Offensive Joke Discussion

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Offensive Joke Discussion

Post by deleted_user0 »

Can I make an offensive joke about that, or is it too soon?
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

umeu wrote:Can I make an offensive joke about that, or is it too soon?
Making fun of people who just died isn't offensive, it's being a hero by fighting taboos! You should join our superhero team: Really Angry Citizens Ignoring Silly Taboos
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@Gendarme Did you get a chance to check this out yet?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

XeeleeFlower wrote:What I am saying is that making light of traumas can give the appearance of detachment from the realities of the world and a disconnect from humanity as a whole. If there weren't fucked up shit still happening, then perhaps making jokes of things that happened in the past would be appropriate. As it is now, there are still people who are racist, sexist, extremists, rapists, murders, etc.
I think you are using "trauma" too lightly here, but more on that further down.

It probably does give that appearance to an extent, although I think it is primarily due to people being indoctrinated to take offense to certain things regardless of context. As Djigit pointed out, certain things are taboo to a radical extent. This outrage simply doesn't exist when the context is about horrendous acts like pedophilia, rape, or genocide in general—only in arbitrary specific cases. However, this does not really matter for me personally in any case. Even if everything was taboo'd to an equal extreme extent I would still fight it despite appearing to be "detached from humanity"; that is a sacrifice I am generally willing to make for the greater good.

XeeleeFlower wrote:By making jokes about these things, it normalizes them and diminishes the experiences of those who are/were/will be affected by it.
Not really. You underestimate the moral compass of your peers. People are not that easily swayed by jokes. Rape and murder will be equally wrong even if every single person in the world joked about it on a regular basis. People may appear to be detached from humanity to you, but they really aren't. Perhaps you are.

XeeleeFlower wrote:There's an argument that is basically, "well, by normalizing it, it actually helps people because they just become desensitized to it." Humans just don't work this way. The majority don't anyway.
You have misunderstood this argument completely. The idea is not to call black people niggers to empower them. The idea is to make use of the term—in any context—so that people (not just black people) who are shocked and upset by the mere usage of it learn to not be. It does work, and in addition it gives rise to discussions where these matters are brought to light and people get a greater understanding of each other and these issues.

XeeleeFlower wrote:Things just become internalized and there's more internal pain because what someone went through apparently doesn't matter. Their experiences are invalidated and guilt appears. Most people just want to be understood. Making light of things isn't understanding, it's shaming - you should feel this way, not the way you currently feel.

What I meant by coping is that people have different ways of coping with situations, thus respond in different ways to them. Some people cope by avoiding, others by facing things head on, others by focusing on solutions, others by humor, etc. How one copes with things, along with their experiences, affects how they respond to a possibly offensive joke. While one person may have been a victim of some trauma and they are able to laugh at something, this doesn't mean that another individual who had a similar trauma will. Person A may cope with things differently than person B.

I feel that there's a time and place for these types of jokes, such as when you're with a group of friends who all understand one another and intentions. An online forum for AoE3 where people from all over the world and with all different varying experiences in life corresponding/lurking with varying degrees of anonymity isn't the place for it. While we're a small community, we aren't small enough to truly know everyone and their thoughts, feelings, and intentions. There are also many lurkers. There are other online places to share such jokes.
In a setting where you know there is a victim of rape you would probably refrain from even mentioning rape—even if it is not a joke—because rape is an extremely traumatizing event and you don't want to remind them of it. It has nothing to do with you being offensive or them being offended. Most things are not traumatizing, though. There are plenty of people all across the world who have relatives that have suffered from cancer, heart attacks, and car crashes. Jokes about these things do not traumatize people, nor are they generally offensive in nature. It may be saddening to be reminded of your son that died in cancer when someone tells a cancer joke, but if you retaliate with something along the lines of "My son fucking died in cancer. Cancer is not a joke. Fuck off." it is not due to your sadness, but the fact that you have learned to be upset by cancer jokes just for the sake of it.

Trauma is a problem, but it is really irrelevant to this discussion. Even if it wasn't, you cannot predict what will and will not revive a traumatic memory for someone reading your post. As a simple example, an innocent post about the Iraq war could remind someone here of their father who died in combat. I assure you most people here aren't traumatized by nazi jokes but they sure do act offended, and it sure as hell is not out of empathy for a potential someone who may be traumatized by the jokes.

XeeleeFlower wrote:Of course, for some people, sharing the "jokes" are simply a desire to evoke some sort of strong reaction. Why? I have a couple ideas as to why, but this post is already long enough.
Please do share your ideas.

You are correct, though. Upsetting people can be highly entertaining, especially if they are being upset over silly things. That is the whole reason this emote exists: :salt:
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Gendarme wrote:It probably does give that appearance to an extent, although I think it is primarily due to people being indoctrinated to take offense to certain things regardless of context. As Djigit pointed out, certain things are taboo to a radical extent. This outrage simply doesn't exist when the context is about horrendous acts like pedophilia, rape, or genocide in general—only in arbitrary specific cases.
It does exist in those situations. I don't feel that people have been indoctrinated to take offense regardless of context. If someone has had bad shit happen in their life, but are with a group of friends who they trust, I feel that they would be able to overlook, perhaps even laugh at, jokes that could otherwise be offensive if they heard them from some random person. It's often not necessarily the joke itself (though of course that plays a role), it's more of the intention behind it. Sometimes humor can even heal, but it really depends on a lot of different factors, such as feeling safe and understood.

However, this does not really matter for me personally in any case. Even if everything was taboo'd to an equal extreme extent I would still fight it despite appearing to be "detached from humanity"; that is a sacrifice I am generally willing to make for the greater good.
You say that it's a sacrifice for you, but it's really not. Sacrificing means that you're giving up something, but to you, you really aren't. You appreciate dark humor, you enjoy evoking strong reactions, thus you engage in it and laugh along with it. Sacrificing would mean that you don't engage in/with these things, but appreciate it. You're not even sacrificing attachment to humanity because you don't feel that you are detached. There are also plenty of places and individuals, particularly online, whereby you can connect with those who are like minded.

What is this "greater good" that you reference? Is it the ability to say whatever, whenever, and however? This isn't greater good. It's insensitivity. Sure, we could argue the subjectivity of "greater good". Greater good to me is maximizing the happiness of all with minimal harm. It's trying to understand one another and help each other. I'm all in favor of free speech, but there are ramifications for said speech.

You underestimate the moral compass of your peers. People are not that easily swayed by jokes. Rape and murder will be equally wrong even if every single person in the world joked about it on a regular basis.
It's not about if things are wrong. Of course there are moral absolutes in society. It's about how individuals perceive things. For example, there have been many research articles, studies, and papers showing that when people are exposed to jokes about rape, women begin to feel worse about themselves and men begin to view rape as being okay and normal. This is what I meant by my term "normalizing" and how it diminishes the experience(s) of those affected by it. This scope isn't limited to rape jokes, but it encompasses all sorts of discriminatory jokes. I don't feel that I underestimate other individual's morality. If anything, I overestimate it which is why I am often disappointed by people. But that's a whole other topic.

People may appear to be detached from humanity to you, but they really aren't. Perhaps you are.
It's possible. I'm curious as to why you would think this. Perhaps expound upon this thought via pm on discord since it's not really relevant to this discussion. Of course you can do so here, but I feel that it would lead down a rabbit hole and the original discussion would get lost. Alternatively, create a new thread "humanity and attachment".

The idea is not to call black people niggers to empower them. The idea is to make use of the term—in any context—so that people (not just black people) who are shocked and upset by the mere usage of it learn to not be. It does work, and in addition it gives rise to discussions where these matters are brought to light and people get a greater understanding of each other and these issues.
It doesn't work. See above as well as what I said previously. It doesn't give rise to discussions. Why not just have a discussion without resorting to shock tactics? You would receive a better response by asking and discussing things with the intent to learn than simply typing out words that you know will evoke a strong feeling.

In a setting where you know there is a victim of rape you would probably refrain from even mentioning rape—even if it is not a joke—because rape is an extremely traumatizing event and you don't want to remind them of it.
This is actually something that I really appreciate about you. You don't make light of rape, nor have I read anything such as "I raped my opponent" from you. This isn't applicable to many people though, particularly in games. Many people say that "it's just a phrase" "it's a joke" "get over it" without trying to understand the other side.

Most things are not traumatizing, though. There are plenty of people all across the world who have relatives that have suffered from cancer, heart attacks, and car crashes. Jokes about these things do not traumatize people, nor are they generally offensive in nature. It may be saddening to be reminded of your son that died in cancer when someone tells a cancer joke, but if you retaliate with something along the lines of "My son fucking died in cancer. Cancer is not a joke. Fuck off." it is not due to your sadness, but the fact that you have learned to be upset by cancer jokes just for the sake of it.
Things can be traumatizing to one individual, but not to another. It depends on a lot of factors. Flashbacks can occur. But sure, let's assume that most people aren't necessarily traumatized by these things, rather are saddened by them. People aren't upset at the jokes because they learned to be. They're upset because it reminds them and it's something saddening to them. Most people don't want to be upset just for the sake of it. I personally don't like reading things like "what a cancer game" "this playstyle is cancerous" etc not because I'm offended, but because it makes me think of all the people who have died of cancer, are dying of cancer, and their families. It depresses me. I didn't learn this. I don't like to be upset. I can't help the way I feel. I can, however, choose my reaction, which is to simply ignore it even though I suddenly feel a little worse than I did. Continually seeing/hearing it doesn't make it any better for me. I want to be clear that I'm not saying that people shouldn't say this and that it's wrong. I'm simply saying that I personally don't gain any pleasure from it; rather, I lose some; and it's not something I learned, rather, it's just how I feel.

Trauma is a problem, but it is really irrelevant to this discussion. Even if it wasn't, you cannot predict what will and will not revive a traumatic memory for someone reading your post.
Trauma is relevant because what may seem like a simple joke to you can cause a lot of harm to an individual. Of course you can't predict how each person will feel. These people also cannot know what your intention is unless you specifically say it, of course. Thus, this is why I said that there's a time and place for such things, such as with a group of people who all understand and trust each other and their intentions. This forum isn't really the place for it.

an innocent post about the Iraq war could remind someone here of their father who died in combat.
Of course it could, but its unlikely that the person would be offended by it. They may be saddened because of the memory, they may be pissed off because of the circumstances, but because said post is discussing a war as opposed to simply joking about lives lost, it's unlikely that it would evoke a strong negative offended feeling in them.

I assure you most people here aren't traumatized by nazi jokes but they sure do act offended, and it sure as hell is not out of empathy for a potential someone who may be traumatized by the jokes.
You can't know this, obviously.

I love intelligent dark humor. George Carlin is one of the few comedians that I actually thoroughly enjoy. He makes me laugh and cry. I feel that a lot of people can appreciate humor in taboo subjects. Most of the edgelord shit that's being passed off as dark humor today really isn't. It's simply unimaginative and mostly offensive. Much of it derives from people who actually think that way.

On this forum, where is the line drawn between joking and actually being offensive? It's a gray area and moderating it is often difficult. While I may understand an individual's intention, another user may not and subsequently gets offended and feels that a post breaks rule 9. Alternatively, an individual doesn't report anything at all and simply stops visiting the site and may even leave the community. As I said before: An online forum for AoE3 where people from all over the world and with all different varying experiences in life corresponding/lurking with varying degrees of anonymity isn't the place for it. While we're a small community, we aren't small enough to truly know everyone and their thoughts, feelings, and intentions. There are also many lurkers. There are other online places to share such jokes.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Imo there are no subjects that should be taboo to joke about. It’s all about the time, place and how it is done. For some subjects there are fewer “right” moments than there are for others.
If you have experienced some traumatizing event, you should expect your friends to not joke about it with or around you in a hurtful manner. If you go online or to a comedy show however, you can’t have those expectations, the comedian can’t consider every single person in the audience and what they may have been traumatized by, or what they may find offensive. Some jokes based on stereotypes are fine, problem occurs if they all favors one side and take up considerably much of the content.

Mostly jokes about Nazis are more about ridicule than normalizing their opinions.
In many cases jokes that are perceived as offensive are simply because that the person failed to understand it was irony. This come backs to the fact that you should be very careful with irony online, since it is much harder to judge whether a person was ironic or truly stated their opinion when you can’t see their face or hear their voice.

Overreactions to offensive use of words are also quite common. For example, we have a cookie here in Sweden that was previously called “Negerboll” (Negro Ball).
Due to possible racist connotations, this name has fallen out of favor in recent decades, with “Chokladboll” (Chocolate ball) now being the most commonly used name.
This is all fine, but when people (especially elderly, who have been saying “Negerboll” all their life) accidently uses that word when ordering some cookies, that is not a reason to start yelling racist or to throw them out of the shop.

There are also some people who always interpret things as negatively as they can and therefor also find themselves offended all the time. As extremists, they don't bring forth any more understanding or sympathy, but instead increased mistrust and frustration.

I don’t think Nazi or cancer jokes or whatever should be taboo to joke about, you must simply choose your time and place. Sadly, some people use the terms in a way that are in no way a joke but only out of context or pure offensive, for example:

"This game is cancer"
Cancer is a terrible disease and the word should not be used as a synonym for everything bad.

"I raped you so hard" (as a reference to beating someone in the game)
Rape is a terrible act and the word should not be used to positively promote your own dominance.

Or when people say a lot of offensive stuff to random people and then, when they get under an imminent threat of getting their face punched in, they say;
“It’s a joke, look there is a camera, it’s a joke!"
That you film it and call it a joke when confronted, doesn't make it a joke.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Because jokes are sincere generally, and when u make a joke how nazis make soap from jews it means you dont care and respect for their tradegy. If your father was killed like that you wouldnt laugh at it, because you would care it as a tradegic event. (btw i find this kind of jokes very funny) so people find it disrespectful.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
However, this does not really matter for me personally in any case. Even if everything was taboo'd to an equal extreme extent I would still fight it despite appearing to be "detached from humanity"; that is a sacrifice I am generally willing to make for the greater good.
You say that it's a sacrifice for you, but it's really not. Sacrificing means that you're giving up something, but to you, you really aren't. You appreciate dark humor, you enjoy evoking strong reactions, thus you engage in it and laugh along with it. Sacrificing would mean that you don't engage in/with these things, but appreciate it. You're not even sacrificing attachment to humanity because you don't feel that you are detached. There are also plenty of places and individuals, particularly online, whereby you can connect with those who are like minded.

What is this "greater good" that you reference? Is it the ability to say whatever, whenever, and however? This isn't greater good. It's insensitivity. Sure, we could argue the subjectivity of "greater good". Greater good to me is maximizing the happiness of all with minimal harm. It's trying to understand one another and help each other. I'm all in favor of free speech, but there are ramifications for said speech.
The sacrifice is that I get a lot of shit for the things that I say, of course. The fight for the greater good is the fight to protect of our rights and the retaliation against the destruction of the free world. Clearly you haven't noticed, but freedom of expression doesn't exist anymore. "Hate speech" laws have completely undermined the West, although USA to a lesser degree since the 1st Amendment holds its ground rather well. You do not notice the inescapable subversive propaganda by the politicians and MSM, and you do not see the persecution of those who stand against it, but that is the war I am fighting.

XeeleeFlower wrote:
The idea is not to call black people niggers to empower them. The idea is to make use of the term—in any context—so that people (not just black people) who are shocked and upset by the mere usage of it learn to not be. It does work, and in addition it gives rise to discussions where these matters are brought to light and people get a greater understanding of each other and these issues.
It doesn't work. See above as well as what I said previously. It doesn't give rise to discussions. Why not just have a discussion without resorting to shock tactics? You would receive a better response by asking and discussing things with the intent to learn than simply typing out words that you know will evoke a strong feeling.
It does work and very effectively so, and it does give rise to discussions. I have done it for years and I continue to do it. It is not "shock tactics"; it is a cure to the learned behavior to be shocked and lose all rationality.

XeeleeFlower wrote:
In a setting where you know there is a victim of rape you would probably refrain from even mentioning rape—even if it is not a joke—because rape is an extremely traumatizing event and you don't want to remind them of it.
This is actually something that I really appreciate about you. You don't make light of rape, nor have I read anything such as "I raped my opponent" from you. This isn't applicable to many people though, particularly in games. Many people say that "it's just a phrase" "it's a joke" "get over it" without trying to understand the other side.
Your appreciation is misplaced. I could easily say "I raped my opponent"; it just happens to not be in my vocabulary anymore. It is a metaphor, and it is not used to describe something nice, so it makes sense. Raping someone isn't nice; destroying someone isn't nice; dominating someone's ass isn't nice. A few days ago I raped @Sargsyan in a French mirror because he was a retard and used a cancerous build. You only do yourself a disservice by intentionally misinterpreting that sentence and subsequently getting mad at it. If cancer didn't suck, if rape didn't suck, if retardation didn't suck, that sentence wouldn't even make sense.

XeeleeFlower wrote:I personally don't like reading things like "what a cancer game" "this playstyle is cancerous" etc not because I'm offended, but because it makes me think of all the people who have died of cancer, are dying of cancer, and their families. It depresses me. I didn't learn this. I don't like to be upset. I can't help the way I feel. I can, however, choose my reaction, which is to simply ignore it even though I suddenly feel a little worse than I did. Continually seeing/hearing it doesn't make it any better for me. I want to be clear that I'm not saying that people shouldn't say this and that it's wrong. I'm simply saying that I personally don't gain any pleasure from it; rather, I lose some; and it's not something I learned, rather, it's just how I feel.
This applies to you. You are very unique in your incapability to not think about negative shit when the opportunity presents itself. Your omnipresent empathy is your demise, but it is only yours. You should not apply this to people in general. Almost no one feels the way you do. People don't get sad by those phrases.

XeeleeFlower wrote:
Trauma is a problem, but it is really irrelevant to this discussion. Even if it wasn't, you cannot predict what will and will not revive a traumatic memory for someone reading your post.
Trauma is relevant because what may seem like a simple joke to you can cause a lot of harm to an individual. Of course you can't predict how each person will feel. These people also cannot know what your intention is unless you specifically say it, of course. Thus, this is why I said that there's a time and place for such things, such as with a group of people who all understand and trust each other and their intentions. This forum isn't really the place for it.
"Such things" doesn't exist. Anything can evoke a sad memory.

XeeleeFlower wrote:
an innocent post about the Iraq war could remind someone here of their father who died in combat.
Of course it could, but its unlikely that the person would be offended by it. They may be saddened because of the memory, they may be pissed off because of the circumstances, but because said post is discussing a war as opposed to simply joking about lives lost, it's unlikely that it would evoke a strong negative offended feeling in them.
Now you are confusing sadness with offense again. You don't get to train yourself to be offended and then blame the world for your aggravation. Regarding sadness, see previous paragraph.

XeeleeFlower wrote:On this forum, where is the line drawn between joking and actually being offensive? It's a gray area and moderating it is often difficult. While I may understand an individual's intention, another user may not and subsequently gets offended and feels that a post breaks rule 9. Alternatively, an individual doesn't report anything at all and simply stops visiting the site and may even leave the community. As I said before: An online forum for AoE3 where people from all over the world and with all different varying experiences in life corresponding/lurking with varying degrees of anonymity isn't the place for it. While we're a small community, we aren't small enough to truly know everyone and their thoughts, feelings, and intentions. There are also many lurkers. There are other online places to share such jokes.
Let people be offended. Nurturing the snowflake mentality isn't a positive thing. There are rules against spam and going off-topic; that is enough to keep the forum functional. It is a very welcoming place for AoE3 players because no other website can come close to ESOC in terms of AoE3 content. It may not be welcoming to snowflakes, but neither is it welcoming to Ku Klux Klan members. Is that a bad thing?

I have grown a lot being upset by what people say online, and I keep exposing myself to such things. These days I almost never find myself aggravated or upset, despite being a minority opinion most of the time with insults constantly thrown my way. I know for a fact that there are several people who can say the same in this community, purely based on the kind of "offensive" things that have been said in The Hub. What you perceive as a horrible thing is actually a godsend. You are fighting the wrong thing. You are the one with negative emotions towards something that is not meant to be negative. We get along very well despite the rough language and insults thrown left and right. Open your mind.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Gendarme wrote:You do not notice the inescapable subversive propaganda by the politicians and MSM, and you do not see the persecution of those who stand against it, but that is the war I am fighting.

You dropped these ((( )))
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:

And what an ironclad soldier you are... Fighting a war, ay? With what army, oh General with delusions of grandeur... By which means do you propose to be the saviour, or God forbid, the martyr of the West? I tell you this... First define for me Freedom, and tell me how it's distinguished from liberty. And then tell me what defines Freedom of Speech. Maybe there's a path forward from there. Or backwards, or in any direction really.

PS: when you say open your mind, do you really mean, change your views to mine? Or what is it supposed to entail...?
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

I want to make jokes that are only funny because they are offensive, but I want people to not be offended by anything. What should I do?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Jam wrote:I want to make jokes that are only funny because they are offensive, but I want people to not be offended by anything. What should I do?

Target a group that isn't present on the forums.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

But the sjws will still be offended on their behalf. So it's best to just nuke them so there's no one left to be offended.
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

umeu wrote:But the sjws will still be offended on their behalf. So it's best to just nuke them so there's no one left to be offended.
Did you even consider the millions dead at Hiroshima and Nagasaki before you decided to joke about nuking people?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:The sacrifice is that I get a lot of shit for the things that I say, of course.
You get a kick out of it. When people are offended by things you say, you feel empowered and reassured of the importance of this "battle" you are fighting. A sacrifice? Give me a break.
The fight for the greater good is the fight to protect of our rights and the retaliation against the destruction of the free world. Clearly you haven't noticed, but freedom of expression doesn't exist anymore. "Hate speech" laws have completely undermined the West, although USA to a lesser degree since the 1st Amendment holds its ground rather well. You do not notice the inescapable subversive propaganda by the politicians and MSM, and you do not see the persecution of those who stand against it,
Holy mother of hyperbole. And to think there are actual problems in the world :shock:

It's simple. Words can evoke an emotional response. Because of this fact, it's common decency to consider the perspective of others before uttering potentially offensive language.
I suppose you being an asshole will indeed train people to be less offended by assholes in the future. But that's really all it is. You can pretend it's some noble pursuit, but in reality you simply get off on it. Let me guess, you don't think Trump is fit for the office he is in but you like that he's such a troll; you like how he pisses everyone off.

You share this "purpose" to piss off the SJW's with a lot of very shitty people. Ironically with those who actually are in the business of destroying the free world. Have fun with it, and I hope you grow up one day.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jam wrote:
umeu wrote:But the sjws will still be offended on their behalf. So it's best to just nuke them so there's no one left to be offended.
Did you even consider the millions dead at Hiroshima and Nagasaki before you decided to joke about nuking people?

Millions? Know your numbers. Besides more then a 1 dead is no longer a tragedy but a statistic. So, yes, i did consider. Found it satisfyingly offensive, and I am now waiting for the discussion. But this method doesn't seem to work. Genadarame is predictably ignoring us... You reckon he's shocked?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Goodspeed wrote:
Gendarme wrote:The sacrifice is that I get a lot of shit for the things that I say, of course.
You get a kick out of it. When people are offended by things you say, you feel empowered and reassured of the importance of this "battle" you are fighting. A sacrifice? Give me a break.
The fight for the greater good is the fight to protect of our rights and the retaliation against the destruction of the free world. Clearly you haven't noticed, but freedom of expression doesn't exist anymore. "Hate speech" laws have completely undermined the West, although USA to a lesser degree since the 1st Amendment holds its ground rather well. You do not notice the inescapable subversive propaganda by the politicians and MSM, and you do not see the persecution of those who stand against it,
Holy mother of hyperbole. And to think there are actual problems in the world :shock:

It's simple. Words can evoke an emotional response. Because of this fact, it's common decency to consider the perspective of others before uttering potentially offensive language.
I suppose you being an asshole will indeed train people to be less offended by assholes in the future. But that's really all it is. You can pretend it's some noble pursuit, but in reality you simply get off on it. Let me guess, you don't think Trump is fit for the office he is in but you like that he's such a troll; you like how he pisses everyone off.

You share this "purpose" to piss off the SJW's with a lot of very shitty people. Ironically with those who actually are in the business of destroying the free world. Have fun with it, and I hope you grow up one day.

Wowwww!!! Hands off our Gendarme of Nazareth. Also it's offensive to trolls to compare them to trump. Trolls are kind hearted, albeit rather dimwitted creatures who have suffered from centuries of persecution and stigma. Stop perpetuatibg this false stereotype!

I am sure Gendarme will be here soon and he will lay out his philosophical treatise on the workings of rights and duties in a modern human society!
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

umeu wrote:
Jam wrote:

Millions? Know your numbers. Besides more then a 1 dead is no longer a tragedy but a statistic. So, yes, i did consider. Found it satisfyingly offensive, and I am now waiting for the discussion. But this method doesn't seem to work. Genadarame is predictably ignoring us... You reckon he's shocked?
Well it doesn't make much of a difference if it was 1 billion or 2 billion people that died in Hiroshima, that's true. Anyways, I am happy to start the discussion in lieu of Gendermes:

You're wrong.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jam wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well it doesn't make much of a difference if it was 1 billion or 2 billion people that died in Hiroshima, that's true. Anyways, I am happy to start the discussion in lieu of Gendermes:

You're wrong.

"No!!!" You're wrong. You're not seeing my side of the argument because your to easily offended and shocked; See, I'm using ; wrongly. ; ; ; ; Gram-mar NaZi.

The sooner, You, open, your mind; the Sooner you will accept I'm right..............................................
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

umeu wrote:
Jam wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You're wrong.

"No!!!" You're wrong. You're not seeing my side of the argument because your to easily offended and shocked; See, I'm using ; wrongly. ; ; ; ; Gram-mar NaZi.

The sooner, You, open, your mind; the Sooner you will accept I'm right..............................................
Honey the only thing I'm offended by is the unfiltered stupidity of the far-center.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

Goodspeed wrote:

That you feel empowered and reassured of the importance of the battle you are fighting doesn’t mean you don’t have to sacrifice things to keep fighting. It doesn’t matter if you are fighting for freedom of speech in a gaming forum, equal rights and power to women by marching naked on the streets or if you are a firefighter storming a burning building to save someone’s life. You can still feel the importance at the same time as you must do some sacrifices. The dignity of the sacrifices obviously varies by a huge margin, the freedom of speech activist have to put up being called lots of mean names and looked upon as if he were some half evil racist, the naked girl marching down the street have to put up with the condemning glares from all around her and the firefighter have to risk his own life, but they are all convinced what they are fighting for is worth the sacrifices.

Goodspeed wrote:
Gendarme wrote:The fight for the greater good is the fight to protect of our rights and the retaliation against the destruction of the free world. Clearly you haven't noticed, but freedom of expression doesn't exist anymore. "Hate speech" laws have completely undermined the West, although USA to a lesser degree since the 1st Amendment holds its ground rather well. You do not notice the inescapable subversive propaganda by the politicians and MSM, and you do not see the persecution of those who stand against it,

I’m not sure what Gendarme has written here that are so offensive. He seems to be arguing fairly civilized for his case, at least he doesn’t go to personal attacks and call people assholes. But perhaps you’re referring to things he said in other threads, if so please quote something that you think are so offensive that you rightfully should get offended by it and justifies you calling him an asshole.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Just because you believe you're making a sacrifice doesn't mean you're making one. In this context it's a word that deservedly carries a lot of weight, as it recalls people laying down their life or livelihood for a cause, whether you agree with that or not. And even if 2 people make a sacrifice and believe in the validity of their cause with equal intensity doesnt mean you cant differentiate between them. One can definitely be said to be a bigger sacrifice than another. Its the same with mistakes, just because theyre both mistakes doesnt mean theyre mistakes of equal magnitude.

As for being called an asshole, it's not an offense in this case, as gendarme has said himself he doesn't care about being "insulted". How can there be offense given when none is taken? In this case it's more a description than a value judgment, and Gendarme probably sees it as a badge of honor anyway, for having triggered yet another "snowflake" with his shock and awe tactics. Even though, if it's a token of anything else, it's one of infantility. I don't put much stock in him being called an asshole, but I find it far more serious that he doesn't walk the walk he talks, or acts as he preaches. For someone who claims he wants to generate and have debate, i find him fairly unwilling to do so, and he often walks away from questions that require a more substantial answer than uncorroborated accusations or conspiracies.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Thinking is not as good as feeling, suckers.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

umeu wrote:Just because you believe you're making a sacrifice doesn't mean you're making one.

A sacrifice is to give up something you think is valuable to help a person or a cause. Whether what is being given up upon is a sacrifice or not is relative to how the person perceives it, there are no absolute right or wrong. Because what is perceived as valuable is in itself a relative thing and differ from person to person. What some see as a sacrifice may not be a sacrifice to others. For example, if you skip a day at school/work to help someone move it can be a sacrifice for someone who loves what they do, but for others it may be a chance to get away from something they hate.

umeu wrote:In this context it's a word that deservedly carries a lot of weight, as it recalls people laying down their life or livelihood for a cause, whether you agree with that or not. And even if 2 people make a sacrifice and believe in the validity of their cause with equal intensity doesnt mean you cant differentiate between them. One can definitely be said to be a bigger sacrifice than another. Its the same with mistakes, just because theyre both mistakes doesnt mean theyre mistakes of equal magnitude.

Where did I write that there is no differentiation between sacrifices? Obviously, there are both small and large sacrifices. They can vary both in kind and magnitude.
A person giving their life or livelihood for a cause they believe in is obviously a sacrifice (you may even say it is the biggest sacrifice you can make), it doesn’t matter if I as observer think it is for a bad or a good cause. That doesn’t mean there aren’t other types of sacrifices. Just as you can sacrifice your life, you can do smaller sacrifices, like giving up on some of your own privileges in favor of someone else. This is still a sacrifice, although of lesser magnitude than giving your life for the cause.

umeu wrote:As for being called an asshole, it's not an offense in this case, as gendarme has said himself he doesn't care about being "insulted". How can there be offense given when none is taken? In this case it's more a description than a value judgment, and Gendarme probably sees it as a badge of honor anyway, for having triggered yet another "snowflake" with his shock and awe tactics. Even though, if it's a token of anything else, it's one of infantility.

How can you know he doesn’t care? Because he said it? There are plenty of people who say they don’t care when they actually do. When they are trying to uphold a certain image for example. Assuming that someone must like something is a dangerous path, it is the same thing that have led some men to be convicted of sexual harassment, “Of course she liked it, you don’t wear that kind of cloths if you don’t want some fun with a strong man”.
If it had been Gendarme that called someone an asshole I could somewhat have understood it, since he makes the case that people take offense way to easily and the way to make them more resistant is to constantly expose them to offensive things. You and Goodspeed seem to argue that there is no gain from simply offending people. Then I don’t see how calling someone an asshole for having a different opinion on a subject in anyway helps your case. If anything, it is contradictive.

umeu wrote:I don't put much stock in him being called an asshole, but I find it far more serious that he doesn't walk the walk he talks, or acts as he preaches. For someone who claims he wants to generate and have debate, i find him fairly unwilling to do so, and he often walks away from questions that require a more substantial answer than uncorroborated accusations or conspiracies.

I agree it is sad that he doesn’t always answer (or that he does answer but in an unserious manner), but I also see him giving good explanations and well written posts too. As I hope you can imagine it can be taxing to do well based arguing, especially when you are alone against many. There is nothing strange if he feels like he can’t answer every question or argument. Besides, he is hardly the only one here who sometimes fight for a cause and other times don’t give an answer to the other sides arguments. I think this is quite common and hardly something exclusive for Gendarme.