Nuggets of wisdom

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Re: Nuggets of wisdom

Post by Snuden »

Be prepared, but not too prepared

Sex between two people for the first time can be awkward enough and you certainly don't want to introduce further awkwardness by fumbling around like a Corporal with a box of condoms. Below is a few do's and don'ts...

Just kidding, I aint got a clue how to make it less awkward. :hmm:
[Sith] - Baphomet
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Vinyanenya wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Ah that's interesting, I would've thought computer science is a lot more of the discrete type of math, but I guess computer engineering and EE makes more sense with analysis. How far did you get into analysis?

I did a little bit in formal logic and linear algebra (and then a bunch more linear algebra in grad school). I got through Baby Rudin minus a couple of chapters at the end in undergrad. That was after about four consecutive semesters in which I took a mathematical analysis course (we went through Rudin in the latter two), so after that point I had gotten a bit tired of analysis. Are you looking to focus in this area as well?
mad cuz bad
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Vinyanenya wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Ah that's interesting, I would've thought computer science is a lot more of the discrete type of math, but I guess computer engineering and EE makes more sense with analysis. How far did you get into analysis?

I did a little bit in formal logic and linear algebra (and then a bunch more linear algebra in grad school). I got through Baby Rudin minus a couple of chapters at the end in undergrad. That was after about four consecutive semesters in which I took a mathematical analysis course (we went through Rudin in the latter two), so after that point I had gotten a bit tired of analysis. Are you looking to focus in this area as well?

Hey sorry I kept wanting to respond to this but forgot.

Yeah I am starting to become more interested in analysis/ statistics. So far I've done most of the first 7 chapters of Rudin (until the sequences of functions chapter) and then the first 2.5 chapters of Stein and Sakarachi book on Lebesgue integration.

Before I took abstract algebra I thought I would be an algebra guy since I loved number theory and combinatorics. However, now after two semesters there is nothing I despise more than abstract algebra; I think it's mainly because of the book I have to use though, the worst book written in history, Abstract Algebra by Dummit and Foote. I know many people like it but I want to literarly throw it in the fire. Let me know if you ever take abstract algebra since I've got a lot to say about the various books.

My dream used to be to get a PhD and do research in math; however, there is so much competition for those jobs, it's very hard to do research, it's not paid as well as industry, and I don't really want to stay another 5 years in school living those $20,000 a year salary, so I'm really tempted to just getting a masters in statistics and go into industry.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

n0el wrote:
Vinyanenya wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Responded to this just above
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

What little people try to find in others, great people find in themselves. - This quote is from Confucius but it exists in many different ways in other philosophies.

And recently I've come to realise that: arguments only convince people that they're right, rather than convince people that they are wrong.

So I only debate now to sharpen the argument. If you want to change people's minds, you don't need convincing arguments or facts. You need an appealing/shocking narrative.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

They are called aphorisms

And as far as aphorisms go Bokononist ones are the best