US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

https://youtu.be/A2nklduvThs
I think this explains some of the issues, and as I said, its not black or white.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

What the video shows is that Ukraine had a turbulent recent history and that Crimea was subjected to numerous ethnic engineering projects, the worst conducted by Stalin who removed the native, majority population of Tatars and replaced it with Russians.

So it actually doesn't really support your point that this is a situation that would be best described in shades of grey. The matter of fact remains that Ukraine is and was a sovereign state and its borders have been breached and one big portion of its territory has been annexed by Russia using military force. It doesn't really matter much what kind of tricks they used to justify this, that they organised a sham referendum to justify such a breach of international treaties. The issue still remains that Russia is an occupying force in Crimea and that they have also funded and instigated eastern Ukraine to break away from Ukraine.

Sure, if you go back in history far enough, you could find any fact you want to support your point of view, you could even find that Norway doesn't belong to Norwegians, or that Hungarians belong in Central Asia, because they arrived in Europe at the end of the 9th century. So Hungary's neighbours should invade its territory and claim it for themselves, right? It doesn't work like that because modern borders have already been agreed by international treaties. And that's what Russia has trampled under foot, by invading Crimea.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Dolan wrote:What the video shows is that Ukraine had a turbulent recent history and that Crimea was subjected to numerous ethnic engineering projects, the worst conducted by Stalin who removed the native, majority population of Tatars and replaced it with Russians.

So it actually doesn't really support your point that this is a situation that would be best described in shades of grey. The matter of fact remains that Ukraine is and was a sovereign state and its borders have been breached and one big portion of its territory has been annexed by Russia using military force. It doesn't really matter much what kind of tricks they used to justify this, that they organised a sham referendum to justify such a breach of international treaties. The issue still remains that Russia is an occupying force in Crimea and that they have also funded and instigated eastern Ukraine to break away from Ukraine.

Sure, if you go back in history far enough, you could find any fact you want to support your point of view, you could even find that Norway doesn't belong to Norwegians, or that Hungarians belong in Central Asia, because they arrived in Europe at the end of the 9th century. So Hungary's neighbours should invade its territory and claim it for themselves, right? It doesn't work like that because modern borders have already been agreed by international treaties. And that's what Russia has trampled under foot, by invading Crimea.

That's a load of it, even coming from you.
I know you mostly see things as black or white, or you pretend to do so, just for the sake of the argument. When it comes to Russia, its all bad, all black.

Anyway, its no use having a discussion with a person who cannot see the pros and cons. It's too exhausting, and at the end of the day, unfertile.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wtf_am_i_reading.webp

No, I am not saying everything about Russia is black or negative. I am saying there's no doubt here that Russia has invaded another sovereign country and annexed their territory.

I'm not blaming the Russian people for that and it doesn't mean everything Russia does is bad either. It just means that in this particular situation Russia did the wrong thing. They did it for their own strategic reasons, I know, but they're acting like an imperial power that is above any rules.

You can criticise the West for anything, but nobody from the West (or NATO) is invading other countries and annexing their territory or trying to reshape international borders, in full disregard of international treaties and laws.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

You can criticise the West for anything, but nobody from the West (or NATO) is invading other countries and annexing their territory or trying to reshape international borders, in full disregard of international treaties and laws.

hmm, you sure about that :huh:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, USA obviously made a huge mistake when they invaded Iraq to remove Saddam from power. It was such a major fuckup, we're still feeling the effects of that terrible mistake. But the USA didn't do that to get more territory, like Russia. Their ostensible reason was to make sure Iraq will not invade Kuwait again. Remember where it all started from? Iraq invaded Kuweit, so they weren't really that innocent in this story either.

In Afghanistan, in the so-called War on Terror, they didn't really invade, they worked with Afghan authorities who allowed them to fight rebel forces there. And they will at some point leave the country.

Since then, the West and NATO have avoided putting boots on the ground in any military operations. In Lybia there were just air raids, largely the same in Syria too.

I'm not saying the West and NATO are Snow White either, but they're not really invading other countries and occupying them, like Russia does in the 21st century.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Let's keep it on topic
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I'm not saying the West and NATO are Snow White either, but they're not really invading other countries and occupying them, like Russia does in the 21st century.

I kind of got the impression that you were saying just that. Must be me, silly me :P
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Let's keep it on topic

This is not so far off topic as you think it is. Right now, the crazy :ear: to Trump is planning a war against Iran, that would be devastating to you, and generations to come. If Trump should fire somebody it should be Bolton and "pompeii" :shock:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It wouldn't really affect me materially at all
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:It wouldn't really affect me materially at all

I guess the war with Irak did not affect you economically :?: If it did, you could quadruple that, and still pay rents for the next generations.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

your answer is really shilling, and not taking in to account all the ppl who died, or got wounded, or got displaced. Is that how you think of your foreign policies, what profit you, and what does not :idea:
Think you got from C to D-
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iwillspankyou wrote:

your answer is really shilling, and not taking in to account all the ppl who died, or got wounded, or got displaced. Is that how you think of your foreign policies, what profit you, and what does not :idea:

That's now how I view foreign policy and I am clearly opposed to war with Iran. I'm just saying I am very privileged so I probably wouldn't be economically "devastated" by it.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:

That's now how I view foreign policy and I am clearly opposed to war with Iran. I'm just saying I am very privileged so I probably wouldn't be economically "devastated" by it.

I am privileged aswell, but I still have my emotions intact and the ability of empathy :idea:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I specified materially for that exact reason!
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I specified materially for that exact reason!

leave me out of your telethon then, or be sincere of what you are.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I think you're misunderstanding me. I oppose a war with Iran on moral grounds because it would be totally useless and cause a lot of human suffering. It's not out of self-interest because, if I didn't care, I would be able to ignore it.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

well, you got a C+ ;) you are surging @fightinfrenchman :P
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I obviously think it is very bad, that's why I spent a bunch of time and money trying to make sure Trump didn't win in 2016.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I obviously think it is very bad, that's why I spent a bunch of time and money trying to make sure Trump didn't win in 2016.

problem is, you would get pretty similar policies with Biden. It's strange that you do not see it :?:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Biden supports the Iran Deal, Trump doesn't and pulled out of it. They are clearly different in this area