital communications or error-correcting codes).

Ah that's interesting, I would've thought computer science is a lot more of the discrete type of math, but I guess computer engineering and EE makes more sense with analysis. How far did you get into analysis?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoï»ż
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

ovi12 wrote:
Vinyanenya wrote:

Ah that's interesting, I would've thought computer science is a lot more of the discrete type of math, but I guess computer engineering and EE makes more sense with analysis. How far did you get into analysis?

Not far enough
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by VinyanyĂ©rĂ« »

ovi12 wrote:
Vinyanenya wrote:

I did a little bit in formal logic and linear algebra (and then a bunch more linear algebra in grad school). I got through Baby Rudin minus a couple of chapters at the end in undergrad. That was after about four consecutive semesters in which I took a mathematical analysis course (we went through Rudin in the latter two), so after that point I had gotten a bit tired of analysis. Are you looking to focus in this area as well?
duck
imo
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

"The limits of my language means the limits of my world." Ludwig Wittgenstein

This one is explaining how important the language and the vocabulary are to understand the world. "Understand the world" could also imply "being clever" in some extent. In a society flooded by poor and easy english words in a lot of countries, reading books is probably one of the best resistance versus globalization, because you push the "boundaries of the world you understand" a bit further. It also reminds me a lot 1984 where basically the language has the smallest vocabulary in the world, and so people get stupid as fuck and totally unable to think about something that would cope with the dictature
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Great one, @Rikikipu! <3 That is certainly one of the things I have held dear for many a year and still continue to. Limiting your ability to convey your thoughts and the ability of others to understand your words is a recipe for intellectual subjugation—the first step to losing our freedoms. Language facilitates communication, but also thought. Very rarely do we ponder over things which are not defined, and almost never do we discover new logical circuits, but we can easily refer to already discovered ones. Preserving our body of knowledge and logic is of the utmost importance.