Life Tip of the Day 8: Make your own pasta

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Life Tip of the Day 8: Make your own pasta

Post by fightinfrenchman »

So you've probably all made pasta that you bought at the store. It's very cheap, and super easy: just boil a bunch of water, then throw in the pasta for around 10-12 minutes, then drain it. Couldn't be easier, right?

Well, you're right. But there's a longer and more complicated way to accomplish essentially the same task. Last year on a mostly-sober whim I bought a pasta machine, which basically helps you make pasta by rolling the dough thinner and thinner until you can roll it through the shaper to make spaghetti, fettucini, or whatever else it comes with.

Anyway, so for the dough you really don't need much more then semolina flour and eggs, maybe a bit of olive oil. There are plenty of tutorials online (check out YouTube) on how to make your own pasta. But you can add your own flavors here too which is nice, which you can't do so easily with store bought ones. It's an interesting thing to experiment with.

Anyway, it's a fun activity if you enjoy cooking and have a kitchen that has some room in it (mine doesn't but I did this in somebody else's kitchen). Basically you will be spending a lot more time on the pasta and not really saving much money (if any at all) and the taste will be essentially the same, but at least you can say you made your own pasta (disclaimer: you can also say you made your own pasta even if you didn't, nobody will know unless they live with you and watched you make the store-bought kind).

If you've ever made your own pasta post it in the comments below. If not, explain why you haven't.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: Life Tip of the Day 8: Make your own pasta

Post by evilcheadar »

i ate this man's pasta, both in times when he truthfully made it himself, and when he has not
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

evilcheadar wrote:i ate this man's pasta, both in times when he truthfully made it himself, and when he has not
And your verdict is?
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nah
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Not worth the time invested. I had lasagna one time made that way but was not overly impressed. For spaghetti it is straight to the pack of vermicelli. Spend all that time on making pizza dough, it is so much more worth it.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

I agree. Pizza dough or go home.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Gendarme wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:i ate this man's pasta, both in times when he truthfully made it himself, and when he has not
And your verdict is?

Scott
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums