US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by lejend »

What about when Obama was president? Vermont passed a socialized medicine law in 2011 but abandoned it three years later. Why?

These are rhetorical questions, obviously. The reality is that socialized medicine is plain infeasible, and Republican obstruction has nothing to do with it.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The money is certainly there, all they would need to do is cut the military budget by like 1%. Don't be telling me the US really needs to be spending almost a trillion on "defense".
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, also if they just cut the military budget by an additional 1%, they could easily afford universal basic income. But they just lack the willingness to do so.

United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

lejend wrote:Liberals have supermajorities in the state legislatures of California and Vermont, home of Bernie Sanders. What's stopping them from passing socialized medicine there?

The difference between a state and the federal government is that one controls the printing press and the other doesn't. While the federal government is supposed to run deficits in order to increase the supply of money, states can only spend what they take in. State finances are like a household or a company, but the federal government's finances are like the pretty girl that just smiles and gets everything handed to her. The point being that states would have to tax to the equivalent of all the money spent on healthcare (a stupidly high amount), but Washington doesn't. Although, a lot of leftists don't understand this, so I don't know what their excuse is.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

lejend wrote:What about when Obama was president? Vermont passed a socialized medicine law in 2011 but abandoned it three years later. Why?

These are rhetorical questions, obviously. The reality is that socialized medicine is plain infeasible, and Republican obstruction has nothing to do with it.

It is feasible. It’s just more so federally like the current socialized medical plans.
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

lejend wrote:What about when Obama was president? Vermont passed a socialized medicine law in 2011 but abandoned it three years later. Why?

Demonestratedly feasible in all sorts of capitalist democratic republics: UK, Japan, Germany, Taiwan, Switzerland.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I still don't see why socialized medicine can work only on the national level. Isn't Canada's system essentially province-based, the federal government mainly just transferring funds from one province to another? Democrats have had supermajority control in several states over the past two decades. Not a single one of them has chosen to implement socialized medicine?
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

deleted_user wrote:
legend wrote:What about when Obama was president? Vermont passed a socialized medicine law in 2011 but abandoned it three years later. Why?

Demonstrated feasible in all sorts of capitalist democratic republics: UK, Japan, Germany, Taiwan, Switzerland.

I also don't get why it's either one way or the other. If you look at Switzerland, we do have universal healthcare mixed with a private system. Everybody is forced to have health care but people can choose from which insurance company they get the insurance. The insurance company can't refuse you for universal insurance. The universal insurance covers the medical costs. The private aspect is that for example if you get an upgrade to semi-private insurance that in your hospital room there will be only 2 people instead of 6.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

bobabu wrote:I also on't get why it's either one way or the other. If you look at Switzerland, we do have universal healthcare mixed with a private system. Everybody is forced to have health care but people can choose from which insurance company they get the insurance. The insurance company can't refuse you for universal insurance. The universal insurance covers the medical costs. The private aspect is that for example if you get an upgrade to semi-private insurance that in your hospital room there will be only 2 people instead of 6.

Sounds like a plan. So how come not a single Democratic state wants to implement such a system?
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

The most important thing is to fix the shitty process of electing the Democratic nominee. And Joe Biden wouldn't do shit about it if elected.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

lejend wrote:
bobabu wrote:I also don't get why it's either one way or the other. If you look at Switzerland, we do have universal healthcare mixed with a private system. Everybody is forced to have health care but people can choose from which insurance company they get insurance. The insurance company can't refuse you for universal insurance. The universal insurance covers medical costs. The private aspect is that for example if you get an upgrade to semi-private insurance that in your hospital room there will be only 2 people instead of 6.

Sounds like a plan. So how come not a single Democratic state wants to implement such a system?

Well. Tons of problems.
In the US such a system would lack the needed oversight and rules.
Most of the elections aren't policy based. But based on personality. Most of the voters wouldn't even comprehend such a system. People here are talking about policies but most of the policies from both parties candidates are simply bullshit. With Migrants, you should probably be talking about the Cobb Douglas function but no candidate is doing that. They just throw around some random numbers. So it's probably better not to look at policies but the overall direction. It should be policies but since they are all bad due to the election system that doesn't help much.
We do not select our leaders by a popular vote.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

bobabu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
legend wrote:What about when Obama was president? Vermont passed a socialized medicine law in 2011 but abandoned it three years later. Why?

Demonstrated feasible in all sorts of capitalist democratic republics: UK, Japan, Germany, Taiwan, Switzerland.

I also don't get why it's either one way or the other. If you look at Switzerland, we do have universal healthcare mixed with a private system. Everybody is forced to have health care but people can choose from which insurance company they get the insurance. The insurance company can't refuse you for universal insurance. The universal insurance covers the medical costs. The private aspect is that for example if you get an upgrade to semi-private insurance that in your hospital room there will be only 2 people instead of 6.

Ye, universal* would have been the more correct adjective.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

bobabu wrote:
lejend wrote:
bobabu wrote:I also don't get why it's either one way or the other. If you look at Switzerland, we do have universal healthcare mixed with a private system. Everybody is forced to have health care but people can choose from which insurance company they get insurance. The insurance company can't refuse you for universal insurance. The universal insurance covers medical costs. The private aspect is that for example if you get an upgrade to semi-private insurance that in your hospital room there will be only 2 people instead of 6.

Well. Tons of problems.
Most of the elections aren't policy based. But based on personality. Most of the voters wouldn't even comprehend such a system. People here are talking about policies but most of the policies from both parties candidates are simply bullshit. With Migrants, you should probably be talking about the Cobb Douglas function but no candidate is doing that. They just throw around some random numbers. So it's probably better not to look at policies but the overall direction. It should be policies but since they are all bad due to the election system that doesn't help much.

What about on the local/state level? In Vermont, home of Bernie Sanders, where a majority of residents favor socialized medicine according to the polls, the Democrats campaigned on the idea and won a supermajority of seats in the legislature, as well as the governorship. They even passed a socialized medicine bill into law, but then they abandoned the whole thing years later. Why? Isn't it important to save people from dying due to lack of health care?
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

lejend wrote:
bobabu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well. Tons of problems.

What about the local/state level? In Vermont, home of Bernie Sanders, where a majority of residents favor socialized medicine according to the polls, the Democrats campaigned on the idea and won a supermajority of seats in the legislature, as well as the governorship. They even passed a socialized medicine bill into law, but then they abandoned the whole thing years later. Why? Isn't it important to save people from dying due to lack of health care?

God even straight out of my head without informing myself I can give you plenty of reasons. Just think about it. A universal health care system doesn't benefit the healthy. So it makes sense to leave the state in order to get cheaper health care somewhere else if you are healthy. That's basic game theory. Also if only some insurance companies in one state do this they won't have much power over the drug companies making it impossible to bargain. You will have a system where there are too many sick people and weak insurance companies. But there are many more reasons and I am not gonna list them all.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

kami_ryu wrote:health care in the USA is a fucking joke lol

I pay so much and get shit coverage if I need to be treated

there are no better options

https://www.gofundme.com/
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The whole country US of A is built based on gold rush mentality.

All the systems in the USA are geared towards private hands maximising profits.

Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Dolan wrote:The whole country US of A is built based on gold rush mentality.

I think i get what you mean.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

@lejend like i said, it is not easy to integrate federal money into the program, which is absolutely necessary. Also, in Vermont, corporations that operated in multiple states had exceptions, so there goes a large funding base. Running a public option at a state level is probably possible, but makes no sense due to the scale of the issue compared to running it on a national level where such systems already exist and thrive (74% have at least a somewhat favorable opinion of Medicaid).
mad cuz bad
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

lejend wrote:I still don't see why socialized medicine can work only on the national level. Isn't Canada's system essentially province-based, the federal government mainly just transferring funds from one province to another? Democrats have had supermajority control in several states over the past two decades. Not a single one of them has chosen to implement socialized medicine?

I don't know much about Canada's system, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems like the federal government is the one footing the bill, according to: https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/us-v ... fferences/

"Additionally, care is provided by plans created in each province or territory, rather than a single, unified federal health plan. The Canadian government pays into these plans, but each territory and province is responsible for taking this money to create their own system under the guidelines set forth by Canadian Health Act (CHA)."
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:What's wrong with the merchants?

Nothin' at all. These leftists who press for universal, state-funded healthcare seem to be hellbent on making my uncle, Larry, who's making lots of geshefts in private US healthcare, poorer.
Such a hateful bunch, smh.

Pic related
[spoiler=my uncle Larry]Image[/spoiler]
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@fightinfrenchman Why are you proposing stuff that would make my uncle Larry poorer? Do you have something against him?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Poor Larry :sad:
At least he'll get free health care
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Dolan wrote:The whole country US of A is built based on gold rush mentality.

That's just some guy washing his hands man
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums