CS:GO now free!

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: CS:GO now free!

Post by pecelot »

momuuu wrote:Exactly, so the people that bought that game then made a stupid purchase. The only thing that treated them unfairly was their brain, tricking them into thinking a bad deal was actually a good deal!

it's not even a stupid purchase, they get access earlier (a couple years even) than the ones that get it now for free
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

umeu wrote:
Ashvin wrote:
Show hidden quotes

A valid point, but I think the point of sale is to decrease the price for a limited period of time to get more and more people to play the game, however, the "real" cost of the game is still the original one. Making it free to play means to decrease the price of it, this means that earlier the game costed too much as compared to its actual worth.

Once the product has earned back its investment and made a profit, prices should be reduced to 0+production costs. Rather than being ressentimental about it, i think you ought to be proud youve helped others enjoy themselves who might otherwise not have been able to afford it.

it sounds good on paper, but making a game free means no money for developers to keep supporting the game, you can not compare games with books because games need constant money to be available to be used. Server costs and development costs are needed.

They might be making money thru their some in-game purchases maybe, but I really think making a game(which used to costs something in past) free to play is a cheap trick to increase the playerbase.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Ashvin wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Once the product has earned back its investment and made a profit, prices should be reduced to 0+production costs. Rather than being ressentimental about it, i think you ought to be proud youve helped others enjoy themselves who might otherwise not have been able to afford it.

it sounds good on paper, but making a game free means no money for developers to keep supporting the game, you can not compare games with books because games need constant money to be available to be used. Server costs and development costs are needed.

They might be making money thru their some in-game purchases maybe, but I really think making a game(which used to costs something in past) free to play is a cheap trick to increase the playerbase.

Umeu says 0+production costs, meaning he doesn't want the games to be 100% free, but low enough to just support the game. Also, server and development costs are always necessary, only for games that keep getting updates or have dedicated multiplayer servers. Any single player game is just done after a while and doesn't cost anything to support. AoE3 probably also doesn't cost a significant amount since the servers are only used for ESO and not for actually playing the game.

I am not sure what's wrong with increasing the playerbase by making a game free? Doesn't a larger playerbase make the game more enjoyable from everyone, buyers included? If anything, it's not a cheap trick at all, but a rather expensive one.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jup, plus were talking abouta huge brand here. Its basically advertizing. So even if there are costs, the developer can undoubtedly cover these with past and future profits. Having a free "demo" will convince ppl to buy more of their stuff in the future. Plus, as ive understood, in csgo, you can still buy things to upgrade your game, so they still make money from that. Even though its a development in the game industry that i like less