US States that voted for Trump face factory closures due to Trump's trade war

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

US States that voted for Trump face factory closures due to Trump's trade war

Post by Horsemen »

https://www.ft.com/content/1563442e-f18 ... f9881e729f

Four of the factories to be shuttered next year ā€” two assembly plants and two power train plants ā€” are in the US, including in politically pivotal states like Ohio and Michigan, where Mr Trump has credited his protectionist trade policies with bolstering American manufacturing. A fifth plant in Canada will also be closed.

American economic policy shows its true colours!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: US States that voted for Trump face factory closures due to Trump's trade war

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Economically crippling yourself to own the libs
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Re: US States that voted for Trump face factory closures due to Trump's trade war

Post by Dr. D1CK »

Strange, my company is moving production of a lot of goods back to the USA after moving them from the USA to China. I say this as I sit in a 2 hour long traffic jam outside of Ningbo.
"Build a man a fire, he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

This is just capitalism at it's finest. Nothing to do with Trump or Obama or whoever. If people want to fix this, we need regulated capitalism.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

n0el wrote:This is just capitalism at it's finest. Nothing to do with Trump or Obama or whoever. If people want to fix this, we need regulated capitalism.

I think you misspelled communism
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Fuck isms
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Thatā€™s a big difference @momuuu
mad cuz bad
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

No way
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

momuuu wrote:
n0el wrote:This is just capitalism at it's finest. Nothing to do with Trump or Obama or whoever. If people want to fix this, we need regulated capitalism.

You should come to London, there's a guy called Corbyn who you'd love to meet.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

These tariffs imposed by Trump didn't have much to do with economic concerns. In fact, they're willing to pay USA businesses that were affected by tariffs (https://www.newsweek.com/trump-trade-wa ... ut-1040309) to compensate for their losses. What this means is that the US government thinks this policy is worth losing some money if it hurts China more. Asymmetrical damages.

It's not just the economy, it's also about the fact that China is stealing intellectual property from US businesses. They are copying products made in China by US corporations and they are stealing trade secrets from start-ups in which the Chinese government has invested, indirectly, via investment funds.

You need to go deeper to understand why this is happening.

I think Trump is doing the right thing here, but with a caveat. He shouldn't have extended this policy to other trading partners, like Canada, the EU, etc. In the end, the US actually will not be affected that much, because the trade-to-GDP ratio in the US is like 13.4% (http://stat.wto.org/CountryProfile/WSDB ... ountry=US&). Which means the US is less dependent on trade than other countries (China's trade-to-GDP ratio stands at about 19.1%, so its revenue is a lot more dependent on trading than USA's revenue).

But, again, since economic concerns were not uppermost in making such a decision, these are considered acceptable costs for bigger and more strategic, long-term goals.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It goes up, actually.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It's not just for the sake of being edgy. I don't even know that Pepe is necessarily edgy. As far as I know it doesn't mean anything other than showing affiliation to Kekistan.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Horsemen wrote:
momuuu wrote:

I would love to meet him and shake his hand, saying; good job, now ff to PM :love:

regarding the topic, the trade wars are really stirring up the global economics, and we would be wise to buckle up, cos this is not gonna end very pretty :shock:
It seems like good paying jobs are outsourced, and low paying jobs are coming back. Not a good trade for USA workers who suffer already. Half of the pop cannot afford a 400 dollar extra expense, before they have to borrow or sell something.

Next time we burst a bubble, like the stock markeds? there is just no eco to keep borrowing money to sustain the nations eco. Sorry for being a doomsday teller, but its gonna be very bad, very soon :ohmy:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

iwillspankyou wrote:
Horsemen wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I would love to meet him and shake his hand, saying; good job, now ff to PM :love:
I wasn't talking to you
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:These tariffs imposed by Trump didn't have much to do with economic concerns. In fact, they're willing to pay USA businesses that were affected by tariffs (https://www.newsweek.com/trump-trade-wa ... ut-1040309) to compensate for their losses. What this means is that the US government thinks this policy is worth losing some money if it hurts China more. Asymmetrical damages.

It's not just the economy, it's also about the fact that China is stealing intellectual property from US businesses. They are copying products made in China by US corporations and they are stealing trade secrets from start-ups in which the Chinese government has invested, indirectly, via investment funds.

I think Trump is doing the right thing here, but with a caveat. He shouldn't have extended this policy to other trading partners, like Canada, the EU, etc. In the end, the US actually will not be affected that much, because the trade-to-GDP ratio in the US is like 13.4% (http://stat.wto.org/CountryProfile/WSDB ... ountry=US&). Which means the US is less dependent on trade than other countries (China's trade-to-GDP ratio stands at about 19.1%, so its revenue is a lot more dependent on trading than USA's revenue).

But, again, since economic concerns were not uppermost in making such a decision, these are considered acceptable costs for bigger and more strategic, long-term goals.

Trump is the only major Western leader standing up to Chinese unfair trade practices and intellectual property theft. This is a good thing.

But some factory workers voted for him because they thought he would increase factory jobs. Well, look what's happening now.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

what this means, is that China will be focusing on other trading partners, like Africa, Russia,Eu, etc. But the real change is that they are focusing on their own consumers, to have more buying power, and that is good for the Chinese poor ppl. And bad for USA who have surged on cheep Chinese goods. The Chinese "only" relying on export is not sustainable in the long run anyway.
Think Trump bit himself in his devil tail here.
Btw, would you say that USA are not stealing from other countries?
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

The Unions are unhappy about their outsourcing, and Trump is threatening to cut subsidies. I wouldn't be surprised if this bottom-up and top-down pressure on GM causes them to repurpose those plants for other cars, or build new plants. It's amazing that GM has so much trouble though; considering they've received so much corporate welfare in the past ten years. Maybe they should try selling cars that people actually want to buy?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

:idea: good idea - why not produce electric cars, or at least low petrol cars :!: tbh, the american cars are junk :!: exept for tesla, but they are really suffering from Trump custums now, I just saw that they are 70% down on sale to China :o
https://youtu.be/FLWhEBXaPBE
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:what this means, is that China will be focusing on other trading partners, like Africa, Russia,Eu, etc. But the real change is that they are focusing on their own consumers, to have more buying power, and that is good for the Chinese poor ppl. And bad for USA who have surged on cheep Chinese goods. The Chinese "only" relying on export is not sustainable in the long run anyway.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Trump and the USA are the ones trying to rely on their own consumers and producers here right?
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

Horsemen wrote:
Dolan wrote:These tariffs imposed by Trump didn't have much to do with economic concerns. In fact, they're willing to pay USA businesses that were affected by tariffs (https://www.newsweek.com/trump-trade-wa ... ut-1040309) to compensate for their losses. What this means is that the US government thinks this policy is worth losing some money if it hurts China more. Asymmetrical damages.

Trump is the only major Western leader standing up to Chinese unfair trade practices and intellectual property theft. This is a good thing.

But some factory workers voted for him because they thought he would increase factory jobs. Well, look what's happening now.

Look what heā€™s doing now? Brining production back to America Specifically on highly tarriffed goods. This will/is leading to more good factory middle class jobs, while punching the Chinese right where it hurts as well as addressing the IP issues
"Build a man a fire, he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

In my company, the tariffs are causing a direct effect of 1)bringing the production of (chiefly metal products) back to the Us and 2) sending the production of certain tarrifed plastic and solar parts to other sources like Vietnam.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

momuuu wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:what this means, is that China will be focusing on other trading partners, like Africa, Russia,Eu, etc. But the real change is that they are focusing on their own consumers, to have more buying power, and that is good for the Chinese poor ppl. And bad for USA who have surged on cheep Chinese goods. The Chinese "only" relying on export is not sustainable in the long run anyway.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Trump and the USA are the ones trying to rely on their own consumers and producers here right?

Im only saying; so are China. Who will win, you think?

and @Dolan you are very wrong! the manufacturing jobs are coming back to USA if they can compet with China, or other low paying countries. Guess what that means? The pay check in USA are getting smaller and smaller. Could be good news for you though, living in a country where the wages are very low, But for ordinary USA citizens it is really bad news.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dr. D1CK wrote:
Horsemen wrote:

Look what heā€™s doing now? Brining production back to America Specifically on highly tarriffed goods. This will/is leading to more good factory middle class jobs, while punching the Chinese right where it hurts as well as addressing the IP issues
Dee
One
See
Kay