US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by fightinfrenchman »

But my actual money is still on Klobuchar so please support her so I can win my bet
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:But my actual money is still on Klobuchar so please support her so I can win my bet

The thing I associate with Klobuchar is that she wants to expend Obama care, instead of replacing it with a single payer. + that she is dependent on taking donations from the healthcare industry (figures). Can I assume that you are also of the same opinion? That you rather have a private insurance system like you have today, instead of a government funded with taxes?
What would you bet?
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

@spanky4ever I thought the tone of that article was interesting. It described how the blue-collar types feel about politics. They weren't talking so much about Trump coming in and making everything amazing. They were just happy that the democrats didn't come into office and cause harm to them. There are very few people in the country who like the idea of the democrats completely controlling D.C., because people have seen first hand how they'll smile and promise the world then enact ridiculous and strangling legislation. The republicans never seem to do much. In fact I can't think of a single major victory the right in this country has had in the past century. But that makes them a safer choice. At his absolute worst, Trump is going to be the "I know what I'm getting, and I know he won't screw me over too much." choice.

I think it's going to take a lot more than campaign promises of welfare to win over the working class, to convince them to change their minds and turn on Trump. None of the progressives' rhetoric comes close to the kind of populistic firebrand it would take to decisively win the working-class. And there's still the question of running a "radical" against an incumbent president. If he does win the rust-belt, it won't mean much if he loses Virginia and Nevada due to moderate, middle-class voters. The democrats' base is so stretched out that it's hard to keep everyone happy. A progressive might be able to pull it off, but I'll have to see it to believe it.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Dolan wrote:@spanky4ever

There's a big cultural difference between Europe and the USA. Democrat, left-wing, progressive (or whatever you want to call it) electorate doesn't really believe much in the state or the power of the state to change their lives. Also, those blue collar workers are unlikely to support any proposal that the state should handle their health care services or that the state should provide quality, free education. So, careful with projecting such left-wing European ideas onto US politicians, because they would most likely fall on deaf ears.

I don't think this is true, and in fact, I haven't seen or met anyone that would support this (I live in the heart of one of the most prototypical blue collar states). The most popular political topics in the country are all state provided or guaranteed (medicaid/medicare, social security). Expansion of medicare for all (i.e. government provided health care) is extremely popular (polls around 80%).

I also would like to comment on the second part of our argument, I don't necessarily agree but I feel like you raise some interesting points. Don't have time now though.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

80% of blue collar workers or 80% of all workers support state-funded health care?

Because from I've seen, state-funded healthcare doesn't seem to have most Americans' support.
https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling ... ystem.aspx
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Dolan wrote:80% of blue collar workers or 80% of all workers support state-funded health care?

Because from I've seen, state-funded healthcare doesn't seem to have most Americans' support.
https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling ... ystem.aspx

psst @Dolan that gallup is from 2015 :shock:
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

There was a Mercatus Center (Koch funded libertarian) poll that showed it at 75% last fall. I think the whole healthcare thing has changed drastically in the last 12-16 months due to the repeal effort from the GOP.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... gressives/
this is more recent, and as you might see, things are changing ;) This gallup is from August 2018
medicare for all gallup.PNG

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... -democrats
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Wanting healthcare for everyone and truly being like some European countries is still quite the difference though.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

momuuu wrote:Wanting healthcare for everyone and truly being like some European countries is still quite the difference though.

America would have to get even more racist
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

momuuu wrote:Wanting healthcare for everyone and truly being like some European countries is still quite the difference though.

Wanting to be like Europeans was not the issue here, and I doubt it will be a catching slogan on the campaign for any presidental candidate running
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

deleted_user wrote:

America would have to get even more racist

Sounds like a challenge
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Its the economics stupid ;) In USA and Worldwide.
A new report reveals that the very rich got even 12% richer last year, while the working ppl who actually create the wealth have only stagnations of wages, past - present and probably in the future as well if nothing radical is changed in the "systems". There is the World Economic Forum taking place now, in Davos. I think most of the rich ppl see the danger, and the social unrest it does around the World.
I will post what the executive chairman say about the biggest threats to the economy. He names inequality, flawed tax system, lack of educations for needs of tomorrows need on the labor market, and also the access to it in general, and not only for ppl of wealth.
Other than that, I don't hope the rick ppl attending the Forum - choke on the Russian Caviar ;) or the peanuts they are handing out to YOU :!:
https://youtu.be/vlPHamvvNf8
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

something is rotten in America, it stinks
https://youtu.be/wH4VbuNfbuE
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

as @fightinfrenchman said. Kamala is the frontrunner. No surprise that the MSM are jumping on.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

This is good, Trump got a ton of free publicity which helped him win and hopefully the media overcorrects and does it with a Dem
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

well, she's already getting birthered so she must be doing something right
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:This is good, Trump got a ton of free publicity which helped him win and hopefully the media overcorrects and does it with a Dem

how about you start defending the ppl you want to be elected? why do you defend these particular candidates?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iwillspankyou wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:This is good, Trump got a ton of free publicity which helped him win and hopefully the media overcorrects and does it with a Dem

how about you start defending the ppl you want to be elected? why do you defend these particular candidates?

I will defend any Democratic candidate because I want any of them to win over Trump
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:

I will defend any Democratic candidate because I want any of them to win over Trump

you spank any progressive candidates, and pro every corporate one. What are you at? how about defending your favorite ones? Instead of attacking common sense?
https://youtu.be/cpbbuaIA3Ds
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

What does it mean for a candidate to be "progressive" exactly
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

As I've reflected on it further though, I will say that I think one of the most important qualities a Democratic candidate can have is attrractiveness. For that reason Tulsi Gabbard is no longer in last place, and Bernie Sanders is the worst
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fighting Frenchman wrote:What does it mean for a candidate to be "progressive" exactly

it means narrowing the inequality gap, and getting health care as a human right, and getting an education that you are skilled for, and not payed for
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

My argument is that none of those things are going to happen under a Republican president, and those problems will only get worse. Any Democrat is going to be better, even if it is one you dislike
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:My argument is that none of those things are going to happen under a Republican president, and those problems will only get worse. Any Democrat is going to be better, even if it is one you dislike

the global eco is going to shreds, and the global health is gonna rek us all. if we don't do drastic change. Witch one of your candidates will have good ideas about those issues?
And what about 10% of US ppl that dont have health insurance? and how about so many that can't pay their deductibles? Is this the status quo you want?