Super power china

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
India TNT333
Lancer
ESO: TNT333

Super power china

Post by TNT333 »

Who agrees china will be the next superpower
"We are kings or pawns" Napoleon Bonaparte
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: Super power china

Post by n0el »

They already are
mad cuz bad
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

nepuvir sb gVGeG
Pay more attention to detail.
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

Gendarme wrote:I must say this is weird to hear from an Indian.

Lol, I'm frm a tribe in north east india, but yeah india can also be a superpower
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

n0el wrote:They already are

No like dominant superpower and overpowering the usa
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

nepuvir sb gVGeG
Pay more attention to detail.
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

Gendarme wrote:
TNT333 wrote:
Gendarme wrote:I must say this is weird to hear from an Indian.

Lol, I'm frm a tribe in north east india, but yeah india can also be a superpower
It's soon 2020, bro.

In 2025
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

China has the potential to be a 'super power', although I honestly don't even know what a superpower is supposed to be nowadays.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

n0el wrote:They already are

Nope
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

If you compare China's and the USA's military capabilities (https://www.globalfirepower.com/countri ... it=COMPARE) you can see that China is far from matching the US in terms of airforce and land capabilities. It has been overtaking the US in terms of naval firepower, though, which is why the US is using this trade war tactic to throw a wrench in the works of their military ambitions.

China might look like an economic power on paper, but on average the Chinese are much poorer than Americans. Which is why China is not even considered a developed country.

I mean, if you want to look for potential future superpowers, you have to first look at which country has the money to support a military force that is way above all the other countries' military forces combined and which country can do that without keeping its people poor, like China and Russia do.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

What is a country's military force even worth? When it comes to a full scale war we're all going to fucking die.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

You just have to take garrison in blockhouse/outpost/castle/towncenters when cav comes to raid you.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Ashvin wrote:You just have to take garrison in blockhouse/outpost/castle/towncenters when cav comes to raid you.

Yeah but what if they come with petards? Do u just sack the vills?
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

I don’t think China will become a super power
"Build a man a fire, he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

oh well shitfire! 2019 will be India's year
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Countries don't become superpowers out of lust for power, it's something they sort of fall into. If a country has nothing to gain, mostly economically, from maintaining an Empire then it won't maintain that Empire. (just ask Britain) That's why I don't think their economic, one-belt one-road strategy will work. Myanmar, Kenya, and whoever else, will have no reason to maintain long-term economic ties with China if that relationship becomes a burden. Once China runs out of ways to enrich themselves off of other countries, they're going to go downhill a lot faster than most would imagine. Their economy and government is so fragile at the moment; it's like a house of cards.

There isn't much of a use for "super powers" currently. The current system provides adequate prosperity. It provides for respectable amounts of autonomy. Wars have also gotten a lot more expensive. Interventionism isn't the cheap glamour it used to be. Now it's a decade long commitment. With that in mind, no one WANTS to be responsible for everyone else. No one wants to police the world. No one wants to focus on holding an international web together while ignoring problems at home. No one wants the responsibilities that come with being a hegemon. I don't think China will put forth the effort necessary to become a super power. Instead it will act purely according to what suits its national interest.

The United States could have maintained its unipolar supremacy for a few decades longer, but Clinton/Bush/Obama did their damndest to throw away our hegemony. Even if we made major changes, we still probably couldn't retake our "New World Order" power level. This is because the United States was able to beat single countries, but not multiple regional powers. Russia is the evident winner in the middle-east, and possibly Eastern Europe. China has expanded its reach into Taiwan and the Philippines. Currently the world is in a stale-mate between these three powers, with each being insurmountable within their respective spheres of influence. If an incumbent hegemon wasn't able to overcome this tripolar system then it seems incredibly unlikely that an up-and-coming China could.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Amsel_ wrote:just ask Britain

I just asked Britain about this. Britain didn't say anything :hmm:
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

rsy wrote:
Ashvin wrote:You just have to take garrison in blockhouse/outpost/castle/towncenters when cav comes to raid you.

Dont be childish, petards don't exist.
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

Ashvin wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:just ask Britain

I just asked Britain about this. Britain didn't say anything :hmm:

You'll need to wait a few days. Britain forgot to fill out the paperwork to renew its post-imperial reflection loicense.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Ashvin wrote:
rsy wrote:

Damn so my whole life is a lie?!
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

rsy wrote:
Ashvin wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Damn so my whole life is a lie?!

At least you know ghosts exist.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The next? Maybe, perhaps even probably. Are they currently close? Not really
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

@Amsel_ don’t you think China is sort of falling into it? Especially as the US exits the stage under the current admin. China is heavily influencing the next growth region (Africa-https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/03/china-invest-60-billion-across-continent-raising-fears-new-colonialism/amp/) and now has nearly complete influence in the Far East.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Amsel_ wrote: With that in mind, no one WANTS to be responsible for everyone else. No one wants to police the world. No one wants to focus on holding an international web together while ignoring problems at home. No one wants the responsibilities that come with being a hegemon. I don't think China will put forth the effort necessary to become a super power. Instead it will act purely according to what suits its national interest.

Let's see if you keep believing this if most of the world drops the dollar as a reserve currency. And all major dollar reserves holders buy tangible assets in the USA (land, buildings, businesses, technology) in exchange for their US paper. A huge flow of liquidity in the US economy, for which there is no equivalent coverage in goods and services. Then suddenly that idea of having a global reserve currency as a form of financial hegemony and a form of policing the financial world doesn't seem that bad, huh.
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

n0el wrote:@Amsel_ don’t you think China is sort of falling into it? Especially as the US exits the stage under the current admin. China is heavily influencing the next growth region (Africa-https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/03/china-invest-60-billion-across-continent-raising-fears-new-colonialism/amp/) and now has nearly complete influence in the Far East.

Their economic expansion is impressive, but I wouldn't consider that falling into it. I'm just not a fan of these economic empires. They're so fragile. If China makes some good shows of force projection in regions where they've acquired influence then I might eat my words, but I don't see it. They still haven't gained control of the South China Sea. North Korea has been drifting away from them. The only country they have which I would really consider a proxy is Myanmar. Nearly anyone else could tell them to go away at any minute, with minimal repercussions.

When I say the U.S. fell into it, it's because they already had a world-agenda set up because of their long struggle with international communism. By the end of the world war they had the military and political capital of a country fighting a world war, but had no real enemies. Typically countries will adopt certain ideals to fill this sort of vacuum. Historically it was an Imperial, pseudo-religious ideal. Lately nations have taken to more temporal ideals, such as every country being a democracy. That's what the United States adopted, and it worked well because it was somewhat similar to the ideological reasoning for the fight against communism. Even today - when nearly everyone is sick of these wars - the media still randomly calls world leaders "dictators" and it kind of works at preventing any sympathy towards them. I don't think China has one of these driving ideals. They're almost completely focused on economics. I don't see them finding justification for non-economic expansionism.