An introduction to the greatest strategy game ever invented

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: An introduction to the greatest strategy game ever invented

Post by Goodspeed »

Edited this very cool visualization of how stones influence the board into the OP

Apparently this CGS (Color Go Server) is a new server in development, to be released somewhere this year https://www.uncommongames.net/en/color-go-server-en/
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I played about 40-50 games a year or so back (all 9*9) and got frustrated by the fact that I kept losing my whole structure when I had one section and my opponent was split up. I felt like I was playing better, but I kept losing because I couldn't make life.

Thinking of playing a bit now, where can I find some basic principles to follow?
I think my other problem is knowing how to play the moves preceding the immediate life and death situation, because I don't understand the principles.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

*70 games a year and a half to two years ago
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I also find it hard to find life in 9x9, that's why 17x17 or 19x19 is probably better.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Maybe I will start playing some 19x19
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:I played about 40-50 games a year or so back (all 9*9) and got frustrated by the fact that I kept losing my whole structure when I had one section and my opponent was split up. I felt like I was playing better, but I kept losing because I couldn't make life.

Thinking of playing a bit now, where can I find some basic principles to follow?
I think my other problem is knowing how to play the moves preceding the immediate life and death situation, because I don't understand the principles.
Life & death is a lot about recognizing shapes, but first you need to understand what makes a group alive ("2 eyes"). If you don't yet, below video might help.
Once you understand what makes a group alive and start recognizing life & death shapes, you will "automatically" also learn how to avoid the bad ones.

A great way to practice life & death is by doing puzzles (aka "tsumego"). This puzzle set is nice because it contains explanations: https://online-go.com/puzzle/2625

Anyway, if you played 50+ games of 9x9, I would definitely try to move on to bigger boards. You can try 13x13 first or immediately skip to 19x19, which is the standard board size. Don't expect to do well ;)
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Though I already understood most of the video, it was worth watching for that bit about shared life at the end. I found that interesting. I played a 19*19 and enjoyed the greater conflict of interests, with less of the game being focussed on local conflicts.
Thanks for the puzzles link, I've seen so many but am not sure which are best, so thank you for the recommendation @Goodspeed .
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:Though I already understood most of the video, it was worth watching for that bit about shared life at the end. I found that interesting. I played a 19*19 and enjoyed the greater conflict of interests, with less of the game being focussed on local conflicts.
Yeah 19x19 is much more strategic, and more fun imo. 9x9 almost doesn't feel like Go to me, because there is only one fight and you don't really run into the quintessential Go choice of having to pick the biggest move globally instead of just locally.
But 9x9 is still a good place to start. A big board is quite intimidating to beginners.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

I actually won my first 3 games due to one player resigning quite early and two players disconnecting! This was my first full game, which was enjoyable but very intense. (It was 20 mins with 30 second byo yomi)
Aside from missing a couple of attari, I felt like my opponent won because he managed to neutralise my threats whilst gaining influence over other areas of the board better than me. What did I do well, what are one or two ideas I could think about for the future?
https://online-go.com/game/view/23562568
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You actually did a lot of things right, the game looked completely hopeless for white after the opening (not just due to the handicap). You made big moves instead of responding to his nonsensical stuff. Unfortunately those missed ataris were game-changers. But that will come with practice. It's a good sign that you seem to have a much better grasp on strategy than most beginners.

Added some comments and variations to moves that I thought were worth highlighting. (Moves with blue circles around them have comments)
https://online-go.com/review/473279

Referenced this video in the review, might as well post here cause it's fun: https://www.reddit.com/r/badukshitposting/comments/g61sc1/ghana_says_goodbye_go_blunders_edition/
Even good players (well, better than me at least) miss ataris sometimes ;)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Btw I highly recommend browsing /r/badukshitposting's top posts for people who play the game. https://www.reddit.com/r/badukshitposting/top/?t=all

This is me:
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Thanks for the insights @Goodspeed . I enjoyed reading your comments, and your manner was very kind and friendly which I appreciate a lot. I also had some fun watching the vido and scrolling through the reddit page: thank you for the links.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Need ideas on how to convince you guys to play (more) Go. Please make suggestions
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

First stop trying to be egoistic and/or stubborn. Second consider people and their opinion not just how they and/or games they play suck.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

You should be more egoistic and stubborn and not try to consider people's opinions ngl
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Goodspeed wrote:Need ideas on how to convince you guys to play (more) Go. Please make suggestions
Bribe Cambridge examiners so I don't have to revise for my test.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

princeofcarthage wrote:First stop trying to be egoistic and/or stubborn. Second consider people and their opinion not just how they and/or games they play suck.
You ok?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Goodspeed wrote:Need ideas on how to convince you guys to play (more) Go. Please make suggestions
I think you do a good job as is. Are you the cult leader of goastrianism?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Goodspeed wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:First stop trying to be egoistic and/or stubborn. Second consider people and their opinion not just how they and/or games they play suck.
You ok?
Well you are always arguing about how games other people play are stupid or suck and how many better alternatives are there. While I don't particularly disagree with you, you often come out as you think you know all while rest are stupid. I think sometimes its just the phrasing or the way you say gives a bit of an insulting impression.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
You ok?
Well you are always arguing about how games other people play are stupid or suck and how many better alternatives are there
Yeah sometimes I like to trigger people, and that's a failproof way to do it. I don't know how people manage to take me seriously and get personally offended when I say Chess is bad, though. It's so obviously not. Anyway that has happened twice by my count, so "always" seems overstating things.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

elitism in board games is almost as immoral as a single age of empires 3 balance entity
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Well you are always arguing about how games other people play are stupid or suck and how many better alternatives are there
Yeah sometimes I like to trigger people, and that's a failproof way to do it. That has happened twice though by my count, so "always" seems overstating things. I don't know how people manage to take me seriously and get personally offended when I say Chess is bad, though. It's so obviously not.
Don't backpedal, embrace the fact that you're annoying people. It's fun and good
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:elitism in board games is almost as immoral as a single age of empires 3 balance entity
A what?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
deleted_user wrote:elitism in board games is almost as immoral as a single age of empires 3 balance entity
A what?
Dude cringe tbh ngl