Fuck you Netflix, fuck. You political correctness

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Fuck you Netflix, fuck. You political correctness

Post by lordraphael »

Ciri from the Witcher is about to be played by a black Asian girl..... For anyone not knowing the character. She's without a doubt described as white girl, I'd even say she's close to an albino. Why does anyone think they have to alter the source. Material in such a way. It's. Fucking outrageous.

Also I have heard that the lord of the rings series will feature quite a few non white people. Afaik theres no source material either for black people in the world of middle earth. On the other hand its only set in the world of LOTR and not build on one of Tolkiens storys so I can accept that. But not this infuriating move by Netflix.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Fuck you Netflix, fuck. You political correctness

Post by Gendarme »

Remember, all you were offered was the truth; nothing more.
Pay more attention to detail.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Well?
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Rofl.

What is the significance of the color of her skin to the story? And why does it upset you so that shes not white?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

She's without a doubt described as white girl, I'd even say she's close to an albino.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:
She's without a doubt described as white girl, I'd even say she's close to an albino.

So? That answers neither of my questions. I asked what the significance is for the story. And i asked why it makes him so upset. Considering its a work of fiction. Are we going to be upset that in lotr, dwarves arent really played by dwarves but by humans?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It is part of the story. Where else does the description come from?

There is no lack of white actresses for this role. Having a black actress for this role is almost certainly for political reasons, and I think it is a mistake to merely call it "political correctness".
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

So it's ok to paint people to play historical characters, but for a fictional character, where the skin color has no great significance to any aspect of the story, it's clearly a bridge too far.

And it still leaves the question why does it make you/him so angry
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I don't know anything about The Witcher, and it would only irritate me if it is done with political intentions, which is very likely to be the case.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Why? Maybe she was just the best actress for the role. And it only becomes politicised because its not acceptable to switch roles from white to color, as it has been the other way around, even though thats changing too

People also get upset at the idea of idris elba as james bond...
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

I'm fine with Idris Elba being the new James Bond, because he's an excellent British actor but also because the series innovated and created a discontinuity starring a blonde guy just before. It's a different case here imo. I personally don't care what color Ciri is, but I fail to see how this is not an attempt to fill the diversity quotas.

To me, Blade is a black fictional character and it would be very awkward to have him replaced by a non-black actor.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Djigit wrote:I'm fine with Idris Elba being the new James Bond, because he's an excellent British actor but also because the series innovated and created a discontinuity starring a blonde guy just before. It's a different case here imo. I personally don't care what color Ciri is, but I fail to see how this is not an attempt to fill the diversity quotas.

To me, Blade is a black fictional character and it would be very awkward to have him replaced by a non-black actor.

it could be. or it could be that she's a good actor. i don't really care either way. but considering that siri is a fictional character, and the color of her skin isn't that relevant, way less relevant than for example the color of her hair, i don't see why it's a big deal if she's not every bit the same as described in the book. i mean in GOT, daenarys is also described as having violet eyes, but nobody cries that the HBO daenarys just has brown eyes.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Everyone here is missing the point -- a movie made about a video game has never been good (except LotR), and never will be good.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:Everyone here is missing the point -- a movie made about a video game has never been good (except LotR), and never will be good.

lotr wasn't a video game before it was a movie? wafuq. and witcher was a book before it was a video game. callen, do your homework...
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

umeu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Everyone here is missing the point -- a movie made about a video game has never been good (except LotR), and never will be good.

lotr wasn't a video game before it was a movie? wafuq. and witcher was a book before it was a video game. callen, do your homework...

I like rustling nerd-jimmies 8-)

Just something alpha me does
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

By 2022 it will probably be Jamina Bond and by 2028 the character will be a gender fluid.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Because it wouldn't be the first case of subversion of Western society through the erasure of the identity of its people and their fellowship. Patriotism is chastised, disintegrated by globalism while ubiquitary uninterrupted connections to the internet are rapidly corroding our interpersonal relations at the same time as every attribute that gives us something in common to cultivate and treasure is demonized or diluted into nothingness.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Gendarme wrote:. . . the erasure of the identity of its people and their fellowship . . .

you're right, this is a phenomenon that exists
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

The fellowship of the ring?

You do realise that it's a fictional character and it has nothing to do with any real national identities? if we were talking about an historical character, i'd say that maybe you had a point. Although there's also a long tradition, mainly in theatre, to simply give the best actor the job (although in reality i guess it's never that simple) but anyway, having colored people play leads in for example shakespeare's plays has precendent in the UK for a long time before this PC thing was even a debate. If you can for example make a romeo and juliet with cars and guns and stuff, then i don't see why it's suddenly strange if the romeo was chinese, or insert anything other than italian.

The rest seems a lot of drivel, concocted into a nice looking cocktail of fancy words. Care to explain it in a way that's more concrete and not just empty concepts? If you want something in common to cultivate and treasure, isn't it actually valuable to have the capactity to look past what someone looks like (aka how siri looks), and instead focus on how someone acts, what values they embrace etc (aka how the character of siri is portrayed in the movie)? Not really sure why making a statement of inclusion, if it is one, is a bad thing in your mind, when what you want is to achieve community. You can't have community when you exclude people, even if you only exclude them on the big screen.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You asked why I find it likely that it is politically motivated, and I said that it is because anti-white politics is the current meta—whether this instance is a big deal or not I haven't commented on.

I did not really say anything too controversial; it is a rather common sentiment, although naturally not represented accurately in the MSM and what not. What exactly do I need to elaborate on? I only sought to explain what I meant with the subversion of Western society. It was not relaterad to The Witcher any more than what is said in the first paragraph of this post.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

umeu wrote:
Gendarme wrote:

So? That answers neither of my questions. I asked what the significance is for the story. And i asked why it makes him so upset. Considering its a work of fiction. Are we going to be upset that in lotr, dwarves arent really played by dwarves but by humans?

it matters to me ( and almost everyone who has read or played the witcher series id guess ) because i played the game and i always imagined ciri to be exactly like in the game/ books. IS it significant for the story ? to me it is. YOur dwarf statement is not relevant because they look how i imagine dwarfes, at least to a certain degree, but a Black asian wont look how i expect ciri to look, I dont see Henry Cavill as a good Geralt either, simply doesnt look like how i imagine geralt.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Djigit wrote:I'm fine with Idris Elba being the new James Bond, because he's an excellent British actor but also because the series innovated and created a discontinuity starring a blonde guy just before. It's a different case here imo. I personally don't care what color Ciri is, but I fail to see how this is not an attempt to fill the diversity quotas.

me neither id be fine with all races for james bond. Because due to the many years this character has been in play and the many different actors who have played him i dont connect any particular look with james bond ( except that he wears suits,maybe)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:You asked why I find it likely that it is politically motivated, and I said that it is because anti-white politics is the current meta—whether this instance is a big deal or not I haven't commented on.

I did not really say anything too controversial; it is a rather common sentiment, although naturally not represented accurately in the MSM and what not. What exactly do I need to elaborate on? I only sought to explain what I meant with the subversion of Western society. It was not relaterad to The Witcher any more than what is said in the first paragraph of this post.

I didn't ask why you found it likely, I asked, or at least intended to ask, why you found it problematic. I guess your answer kinda covered both. What I wonder though is why it's anti white in your mind, when it's simply a fictional character. And why whiteness, in your mind, apparently is something which serves to bind people together in a positive way. And I would like to know why you see, if you're looking to foster community, superficial things such as skincolor as an asset, rather than a hurdle to creating community. Maybe I'm reading into your words something that you don't intend, so that's why I'm asking for elaboration, specifically on what you think of as

-attribute that gives us something in common to cultivate and treasure
-the identity of its (the west's) people and their fellowship
-in which ways western society has been undermined before by eroding the identity of it's people
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

umeu wrote:So it's ok to paint people to play historical characters, but for a fictional character, where the skin color has no great significance to any aspect of the story, it's clearly a bridge too far.

And it still leaves the question why does it make you/him so angry

its actually not. Im all for correct historical depictions of looks , i also know whitewashing is a thing, ( tho it doesnt bother me as much, i can totally understand if a black or asian person or w.e other race is being discriminated by it is upset.