2018 World Chess Championship Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

2018 World Chess Championship Thread

Post by deleted_user »

Alright, children. Game 12 is MONDAY (tomorrow/today/yesterday). If either Carlsen (Norway) or Caruana (USA) win, it is OVER! If they draw (again), we proceed to tie-breaking territory, and players play four rapid (25|10) matches and if score remains tied through that, four blitz (5|3) games! I pray we do not reach the Armageddon match.

Great analysis of each game played over at the ChessNetwork channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWP0ggS ... BKvbIUAiw8

Games 1, 6, 8, 9 have been the most exciting so far I think.

Oh yeah, and Caruana has the white pieces Monday. Will he finally get aggressive in classical time controls? Or will he take his chances in the tiebreakers versus the #1 ranked blitz player?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: 2018 World Chess Championship Thread

Post by deleted_user »

I've had tons of fun watching this year's Championship. I guess I like that the players are young. Anand scares me, visually.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Super Exiting today. I really think Carlsen will win this championship aswell, but its really nice that there are so many super good players comming up now. In Norway there are chess fever all over the country. :ugeek:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

11/11 draws
What a shit game

I have been watching whenever I can. Chess24 has a great stream, they have 3 2750+ players commentating at the same time.

Their play has been quite accurate most of the time but interestingly, so far both of them seem to be performing better with black. Something about players spending more time preparing for games with black, which I don't really understand but I'm sure they have their reasons.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Never heard anyone talk about chess here. Is there really a chess fever in Norway?! That's cool.
Pay more attention to detail.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Goodspeed wrote:11/11 draws
What a shit game
What a surprising post.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

That was an interesting draw offer from Carlsen. He figures he wins the tiebreak because he's better at faster time controls so he offers a draw in a position where he is better because that would be hard to refuse for Caruana, and of course there's a cance of Carlsen blundering and giving the game away. I'm surprised Caruana accepted even though he was worse. Odds of him winning that game were probably still higher than the odds of him winning the tiebreak.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I was sure Carlsen would win this thb. He had the upper-hand, but said in the interview that the defenses of Caruana was hard to beat. But that gives us another opportune for even more exiting games, come Wednesday ;)
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

chess is boring
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Horsemen wrote:chess is boring

Shut up, Nate.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:
Horsemen wrote:chess is boring

Shut up, Nate.

Wtf
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Now that I've looked at the tiebreak format I do find it strange that Magnus offered a draw there. Sure he has a big edge in blitz but first they play a best of 4 with time controls where Caruana would be relatively okay I think (25min + 15sec per move). All it takes is Caruana winning 1 game there and they would never get to blitz.
Seems foolish to offer a draw in a position where you are clearly better (engines said about -1) and have 50 min against your opponent's 15 min for the next 9 (18) moves. Maybe he underestimated his advantage.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's interesting. It's possible he was underestimating his position a bit, keep in mind Caruana had a 1+ advantage at one point in a previous game himself and threw it away the very next move, not accurately realizing his forcing position.

Is it Carlsen underestimating his position, underestimating his performance in Classical, overestimating Caruana, or his confidence in rapid/blitz? 25 minutes for a game is a huge time hamper compared to classical. Both players have spent about that much time in total on one move in Classical. The first game lasted 7 hours.

Caruana is regarded as been the better prepared so far in these long time controls. I think the benefit of preparation fades as time controls shorten. I think Magnus's decision is both out of respect for Caruana's accuracy in so far in Classical as it is his confidence in shorter time controls. All it takes is one missed continuation to throw that 1+ advantage away...

There is also mental fatigue. I think Carlsen just wants to get on a board and make fast moves. It fits his style.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

He supposedly mentioned in the press conference that he found no way to turn his position into a win, that Caruana had an easy defense. Didn't look that way to me but I guess that makes sense.
Yeah it's always possible he would blunder. But then again I would say in rapid time controls the odds of him blundering and throwing a game are higher.
Maybe he is much better in rapid. But how much worse can Caruana realistically be there? You don't get to that rating if you can't analyze positions quickly or have poor intuition.

One of them made a mistake by drawing by agreement. Either Carlsen overestimated his chances in tiebreaks/underestimated his position or Caruana did the opposite. If Carlsen's best play was to offer a draw there, necessarily Caruana's best play was to refuse it.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Usually computers give even seemingly forcing positions an "even" status because defense can be so strong. Strange he felt that way then given the computer's analysis but we are all human.

As Carlsen's odds increase to blunder in rapid, Caruana's may increase more. I think that's what it comes down to. Caruana is not a blitz player, being ranked 18th and Carlsen of course 1st. In comparison these two are #1 and #2 in Classical. Rapid is middle ground sure but the odds are still predominately skewed towards Carlsen. Watch Fabiano blitz games on YouTube, he feels uncomfortable and loses a lot before he wins. I hope I'm wrong though.

Re: paragraph 2) you're not wrong. Guess we will see who was mistaken, although who can say given the unknowable hypothetical alternative. Although the final result won't necessarily reveal the correct action here. Carlsen could both have been in his best interest to continue play in game 12 and win the tie breaks, or vice versa.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

thread is now chess fun thread
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

NOVEMBER 28 ALL REMAINING MATCHES WILL BE PLAYED IT'S GET READY OR GO HOME
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@deleted_user4 who won? you suddenly turned mute :P
Carlsen won 3-0, ez
Bring on your Ai rehearsal vs a Human being. Thus far the Carlsen Human intuitive gameplay won, after all, you can't bring your pc to the game - lol
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You also can't get to where Caruana was just by preparing well. Seems unfair to characterize him as an extension of the engine he uses to prepare. He's a great player with probably a long career ahead of him.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Goodspeed wrote:You also can't get to where Caruana was just by preparing well. Seems unfair to characterize him as an extension of the engine he uses to prepare. He's a great player with probably a long career ahead of him.

He won against a person who relies on his AI game. btw so did the first person he championed - that Indian guy - lol - the person who had the title for ages (dont know exactly for how long, but it was for a long period)
Annand?
What is nice, is that Carsen can still go out for a hamburger and a night with the boys. Only in Norway :P
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

iwillspankyou wrote:@deleted_user4 who won? you suddenly turned mute :P
Carlsen won 3-0, ez
Bring on your Ai rehearsal vs a Human being. Thus far the Carlsen Human intuitive gameplay won, after all, you can't bring your pc to the game - lol

The player playing for America lost and so I'm MAD!!