What do you think about Alex Jones' recent social media ban?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: What do you think about Alex Jones' recent social media ban?

Post by fightinfrenchman »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:I work out in it, either on foot or in this small little box van with no a/c just a little fan lol. Good ole usps

Sorry to hear that
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
DjinnOfSorrow wrote:I work out in it, either on foot or in this small little box van with no a/c just a little fan lol. Good ole usps

Sorry to hear that

It is what it is, I have worked hotter jobs. I do not miss burner duty. Let me put it this way, the glass and carbon was still molten when you opened the door to scrap it clean. 3 feet wide 8 feet long and 16 inches deep of pure molten scrap that had to be cleaned weekly. Then you could go cool off in the press room where ambient temps were only 220 degrees but you had to keep on all your heavy flame retardant gear just in case.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

umeu wrote:They don't because they prefer: deytukurjubzzz

It's funny how amsel still refuses to get that freedom of speech doesn't mean obligation of acceptance. Just because you have a right to sell bullshit doesn't mean i have to buy it. Or stick atound. Or talk to you. If you don't like someone, the universal general response is to disassociate yourself from that person. How can you think that is problematic is beyond me.

And actually threatening to fire is a use of force. Not all force comes from violence, in fact it usually doesn't. Companies can restrict players/employees dresscode, and also certain behaviour including speech when it's related to work. But that should be made clear in the contract before signing.

Disassociation is different from harassment and censorship. Coordinated censorship aimed at attacking "politically incorrect" people isn't the same as ignoring someone. It's getting even worse because the internet is getting increasingly centralized. At first it was very decentralized; you didn't need any legal protections back then because it was easy to just not use a website. But now just a handful of companies represent a staggering portion of internet traffic. It's not like there's any real alternative to these websites. No one is able to compete with YouTube for the simple reason that there's no reason for there to be more than one internet video website. Even if a website does take off, Cloudflare and Microsoft have shown their willingness to shut down websites they dislike. There's just no winning for the people on the wrong end of this censorship.

I think this is exactly the kind of situation where the government is supposed to step in, not just in the name of consumer protection, but for national well-being. We simply cannot afford to hand a small group of private companies the power to suffocate enemies into conformance.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Sure, I agree with you on that. But that's not what you said initially. You were talking about firing and unfriending. As well as, I assume, blacklisting and harrassment by the local community.

You the proceed to ask: whats holding this person back from committing violence.

It's a good question. I wonder if you've asked this question not just about people pushed to the fringes for being racist, but also about those for having a different religion/culture/looks.

I agree with you that public witch hunts and crusades against certain groups seem unlikely to solve any problem, instead will just make it worse in some cases. I made this point plenty of times in the other thread, yet you didn't seem appreciative of it then. What changed? The target group?

Nonetheless, when someone willfully and knowingly spreads misinformation, with political intentions, then it's perhaps time to talk about limits of providing a platform. Of course the hypocricy is that this has become so normalised, especially in some political climates, that you'd have to shut down more than one person. And of course there's the question of who get's to make that decision.